ASUS R9 290 @ $428???

hengheng220

Master Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
4,424
Reaction score
7
i had google already...
What i meant is the R9 290 worth to get instead of getting at GTX760, since the pricing is not tat great :vijayadmin:

ah... if thats the question should have phrase it liddat ma lols misunderstood psps. back to the topic, depend on how much you willing to fork out and what how much do you mean by worth. IMO its not worth if you don't need its performance. Anyway here are the variants:

Asus ref card 290~ $428(Higher core temp and quite noisy but cheapest)
Sapphire 290 ~ $499 (Good non ref cooler, but 2 years warranty)
Powercolor 290 ~$499 ( Not bad non ref cooler, but slightly thicker iirc and 3 years warranty, one of the best priced 290 as of today)
MSI 290 ~ $529 (Good non ref cooler, slightly lower temp and quiet, lots of free gifts, but is on the slightly premium price)
Average 760 cost~ $320~$400

If i were you, i will take the 760 if i'm a light gamer running on 1080p monitor and will only pay for the 290 premium for heavy gaming usage. As for myself, I game at 1200p but regretted hooting the 290 as I seldom game after i gotten my rig. So in conclusion its up to your usage and your own preference.
 

Quest

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,587
Reaction score
14
I am looking LeadTek GTX760 @338 than i saw this promo R9290 @428.:eek:

So i was thinking the R9290 should be able to last longer than the GTX760 (in terms of running future game) right?? :vijayadmin:the diff is abt 90bucks...

I really dun wish to pay 500bucks for a gfx leh...heartpain :o:o



ah... if thats the question should have phrase it liddat ma lols misunderstood psps. back to the topic, depend on how much you willing to fork out and what how much do you mean by worth. IMO its not worth if you don't need its performance. Anyway here are the variants:

Asus ref card 290~ $428(Higher core temp and quite noisy but cheapest)
Sapphire 290 ~ $499 (Good non ref cooler, but 2 years warranty)
Powercolor 290 ~$499 ( Not bad non ref cooler, but slightly thicker iirc and 3 years warranty, one of the best priced 290 as of today)
MSI 290 ~ $529 (Good non ref cooler, slightly lower temp and quiet, lots of free gifts, but is on the slightly premium price)
Average 760 cost~ $320~$400

If i were you, i will take the 760 if i'm a light gamer running on 1080p monitor and will only pay for the 290 premium for heavy gaming usage. As for myself, I game at 1200p but regretted hooting the 290 as I seldom game after i gotten my rig. So in conclusion its up to your usage and your own preference.
 

KingJio

Master Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
0
I am looking LeadTek GTX760 @338 than i saw this promo R9290 @428.:eek:

So i was thinking the R9290 should be able to last longer than the GTX760 (in terms of running future game) right?? :vijayadmin:the diff is abt 90bucks...

I really dun wish to pay 500bucks for a gfx leh...heartpain :o:o

Depends also on what settings u wanna game at. 760 can play future games at 1080p but maybe not ultra settings. I'd personally recommend r9 290 for futureproofing, but of course if u intend to upgrade your gfx card yearly then it's a different story.
 

hengheng220

Master Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
4,424
Reaction score
7
I am looking LeadTek GTX760 @338 than i saw this promo R9290 @428.:eek:

So i was thinking the R9290 should be able to last longer than the GTX760 (in terms of running future game) right?? :vijayadmin:the diff is abt 90bucks...

I really dun wish to pay 500bucks for a gfx leh...heartpain :o:o

That's will be hard to say, seeing that watchdogs so unoptimised for pc even 290 have problem running it. And also the game was developed in partnership with nvidia, the performance of the 290 in the game does not justify its true power.But that's just one game out of the many game released on pc. Yes 290 can last slightly longer than 760, but are you ok with the noise level and heat of a 290 ma? If you are ok then just go ahead ba just don't look back can le lols. I bought my 290 for 640 iirc.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,323
Reaction score
6,586
I had a 9800XT running over a yr @ 90+ degree during gaming. Anyone still remember this card??? One of radeon hottest monster.

Get the 290 over 760.
 

Quest

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,587
Reaction score
14
Since u own a 290, have u encounter overheating of the gfx??

My old desktop has a 4870, there was a few times when i was playing diablo 3 which my 4780 overheat & screen just went dark....:s22::s22: and i can smell burn or something:s13:

Have to let it cool down for a while then i dare to power on again:o

That's will be hard to say, seeing that watchdogs so unoptimised for pc even 290 have problem running it. And also the game was developed in partnership with nvidia, the performance of the 290 in the game does not justify its true power.But that's just one game out of the many game released on pc. Yes 290 can last slightly longer than 760, but are you ok with the noise level and heat of a 290 ma? If you are ok then just go ahead ba just don't look back can le lols. I bought my 290 for 640 iirc.
 

hengheng220

Master Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
4,424
Reaction score
7
Since u own a 290, have u encounter overheating of the gfx??

My old desktop has a 4870, there was a few times when i was playing diablo 3 which my 4780 overheat & screen just went dark....:s22::s22: and i can smell burn or something:s13:

Have to let it cool down for a while then i dare to power on again:o

Nope so far no leh cause I'm a light user only occassionaly game. But even in crysis 3 max settings all still fine
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,287
Reaction score
420
By the time u ask finish, stocks OOS le... left 4 more days till promo is gone.
 

viktOzzz

Master Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
0
I had a 9800XT running over a yr @ 90+ degree during gaming. Anyone still remember this card??? One of radeon hottest monster.

Get the 290 over 760.

Yeah man. I remembered it was out of my budget, due to my Northwood 3.0C rig, thus, settled for the pro version, which is a AIB card that somehow, can be unlocked or clocked to near the XT performance. Of which, I only got the balls to do it after I got my artic cooler hsf for it.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,323
Reaction score
6,586
After using that card... what is HOT and NOISY??????

290 noise and heat is small cake. :s13: :D
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,323
Reaction score
6,586
4xx is temping le.... but i only game L4D2 @ 1440p... even thought i cant max all the settings on my GTX670...but still temping...
 

hengheng220

Master Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
4,424
Reaction score
7
4xx is temping le.... but i only game L4D2 @ 1440p... even thought i cant max all the settings on my GTX670...but still temping...

hahahaha l4D get so high end abit wasted hor... I think the problem with L4d is more of the internet connection than gpu problem... Everytime i join game my ping is like :s22::s22::s22::s22:
 

cenedra

Banned
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
11,121
Reaction score
0
4xx is temping le.... but i only game L4D2 @ 1440p... even thought i cant max all the settings on my GTX670...but still temping...


L4D2 very low GPU load leh. Im using 1440p as well, and L4D2 cant even max load my 7850 even with the highest settings

U can buy a 2nd hand 7850 for less than $150
 
Joined
Jun 13, 2014
Messages
3,894
Reaction score
0
To those who said 290 is noisy, I wonder if they have used it before.... I used to have 4 of them for mining LTC...

Its not noisy at all. The problem is actually with throttling, not noise.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
To those who said 290 is noisy, I wonder if they have used it before.... I used to have 4 of them for mining LTC...

Its not noisy at all. The problem is actually with throttling, not noise.

Ifs a ref blower. And yes it is hot and is not quiet at all.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top