Barnes & Noble eReader - NOOK

jenny22

Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
256
Reaction score
0
Hi Lyn and Loretta - you're right, from the pics the iRiver cover fits perfectly! or it looks like that. But i think B&N has nice covers on its store.. Hmm now I'm really tempted - I'm deciding betw a Nook (about US$259 right; and onyx boox, which is about US$300). Since I dont really read pdf documents, and Boox still needs stylus etc maybe Nook is better for me -as long as I can do some highlighting etc - only for my bible ebook!
 

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2001
Messages
12,657
Reaction score
240
Hi - am so glad to see there are Nook owners! I'm actually seriously considering a nook. I've given up on the sony 600 and since i didnt like the glare factor there the 900 is a no-go for me too. But on the Nook - I know this qn was asked before - is there a workaround on purchasing ebooks with Spore credit card? Has anyone tried posb? (which works on Sony bookstore)? I tried a trial download, as my credit card details are there (Citi) since I've purchased B&N normal books in the past. But the system barred me for the usual reasons - ebooks and copyright issues etc bla bla nonsense. I just dont see the logic that if BooksonBoard accepts foreign credit cards, why can't B&N or Sony??

Also, I've read that the colour panel below can be rather unresponsive? Can someone comment? or perhaps the latest firmware upgrade fixed that?

Have you tried using wifi to actually buy a book? ie at the Sonybookstore, and does it download into Nook through the Nook itself. Or do you have to go the long way - download into sony library on computer and use usb to transfer?

Are you able to underline passages on Nook? or highlight?

Presumably library books no problem right - drm epub file format..

Thanks so much in advance
im using a spore cc to purchase ebooks from b&n. the very first version of nook is very unresponsive but after upgrading the fw it is very responsive now.
im using wifi at home to purchase the ebook by using the help of hotspot shield. just google it and u will know what i mean. once u purchased ebook from b&n, u check for new b&n contents from nook after u activated yr wifi it will automatically be inside yr nook. another way is to side load yr ebooks to my documents from nook using the usb cable.

so far i have only tried to highlight on nook.

have not tried library books yet...
 

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2001
Messages
12,657
Reaction score
240
Hi Lyn and Loretta - you're right, from the pics the iRiver cover fits perfectly! or it looks like that. But i think B&N has nice covers on its store.. Hmm now I'm really tempted - I'm deciding betw a Nook (about US$259 right; and onyx boox, which is about US$300). Since I dont really read pdf documents, and Boox still needs stylus etc maybe Nook is better for me -as long as I can do some highlighting etc - only for my bible ebook!

but do note the nice nice cover from b&n will make yr nook heavy...
 

jenny22

Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
256
Reaction score
0
Hi Loretta,
thanks so much for the quick replies! Ok - so on the credit card - the workaround is like for the posb card right - use a US billing address? I will experiment tonight.
Book covers heavy - hmm I'll keep that in mind.
How difficult/easy is the navigation betw books and your last read page? Is it like Sony where it automatically remembers your last read page? Can you also create folders for your books to organise them? thanks,
 

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2001
Messages
12,657
Reaction score
240
Hi Loretta,
thanks so much for the quick replies! Ok - so on the credit card - the workaround is like for the posb card right - use a US billing address? I will experiment tonight.
Book covers heavy - hmm I'll keep that in mind.
How difficult/easy is the navigation betw books and your last read page? Is it like Sony where it automatically remembers your last read page? Can you also create folders for your books to organise them? thanks,
To me the navigation is alright. Just scroll down and choose which ebook u want. Yes it will automatically rems yr last read page. When u hooked yr nook to pc and open the directory of nook there are a few folders. So why u need to create folder?
 

jenny22

Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
256
Reaction score
0
Ok so I just did a quick trial to purchase Hank Paulson's memoirs, using POSB card, and nope it didnt work! I believe the system detects through the IP address that I'm doing it from Spore. Can someone share how you are actually able to use a Spore credit card? thanks
 

almerickso

Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2005
Messages
212
Reaction score
0
you have to use this software called hot spot shield. its a vpn software that patches u to a server in the US.

so when the website checks where you are from, it will give a US IP address.
 

lyn_sg

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
@loretta: All I'd wanted to reply to Jenny has already been replied by you. You're so prompt ;) I can only try my best coz in the office at work hehe

@jenny: I got my nook from a local seller in eBay Singapore. I just checked again if the seller put it up again, but alas – not anymore.

Stage 1) What you can do for now is to look out for good bargains to purchase Nook through eBay.
Stage 2) Once you’ve got your hands on your very own Nook, you can follow the procedures I stated on my very first thread here.
Stage 3) When all goes well and fine (registration, upgrade, familiarizing yourself with your Nook etc..), then I believe you can attach your Singapore’ Credit Card to your ‘My Account’ details in B&N official website. Like I mentioned before, in my case: I don’t see the need to purchase any eBooks
From B&N coz there are thousands of free eBooks on the net, that’s why I don’t provide them any Cc details. Assumingly one day, if I want to – then, I’ll just do like what I just told you :)

Nonetheless, with a Wifi connection - I still managed to browse all B&N books (and yes, coloured bookcovers, of course) and periodicals (which are on sale) under ‘Shop’ on my Nook..

Points to take note, though:-
- You can look-up for a word in the built-in dictionary ONLY WHEN you’re reading B&N eBooks, and NOT anything you place in ‘My Documents’ of your Nook.

Like I also mentioned on one of my threads, this is something many Nook owners are hoping B&N to make possible someday ;)
 

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2001
Messages
12,657
Reaction score
240
you have to use this software called hot spot shield. its a vpn software that patches u to a server in the US.

so when the website checks where you are from, it will give a US IP address.

U need to use the above to bypass the ip address. Once this step is done everythig is smooth...
 

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2001
Messages
12,657
Reaction score
240
I got to disagree with the part on ebook in my documents unable to search for words. I tried yesterday to search for a word in a PDF book in my documents and nook is able to search for me.
 

jenny22

Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
256
Reaction score
0
thanks for the replies. On Nook purchase, but I read on forums of people being able to purchase Nook directly from bn.com.. (and belatedly realising that they can only access online bn bookstore when they're in the US, and not otherwise!) anyway once I decide i'll search on ebay as well. It's all very interesting!
 

lyn_sg

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Last edited:

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2001
Messages
12,657
Reaction score
240
Seaching for a word in your PDF in your 'My Documents' works absolutely fine.
However, you can't look-up for a word to know the definitions of the word.
Shortly put - the usage of the Dictionary.. That was what I was implying.. ;)

BTW, this is the link below to show ALL Nook owners worldwide - are certainly facing the same... :)

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=dictionary#message-list

Sorry for the misinterpretation. So far have not tried using the dictionary yet. But 1 thing abt nook is that when u ask to search for a word nook will start to search from the page u r in till the end of the ebook instead from the beginning of the ebook.
 

lyn_sg

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
@loretta: No problem..Just didn't wish 'to-be Nook owners' to get depressed over wrong information ;)

BTW, again - on how you change the correspondence request after you log-in
to 'My Account'. Click the 'Communication Preferences' then under 'Contact me by:'
click on 'Email'.

Here's the snapshot: i48.tinypic.com/103tksm.jpg
Of course, I have to cover my personal details in pink ;)
 

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2001
Messages
12,657
Reaction score
240
@loretta: No problem..Just didn't wish 'to-be Nook owners' to get depressed over wrong information ;)

BTW, again - on how you change the correspondence request after you log-in
to 'My Account'. Click the 'Communication Preferences' then under 'Contact me by:'
click on 'Email'.

Here's the snapshot: i48.tinypic.com/103tksm.jpg
Of course, I have to cover my personal details in pink ;)

Thanks. In fact since day 1 I'm subscribed to b&n it's just that I put them in spam hahah...
 

jenny22

Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
256
Reaction score
0
Hi - can you actually use the colour panel to browse sites other than bn bookstore? ie, is it actually a browser; can you download newspapers, for instance? thanks!
 

lyn_sg

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
If Nook can indeed browse other sites too apart from their B&N Store, then the upcoming
Apple's iPad - has not much anticipation from many potential buyers when iPad launch in March, then. And that only ends to Steve Jobs having no job at the end of the day hehe :D Pun intended.

Anyway...

With Wifi connected - You can only browse the B&N Store, as below Main Page of 'Shop' on the touch-screen panel.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ugowau.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/euk3m0.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/2naigba.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/xpo42d.jpg

Sorry..my Nokia E63 is not great at taking close-ups pics, so rather blurrish.
Nonetheless, as you can see on those pics (or can barely see):

The main page offers a wide range, for a start:-

- eBooks
- Magazines
- Newspapers
- Best Sellers
- New Releases
- B&N Recommends
- New York Times Best-Sellers
- Romance Top 100
- Teens Top 100

I browsed the 'Newspapers' section once, and mostly major periodicals of US.
However, there are International ones too. But just a few e.g, Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times etc. (which is great for peeps like me, whom are in the Banking/Finance Industry..).

Bottom-end: Don't expect B&N to list Singapore's 'The Straits Times' ;)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top