Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 6

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone and every cyclist brother and sister here. I am new to this threads. Very nice to read this page. .

I would like to ask or seek some help /enquiries or guides here.

I am looking for either Hybrid bicycle or mountain bicycle . My budget is around $600-$850 max price range .

Shiming is it a fake Shimano ? I never see properly and I thought is Shimano that why I bought in

My purpose and area of cycling is PCN , Parks , footpaths , neighbour lesuire and recreational cycling and Some time /occasionally on the roads . And doing some food delivery on bicycle.

I hope someone can recommend me what brands to go to for hybrid bicycle and mountain bike..

Hybrid is those bike can go trails and have the speed of road bike right ?

For $600-850 no need to settle for questionable parts - the link you showed has an array of Shinming RD, Tongli Disc Brake callipers and Taichang Brake + Shifter combo!

Based on your use case and terrain you are correct - a Hybrid and MTB would fit nicely. Nope Hybrids are meant to be an all terrain commuter not a dedicated offroad bike. If front suspension is included it is mostly entry level meant to provide comfort for rough terrain not actually go offroad on intermediate/advance courses! If i were you i would either get

a) Rigid Hybrid (no front suspension) and get thicker tires in long run if want more comfort or
b) Hardtail MTB and get commuter/semi slicks tires in long run to be more efficient in the terrain you want to cycle on

connieyen2000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For $600-850 no need to settle for questionable parts - the link you showed has an array of Shinming RD, Tongli Disc Brake callipers and Taichang Brake + Shifter combo!

Based on your use case and terrain you are correct - a Hybrid and MTB would fit nicely. Nope Hybrids are meant to be an all terrain commuter not a dedicated offroad bike. If front suspension is included it is mostly entry level meant to provide comfort for rough terrain not actually go offroad on intermediate/advance courses! If i were you i would either get

a) Rigid Hybrid (no front suspension) and get thicker tires in long run if want more comfort or
b) Hardtail MTB and get commuter/semi slicks tires in long run to be more efficient in the terrain you want to cycle on
I am currently using the anmier 370 bike with the questionable parts as what you say

Shiming
Taichung
Tong LI

Shi ming is a inmiate of Shimano right

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am currently using the anmier 370 bike with the questionable parts as what you say

Shiming
Taichung
Tong LI

Shi ming is a inmiate of Shimano right
not sure but does it have anywhere near the tried and tested record of Shimano - definitely not o_O

whoooo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bicycle noob here , think my disc brake is contaminated w oil as when I brake the front and rear brake got those irritation sound. I google and seem that I need to change the brake pad and clean the disc rotor

my bike is a rocker rider using Hayes mx5 anybro change the brake pad before? Can help advise me?

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bicycle noob here , think my disc brake is contaminated w oil as when I brake the front and rear brake got those irritation sound. I google and seem that I need to change the brake pad and clean the disc rotor

my bike is a rocker rider using Hayes mx5 anybro change the brake pad before? Can help advise me?
learnt a DIY trick for suspected contaminated pads by "cooking" them. used the kitchen stove instead of propane torch in the video below :p

t33jay

Reaction score
I need to adjust my rear derailleur. It won't to to the smallest cog. I have tried hours adjusting myself following YouTube vids. Only made it worse.

Any recommended cheap bike repair shop? Preferably around centre or west side.

Tia

Scherzinger

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey all, looking for a foldie for me and my gf

Budget around 500-800 for each

Any recommendation? Thanks!

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I need to adjust my rear derailleur. It won't to to the smallest cog. I have tried hours adjusting myself following YouTube vids. Only made it worse.
Any recommended cheap bike repair shop? Preferably around centre or west side.
Tia

Maybe u tightened the cable too much or you have not set the high limit screw correctly.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

boiboi123

Reaction score
Hello all!

would love you advice please. Got a Java Zelo v2 (20inch) and want to take it around on public transport. Any suggestion on a convenient way to do so? Was thinking of getting a bag or carrier like this one https://shopee.sg/product/235348163/8313230479?smtt=0.78838351-1622105595.9

one related issue is that when I fold the bicycle, it seems slightly troublesome to wheel around because the joint where it folds doesn’t stay - it keeps unfolding. Is there a way to keep it folded in place, maybe some rubber band?
Thank you!

jennlimm

Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking to get my first bike, does anyone have any recommendation? Just for casually riding on the weekends, at parks. Maybe ~20km

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking to get my first bike, does anyone have any recommendation? Just for casually riding on the weekends, at parks. Maybe ~20km

How many rides have u done recently? If very long never ride... Maybe go rent bikes to ride first. When confirm this hobby then buy. Inside park/pcn, get a foldable bike with 20 inch wheels.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

kikuzushi

Reaction score
Hello all!

would love you advice please. Got a Java Zelo v2 (20inch) and want to take it around on public transport. Any suggestion on a convenient way to do so? Was thinking of getting a bag or carrier like this one https://shopee.sg/product/235348163/8313230479?smtt=0.78838351-1622105595.9

one related issue is that when I fold the bicycle, it seems slightly troublesome to wheel around because the joint where it folds doesn’t stay - it keeps unfolding. Is there a way to keep it folded in place, maybe some rubber band?
Thank you!
U can try installing magnetic buckle at $10 with labour cost. Else the buckle is $4.90.

btw how is ur ride? Thinking of getting Zelo too.

boiboi123

Reaction score
U can try installing magnetic buckle at $10 with labour cost. Else the buckle is $4.90.

btw how is ur ride? Thinking of getting Zelo too.
Thank you! Do you know of any shop that does it?
It’s been good for me, I stick to parks and Pcn. The gripe I have is that it feels a bit clunky and while it is easy enough to fold and store, I still haven’t tried bringing it around on public transport. For now even as I carry it a few steps at home, the trouble I have is that the wheels don’t stay closed and I can’t really wheel it on the ground properly

gameboy234

Reaction score
My mountainbike tyre punctured. Tyre size is 26*1.95.
May i know what tyre to change for a faster ride?
Wondering if can get those road bike tyre? Not sure if rim is suitable.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My mountainbike tyre punctured. Tyre size is 26*1.95.
May i know what tyre to change for a faster ride?
Wondering if can get those road bike tyre? Not sure if rim is suitable.
i am guessing your 1.95" tyre threads are designed for offroad use correct? believe it or not many have used much thicker up to 2.5" tyres on MTBs but with commuter threads and they are more efficient for commuter use and wear much slower too ^^ How thin/thick a tyre one can fit depends on how thick your current rim is - there is a table online to use as a guide but if i had to guess your current MTB would be fine for any tyre between 1.25"- 2.4"?

LISAONG

Reaction score
Guys newbie here, got a question on what chain to buy for my Aleoca Mactec Mountain Bike

1) should i get the chain for 6/7/8 or 9 or 10 or 11 speed? my gear show a a few gears 2 3 4 5 etc
what are the screwdriver to unlock the old chain and reattached the new chain.

2) the gear wire, someone cut it as my bike is locked at void deck, what kind of replacement wire to buy? i wonder why people cut gear wire eh?

if bring to bike shop, how much they charge?

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys newbie here, got a question on what chain to buy for my Aleoca Mactec Mountain Bike

1) should i get the chain for 6/7/8 or 9 or 10 or 11 speed? my gear show a a few gears 2 3 4 5 etc
what are the screwdriver to unlock the old chain and reattached the new chain.

2) the gear wire, someone cut it as my bike is locked at void deck, what kind of replacement wire to buy? i wonder why people cut gear wire eh?

if bring to bike shop, how much they charge?
#1 Hi your bike is advertised as 18 speed so i am guessing 3 x 6? So a replacement chain would be 6-8 speed kind as these are the correct thickness for your speed/drivetrain. Usually for low end bikes they dun have quicklink on the chain so you would need a chain breaker tool to remove it. Then size chain correctly and install with a quicklink for easy removal in future to wash/replace ^^

#2 Vandalism is my best guess - gear shifter cable not very ex and they charge by the meter?

Tbh by the time you get the replacement parts + shop service charges if anywhere close to $100 i would also consider moving on to a better bike made by Decathlon (Rockrider/Riverside) Or entry level MTBs from LeRun, Polygon, etc...

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.