ASUS R9 290 @ $428???

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Exactly, I don't care if my card runs at 50c or 85c. As long as it lasts for whatever duration i intend to use it for, I'm a happy customer.

Exactly, I don't care if my card runs at 85c or 105c. As long as I can't hear it & doesn't sound like an airbase, I'm a happy customer.
 

gs

Master Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2003
Messages
3,541
Reaction score
0
Higher temp over along time the display card will fail >.< that my exp thro Lolz >.<
 

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
8,735
Reaction score
2,326
Exactly, I don't care if my card runs at 85c or 105c. As long as I can't hear it & doesn't sound like an airbase, I'm a happy customer.

It really depends on your tolerance to noise, I use the stock intel cooler and it's way louder than my 6950. And that's still tolerable since it sits under my desk and in an antec p182 which is built with sound damping materials. :D
 

shawntyq

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
49,756
Reaction score
1,978
i normally tuned my fan to 70%-80%

cos i used earpiece lol.

and rig is on the floor.
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
It really depends on your tolerance to noise, I use the stock intel cooler and it's way louder than my 6950. And that's still tolerable since it sits under my desk and in an antec p182 which is built with sound damping materials. :D

The only thing I can barely hear during idle is the very low pitch hum of my hdds. During gaming, my 7870 fan speeds up but still negligible due to gaming sounds. But for BF3 & C3, fan is auto ramped to >60% and it becomes audible already.

Antec p280 here. Noise dampening is one of the reasons I dumped the phantom 410
 

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Messages
5,927
Reaction score
5
The only thing I can barely hear during idle is the very low pitch hum of my hdds. During gaming, my 7870 fan speeds up but still negligible due to gaming sounds. But for BF3 & C3, fan is auto ramped to >60% and it becomes audible already.

Antec p280 here. Noise dampening is one of the reasons I dumped the phantom 410

Use a headphone settle liao?
 

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Messages
5,927
Reaction score
5
Using HD25. Gives you a good idea how much I like a quiet rig.

Then u shld sound-proof your casing. :D

Anyway everyone has their threshold of loudness. For me, as long as the GPU fan doesnt overpower the 5.1 surround sound I get from my Edifier M1550, even if i underclock and undercool (set low fan profile) an R9 290, it will still perform better than my GTX 670. :)
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Then u shld sound-proof your casing. :D

What? Use more magnets? :s13:

xANBegf.jpg


I'd use fractal's fan slot foam cover, but then I'd lack positive pressure which allows me to not clean the casing ever. And still I would be able to hear my 7870 during BF3
 

shawntyq

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
49,756
Reaction score
1,978
What? Use more magnets? :s13:

xANBegf.jpg


I'd use fractal's fan slot foam cover, but then I'd lack positive pressure which allows me to not clean the casing ever. And still I would be able to hear my 7870 during BF3

got cute cute magnets :o
 

viktOzzz

Master Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
0
I don't think it'll be as disturbing as people thought it would. During gaming you're either on headphones or speakers . With the case on the floor I doubt you'll be distracted. Unless of course you manually ramp up the fan to more than 40%.

I'd still recommend this over the trix. Not worth the $70 more IMHO.
.

Precisely. Which is why it baffles me on why are people condemning reference cooler when they are gaming. Are they able to hear the sound of the cooler, with a good casing, and most prob, the casing is on the floor.

I've setup a rig for a friend before, using the fractal casing which have the sound proofing foam. With proper channeling of air flow, slightly powerful fan, and a stock reference cooler on his 7890, the card is still running pretty strong. No signs of overheating as we have swapped out the stock thermal paste for something better.

Back to this, the $70 savings, I can use it to bring my family out for a nice dinner , and perhaps a tube of good thermal paste. Just that I would be using 15mins*more to strip the card, clean out existing thermal paste, and reapply the better stuff over it.
 

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Messages
5,927
Reaction score
5
What? Use more magnets? :s13:

xANBegf.jpg


I'd use fractal's fan slot foam cover, but then I'd lack positive pressure which allows me to not clean the casing ever. And still I would be able to hear my 7870 during BF3

Use sound-proof foam. :)
 

Quest

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,587
Reaction score
14
is R9 290 performance compare GTX 760?

The price is very attractive.
 

Quest

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,587
Reaction score
14
just go google la lols. Tons of comparison charts. and rough performance gauge would be 290=780. And 780>770>760, hence 290>760

i had google already...
What i meant is the R9 290 worth to get instead of getting at GTX760, since the pricing is not tat great :vijayadmin:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top