Sadisticnoob
High Supremacy Member
- Joined
- Jun 12, 2006
- Messages
- 39,791
- Reaction score
- 1,811
i never use the last 5 gears on my mini velo too roads here too flatActually, its the ratio of the front chain ring to the rear sprocket.. that is, the gear ratio, that confuses you.
Not all rear sprocket is the same. On a standard cassette, the smallest is normally 11T. In some extreme cases, the smallest sprocket is 9T (shimano capreo).
Simple maths... 53/11, 58/14 or 53/9 biggest? I am simplifying things.. for most cyclists (me included) can never use the largest gear with reasonable cadence.
I have personally seen 53/9 on 406 wheels charging down changi coastal. That sight, to me, is one of the most unforgettable scene in my cycling history. He overtook two road bike pelotons before disappearing from my sight. The rider is a hardcore cyclist who always ride road bikes on long distances so that's why he can sustain such incredibly high gearing.
Birdy is indeed very fast and comfortable. I know.. cuz i cycled with birdy cyclists before and i also know the birdy admin.
maybe go with him to buy, buy what he likes as thats what teenagers areHi, need your kind advice here. I'm planning to purchase a bicycle for my 15 year old younger brother for his birthday in Feb. Not too sure about the different bicycle terms here. He uses his bicycle quite often, from going to school, playing soccer and going to shops and on occasion riding at Park connectors with his peers. The bicycle he is currently using is some cheapo giant bicycle that is more than 5 years old. I guess this would be a practical gift to him. Budget not more than $300, the lesser the cost the better hahaha![]()
dont upgrade to capero hubs, just change to a bigger chain ring. i dont believe in using propietary technologyHaving 9t at the back is almost 1x faster! I understand the ratio. Big front crank drive small cog = Speed.
If the rider you mention rides a 58/9 wouldnt he be flying. :O
Maybe I will get this http://www.togoparts.com/marketplace/ad-details/876053/birdy-2015-new-model-standard-9-speed-disc
And then if I feel lacking. I upgrade to capreo hubs.![]()
with training can hit 34kph comfortably, i dont ride ooften now maybe once in 2 weeks but still can ride at 40kph in slipstream if i need to . just wear heart rate montior and train. the faster you ride, the faster you get home to sleepThat is.. provided you have the strength to pedal and maintain cadence at this gear ratio 58/9. It all depends on whether the person's engine can take it.
My friend's Birdie with capreo is already cruising at 32-34kmh while his heart beat barely enters zone 4.
The bad thing about capreo cassette is that the gear jumps are quite crazy. Very hard to keep spinning consistently.
I will stick to 23-12 ten speed cassette. I am a weak rider. 53/14 on 451 wheels is already quite tough for me to handle.
One thing about capreo hub is that the tooling is different. Not many bike shops have the necessary cassette removal tool.
Thnx. So any mountain bike will do? Or?? Hmmm
you have 2 options, a mtb or a mini velo. mini velo its quite small can park inside3 house



But till now, I am still finding cameras with battery that can last at least 4 hours or longer.