ASUS R9 290 @ $428???

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
To those who said 290 is noisy, I wonder if they have used it before.... I used to have 4 of them for mining LTC...

Its not noisy at all. The problem is actually with throttling, not noise.

Run a 290 ref and a 290 TF/DC2 BF4 side by side and tell me if you still prefer the 290 helipad
 

Felfirez

Master Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
3,546
Reaction score
0
Run a 290 ref and a 290 TF/DC2 BF4 side by side and tell me if you still prefer the 290 helipad

It definitely doesn't sound like a helicopter but that's not the point. Again, once you're gaming, will you be able to hear it anyway? Unless you're displaying your computer on the table itself (which is eating up precious desk space anyway) I really don't see how it will distract anyone. Well, except if you're gaming in silence or whispering volume.

Again, that extra $70 doesn't justify for it IMHO. :)
 

hengheng220

Master Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
4,424
Reaction score
7
It definitely doesn't sound like a helicopter but that's not the point. Again, once you're gaming, will you be able to hear it anyway? Unless you're displaying your computer on the table itself (which is eating up precious desk space anyway) I really don't see how it will distract anyone. Well, except if you're gaming in silence or whispering volume.

Again, that extra $70 doesn't justify for it IMHO. :)

It's more of a personal preference imo. I do have my pc on my table and yes it does take up space, but I don't mind since the table is purely for my pc only I don't do my paper work there and also I don't like to place it below my table because the air will be trapped there making a small leh Warmer.

So since its on my table, it's Impt that the gpu run silent and even when I use the non ref Msi cooler, I can still hear it running when I game despite with speakers (can't on too loud due to neighbours). So I would say that the extra $70 do justify for the cooler, but if TS don't mind about the noise level then it's ok ba...
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,287
Reaction score
420
TS has 2 choices, save that $70 and get the ref card. If he feels that it is too loud, sell it and get non ref cooler. But he will lose more than that $70 savings.

Or, he can just get non ref cooler to avoid such issues.
 

viktOzzz

Master Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
0
Woah ho.... Just checked out speedpost that my card is due to arrive today.

Anyway, the savings is more than $70, due to the fact that I use dbs card on eplanetworld, and have a $20 rebate voucher for my next purchase. Now awaiting for mx100 256gb to be in..
 

Asslann

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2013
Messages
891
Reaction score
0
I would rather invest 70+ for a better card. Later too hot, parts gg, waste time to fix. Time is money already.
 

viktOzzz

Master Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
0
So far, my experiences with Asus cards on stock coolers had been pleasant. Secondly, I believe that with a good airflow channels in the casing, the card should be able to last me for at least 18months.

I mean look, this card is a reference card. I'm not looking into benchmark to break scores, just for gaming. I'll rather save the $70, or $90 in my case, and use it for other stuff.

Last but not least, the rule of thumbs for airflow for me, is to have proper exhaust system rather than have many intake system, which might cause turbulence.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,323
Reaction score
6,586
IS the stock 290 noisy? Yes, but not to a point of stupidly noisy.
 

KingJio

Master Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
0
So far, my experiences with Asus cards on stock coolers had been pleasant. Secondly, I believe that with a good airflow channels in the casing, the card should be able to last me for at least 18months.

I mean look, this card is a reference card. I'm not looking into benchmark to break scores, just for gaming. I'll rather save the $70, or $90 in my case, and use it for other stuff.

Last but not least, the rule of thumbs for airflow for me, is to have proper exhaust system rather than have many intake system, which might cause turbulence.

Actually the airflow in a com case is never laminar... Imo the most effective setup for ventilation would be neutral/ very slight positive pressure. The prob with intake cfm>>exhaust cfm is that there will be hot air left in the case which actually hampers effective cooling
 

hengheng220

Master Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
4,424
Reaction score
7
Lols no point arguing ts already bought the gpu and if he prefers stock cooler then let it be ba, is his money. But tbh I like the stock cooler aesthetic design more than the ones on market
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,323
Reaction score
6,586
Actually, like you, i also prefer stock design over other fancy hs design.
 

Quest

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,587
Reaction score
14
Is the rebate only for DBS???:s12:

Woah ho.... Just checked out speedpost that my card is due to arrive today.

Anyway, the savings is more than $70, due to the fact that I use dbs card on eplanetworld, and have a $20 rebate voucher for my next purchase. Now awaiting for mx100 256gb to be in..
 

hengheng220

Master Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
4,424
Reaction score
7
The noise is not as loud as it seem to be honest.

Hmmm I know i heard the ref cooler before, but I don't like the noise level cause my rig is on the table which is directly beside me and when I game I don't crank the volume too loud, so I can hear the cooler sound which I don't like. I tested out with my friends rig before and don't like it, so I think is more of a personal preference ba. Some don't mind, but some do. I think people if possible should go try both ref and non ref to see if they prefer which one.
 

Quest

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,587
Reaction score
14
i read they just need the first 6 digit of the card?
So how is the final payment going to be like? CC, paypal or COD?

Not sure if POSB card can or not. Some POSB atm cards are debit cards also.

Maybe u can try asking eplanetworld.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top