Canon Powershot S100

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
14,804
Reaction score
221
Sorry, I think this has been discussed before, but I am not able to find the discussions.

I have been hearing very positive reviews for S95 and now S100.
Measuring the pros and cons of each, do you think its worth to spend the $100+ to $200 more for a S100 over the S95?
Being a casual user, I am open for a pre-used piece. Would anyone be able to share the estimate price I should look out for both models?

Thank you. :)
 

Iceman88

Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Sorry, I think this has been discussed before, but I am not able to find the discussions.

I have been hearing very positive reviews for S95 and now S100.
Measuring the pros and cons of each, do you think its worth to spend the $100+ to $200 more for a S100 over the S95?
Being a casual user, I am open for a pre-used piece. Would anyone be able to share the estimate price I should look out for both models?

Thank you. :)

Have been looking at a new cam since not satisfied with image quality (IQ) of the usual consumer compact cams used so far. Initially turned off by the S100's high RRP of $699, but realised other cheaper cams had lousy reviews or certain deal breakers.

While not everyone raves over S100 & S95, overwhelmingly far more praise than criticism found. Some claim S95's IQ bit better than S100, others point out the many improvements of S100. You have to weigh which factors mean "deal or no deal" for you. Came across this neat website that presents camera comparison data in easy to analyse form: Snapsort

Finally decided on S100 over S95 for its better wide angle, CMOS sensor, slightly better macro, less shutter lag & faster continuous shooting. Also S100 had bit better grip compared to S95's smoothness (scared kena drop!). Didn't really care for GPS or HD movies, but nice to have in S100. S100 battery quite weak but yay I can use my extra batteries (NB-5L) from old IXUS! Dunno about prices elsewhere but happened to see S95 at Giant for $575, Courts & other big retailers selling S100 at $699.

Was actually prepared to buy S100 at Courts (with $100 voucher, case, 8GB card) then read online about Canon's Privilege Purchase Program (PPP) where you can buy selected Canon products direct from their Customer Care Centre (1st floor Keppel Bay Tower, near Vivocity) if you "trade in" old Canon product (ie cam for cam, printer for printer etc). Cam can be faulty or still working, can be as old as film cam. New cam about 20.5% discount off RRP, so S100 is $555 instead of $699. I went down today & directly asked about PPP, handed over my old IXUS cam, everything settled in mins. They will SMS you 7-10 days time to collect & pay on the spot. Can't wait to try this little beauty out then!

I think 2nd hand cam is sometimes rather risky. For example you can read online about well documented "lens error" for earlier batches of S100 and even S95. I'll rather spend a bit more to buy new cam from a reliable source.
 

Iceman88

Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Original i guess...

However what's the difference? Life-span?

Thanks

I think original & 3rd party got some difference in capacity, leaving aside question mark whether use 3rd party safe or not. Original NB-5L rated at 1120mAh. Saw 3rd party one at Challenger for I think $23.90, slightly lower capacity at 1000+mAh. My previous IXUS used the same battery, back then I bought one 3rd party rated at 2100mAh, still usable years later now. My Canon original battery states "Made in China" but my 3rd party one says "cells Made in Japan" (dunno how true).
 

Yo2020

Master Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2007
Messages
3,714
Reaction score
0
I think 2nd hand cam is sometimes rather risky. For example you can read online about well documented "lens error" for earlier batches of S100 and even S95.
the len error issue is covered under warranty.
 

Yo2020

Master Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2007
Messages
3,714
Reaction score
0
I have been hearing very positive reviews for S95 and now S100.
Measuring the pros and cons of each, do you think its worth to spend the $100+ to $200 more for a S100 over the S95?
u must look at the features of S100 over S95 1 by 1, n decide yourself if u need it.
for me it is the better ability of shooting low light (usable of higher iso, mainly due to digic 5) n much better continuous shooting speed.
 

Yo2020

Master Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2007
Messages
3,714
Reaction score
0
canon has just announced S110. i guess when this new model arrived here, the price for S100 will drop.
 

chongbk

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2001
Messages
692
Reaction score
0
Anyone knows where to buy the black case they giving free with S100 purchase? Think there is a Canon label on the case.

Thanks in advance.
 

Iceman88

Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
the len error issue is covered under warranty.

When I was talking about 2nd hand cam, had in mind either those already without warranty or very little warranty left. Those that are practically "brand new" 2nd hand, with plenty of warranty left, certainly hold little to no risk for their new owner (unless kena suay things like stolen stuff!). Anyway, whether one buys something new or 2nd hand, the onus is on the buyer to do due diligence homework & checks before handing over the cash.
 

Iceman88

Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Today Canon sent me SMS to pick up my new S100, just 2 days after I ordered thru PPP! Comes with a black, quite solid looking case with a shiny 'PowerShot' tag in front; cam goes in horizontally. Other freebies are a Kingston Class 10 8GB SD card and 2 $50 Taka vouchers. I think originally was supposed to be one $50 voucher + extra battery, but saw a notice that due to excessive demand they have no stock of NB-5L batteries now, hence replace with another Taka voucher. They will get you to register warranty online there, for extra 3 months warranty (total 15 mths). Can also extend warranty for 2 more years at $70.

There at the lobby I tried it out on Auto, zooming in on a floral arrangement on a table. The image looked real sharp even at max zoom, and confirmed its quality when I viewed on my PC at home. Really pleased at this great buy for very nice price that includes freebies of current promotion. Going by the specs the new S110 doesn't improve image quality & its new features don't appeal to me, so I don't regret going for the proven S100.
 

Iceman88

Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
congrat. which old IXUS cam did u "trade-in"? any idea if PPP for printer (AIO) also hv 20.5% discount?

It was a IXUS 850IS, probably about 6 yrs old, still working and in fairly good condition except for some surface scratches. It had pretty good reviews at that time but after using was rather disappointed with the image quality. On some other websites I read some people even go to Sungei Road to buy really trashed old Canon cam for $5 just to "qualify" for PPP!

No idea about printer but maybe should call up the Customer Care Centre to enquire before lugging down a heavy printer. Also not all products in Canon's range are included for PPP, if u have particular model in mind better ask them first. I believe the S100 was only recently added into PPP.
 

a1v1n_

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
26,122
Reaction score
54
other than from the PPP, where else should I get S100 when talking about price, freebies, etc? Courts? thinking of getting it.
 

Iceman88

Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
other than from the PPP, where else should I get S100 when talking about price, freebies, etc? Courts? thinking of getting it.

Obviously you are not going to get the best price if you buy from the big retailers like Courts, they will just stick to RRP, unless there is official market-wide discount initiated by Canon. I dunno about the smaller photo shops, maybe the experts & enthusiasts here can advise. Personally I thought PPP is a great deal, 20.5% off plus freebies. Not to mention negligible buyer's risk since getting direct from company, unlike some horror stories you read about certain photo shops or 2nd hand sellers. I believe most sellers in the industry should be ok & honest, but always got risk of black sheep out for short-term profit.
 

TitanSmall

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
28,528
Reaction score
1,937

a1v1n_

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
26,122
Reaction score
54
Obviously you are not going to get the best price if you buy from the big retailers like Courts, they will just stick to RRP, unless there is official market-wide discount initiated by Canon. I dunno about the smaller photo shops, maybe the experts & enthusiasts here can advise. Personally I thought PPP is a great deal, 20.5% off plus freebies. Not to mention negligible buyer's risk since getting direct from company, unlike some horror stories you read about certain photo shops or 2nd hand sellers. I believe most sellers in the industry should be ok & honest, but always got risk of black sheep out for short-term profit.

PPP is good but do not have a old canon cam lying around. the only other canon cam I have is the G12.

Chance upon this...

Brand New Canon PowerShot S100 Digital Compact Camera (Promo) | eBay

With $100 Taka Voucher...

worth it???

looks as per offers by some of the stores I have asked. wonder if they can make changes to the package and adjust the price accordingly.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top