best 1mil term plan now

foozgarden

Master Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
2,980
Reaction score
1
Yes they are both Term plans, but a Personal Insurance and a Group Insurance differs greatly.

Few things that i can think of quickly:

- You cannot write a Will on Group Insurance.
- You cannot own the SAF Group Insurance policy. (cos its not yours)
- Group Insurance is subjected group liability. i.e. SAF
- Your SAF coverage, however much you have, will get reduced back to $100k from 65yo onwards.
- Premiums for SAF riders are not fixed. They increases as you age.

if we are just interested in death and TPD .. then the cheapest term premium will be best?

also, correct me if i am wrong, but if both term plans are claimable, would i say that 500k each on both the aviva would be a best of both world? (total will be 1mil)
 

life_is_great

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2016
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
if we are just interested in death and TPD .. then the cheapest term premium will be best?

also, correct me if i am wrong, but if both term plans are claimable, would i say that 500k each on both the aviva would be a best of both world? (total will be 1mil)

Both term plans are claimable for death. you can have 1mil death with every company in singapore. Say 5 polices with 1mil each. You can claim 5mil upon death.

It is better to put the whole 5mil on one policy as there is a large sum discount. :)

Not forgetting, the Aviva term plan will entitle you to the 20% disc only if the sum insured for death is 1mil and above.
 

chopra

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
50,516
Reaction score
678
Just curious does AXA offer rebate if claim rate is low.

I signed up only last year but im very certain that it does not.

I understand aviva does.

2cents.


All in all, im glad that people are considering 1mill term. Rem, 1mill today is 500k 24yrs later (rule of 72 assuming 3% inflation)

(about the time ur dependants finish leeching u).
 

foozgarden

Master Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
2,980
Reaction score
1
Aviva term do cover critical illness accelerate rider till age 99. Not sure where you get the info from....

yes, they do . i got a quote already. till 99. premium is 5k+ (not yet disc)

was wondering, how many years you guys get the term coverage till?
75? 85? 99?
 

FrontierX

Banned
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
6,787
Reaction score
238
What is DIY insurance?

guys, please let me know the best term plan for 500k-$1m.

30yo this year August, non smoker male.

PMs are welcomed.

Disclaimer:im not obliged to reply you if your policy is not competitive.
 

13luetooth

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
3
Guys, I am at my mid-20s and I would like to ask how does this insurance thing usually go about?

As usual, when I try to find out more about insurance, all the agents and even friends who work as insurance agent offers me nothing but ILP which I dont see it as something I need at all. (low coverage, high cost and they try to mixed up the accounting concepts of insurance being expenses, investment being assets together. imo assets and expenses can never be together)

There are some plans where I find them interesting but would also like to know what most of you actually buy.

I saw some multiplier plans where it covers a significant amount for wholelife but the premium payment is term period of 20 years. After age of 65, death benefit reduce by half or so.

Do you guys also get something similar first, before getting more additional term plan to up the coverage?

Also, do u guys 1 shot buy high coverage of insurance to lock the premium when young ? Or just pay the extra premium incur at older age when we really need that certain amount of coverage?
 

soneat

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2000
Messages
1,888
Reaction score
318
Guys, I am at my mid-20s and I would like to ask how does this insurance thing usually go about?

As usual, when I try to find out more about insurance, all the agents and even friends who work as insurance agent offers me nothing but ILP which I dont see it as something I need at all. (low coverage, high cost and they try to mixed up the accounting concepts of insurance being expenses, investment being assets together. imo assets and expenses can never be together)

There are some plans where I find them interesting but would also like to know what most of you actually buy.

I saw some multiplier plans where it covers a significant amount for wholelife but the premium payment is term period of 20 years. After age of 65, death benefit reduce by half or so.

Do you guys also get something similar first, before getting more additional term plan to up the coverage?

Also, do u guys 1 shot buy high coverage of insurance to lock the premium when young ? Or just pay the extra premium incur at older age when we really need that certain amount of coverage?
In the past, 1990s and early 2000s, investment options were limited and hence "all-in-one" policies like whole life and ILP were prevalent. In whole life and ILP, the premium you pay consists of investment+insurance charges+others. The difference between whole life and ILP is for ILP, you pick the funds and for whole life, it participates in the insurer's common participating fund.

Now from later part of 2000s till now, there are much more investment options and you can easily build up your own fund to sustain the insurances charges from Term Policies.

Generally, for young kids say <10 yo, its more common to buy whole life policies with multipliers because of two reasons. First, the premium is relatively affordable and second, there's potentially a very long time to accumulate/earn the participating bonuses.

For young working adults in early 20s, if you are in at least a fairly promising job and you foresee yourself to have say a family and couple of properties several years down the road, then its better to buy those S$1m term policies to 99/100 yo. Let's take an example of a 25 yo female, term to 99 cover for death and tpd only. The premium is about S$1600 per annum. Appx S$20k of reits can generate enough dividend for this already. So in the event of death, the payout is S$1m and there's still the S$20K+- worth of reits. But for a grand total of S$20K, what can ILP or whole life policy give/cover you? Maybe a sum assured of $80K assuming you buy TM Legacy 5 year premium payment.

So to answer your question:
1. You must understand how much cover you want. High coverage like S$1m term plan is very common nowadays.
2. You must understand how long you want to be covered. Generally for those with family and children, its up to 100/99yo (Legacy Planning reason) and for those who are single/unmarried, its up to where their liabilities (e.g mortgage loan) are about to end. There are of course family with children who decides to have term plan ending at 65 yo - but really, this is up to individual's planning.
 
Last edited:

01asdf

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2015
Messages
9,251
Reaction score
1
You need to decide what the purpose of the insurance is in the 1st place.

I would say term insurance to, oh 65 or so, is basically to make sure your family has a replacement income source for your active income if you are gone.

Any term beyond your working life, like term from 55 or 65 to 99, is betting that you will die young (as in before that term expires) - it's not like you need it to replace your salary since you have retired, so it's just for a bequest to your beneficiaries.

Whole life is to leave a legacy for your descendants. Honestly, i find that a rather outdated concept since you're, again, incentivizing them to consider your death a "good" thing.

I for one am not interested in hoarding money away just so my heirs can have a windfall when i die.
 
Last edited:

civicguy

Banned
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
36,909
Reaction score
8,272
I agree. That is why I only buy term (and medical insurance). No life. No ILP.

Sorry children. You are on your own. Dad was left nothing from his parents too :)
 

dcloud

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2015
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
I agree. That is why I only buy term (and medical insurance). No life. No ILP.

Sorry children. You are on your own. Dad was left nothing from his parents too :)
hahaha! i always believe in buy term invest the rest too
 

dexboi

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
5,569
Reaction score
1,892
If i am a father, i would definitely leave something for my kids.

The future is no longer the same as 1960s/80s. Even if my parents left me nothing, i will NOT do the same to my kids.

I don't really care how they will spend the money, if they use it well, good on them. If not, fukit, i'm already gone, "you are truly on your own now".
 

foozgarden

Master Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
2,980
Reaction score
1
If i am a father, i would definitely leave something for my kids.

The future is no longer the same as 1960s/80s. Even if my parents left me nothing, i will NOT do the same to my kids.

I don't really care how they will spend the money, if they use it well, good on them. If not, fukit, i'm already gone, "you are truly on your own now".


well said..
 

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2009
Messages
86,040
Reaction score
20
So anyone getting this Aviva term plan before end of March?
 

13luetooth

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
3
So anyone getting this Aviva term plan before end of March?

I want to get sia. But I think its too near to the end of march liao. And somemore I am 25yo now, planning to start a family only at 30s so probably I might wait for the next time aviva give discount hahaha
 

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2009
Messages
86,040
Reaction score
20
I want to get sia. But I think its too near to the end of march liao. And somemore I am 25yo now, planning to start a family only at 30s so probably I might wait for the next time aviva give discount hahaha

The older u get, the more expensive it get lehh..

I saw the Diyinsurance website, got 30% rebate + 20% discount perpetually. Not sure issit csb or what
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top