Cheapest 2TB NVMe SSD

lhseong

Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
25
The WD black if seller is from Amazon US, RMA is send back to WD US?

Sent from Google PIXEL 4 XL using GAGT

according to WD website, the Black model code are the same for US and ASIA.
And many said can claim RMA locally to WD SG.
 

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2002
Messages
71,723
Reaction score
10,039
It does hit to 75C then throttle to 72c with MAX 250MB/s.
So now I add a cheap heat sink to it, full load not more than 60C. Idle about 40C.
It is due to the MX500 located at the m.2 slot below GPU with poor airflow.

Wow. Thanks for ur warning
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
MX500 or WD blue SATA.
BTW, no matter which SSD you put in, add a heat sink to prevent over heat.
My MX500 overheated and I lost all data store in the SSD.:mad:

I've a few MX500 drives, but never got one to overheat even in a laptop. Also not sure how a heatsink will help for a 2.5inch drive though? The MX500 uses a aluminum cover, but I am not sure if the controller is in contact with it. So if you stick a heatsink on it and the controller is not in contact with the aluminum casing, its useless.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
It does hit to 75C then throttle to 72c with MAX 250MB/s.
So now I add a cheap heat sink to it, full load not more than 60C. Idle about 40C.
It is due to the MX500 located at the m.2 slot below GPU with poor airflow.

Getting confused. So you are using an M.2 version or SATA3 version? When I said SATA3, I am referring to the 2.5 inch format. I understand it is still running at SATA3 speed even in the M.2 slot. If this is the case, then the heatsink will help.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Actually I do not see a point for RAID0 in SSD setup. It just doesn't help other than :s12: in benchmark. :s22:
But once one of the HDD is gone, the whole setup is gone.

RAID 0 is useful if you one needs the high sequential transfer rate. So if you do a lot of photo editing and video editing where you transfer loads of big files, that will help.

But I agree with you that in most cases, its only for show. Especially when one is using for gaming, there is absolutely 0 benefits running a SATA 3 SSD vs an NVME SSD, not to mention running the NVME SSD in RAID 0 is even more meaningless.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
RAIDED into 1 big drive. Speed isn't something that you will really see. On heavy locally loading games u might see a few seconds loading improvements but nothing that noticeable.

I doubt there are any benefits comparing 1 drive vs 2 drives in RAID in games. The difference between a SATA 3 and NVME drive is about a second or 2 in almost every game.
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,914
Reaction score
30,516
An SSD is essentially already multiple planes per die in parallel * multiple dies / channels in parallel. It is essentially a RAID of its own. (Or RAIN if you prefer to call it that)

You can easily have 16 (channels * planes) in parallel on a mainstream drive.

Having two SSD in RAID essentially improves the speed by doubling the channels.

However you will find that random 4k to 16k is not going to have any difference, and the throughput increases with transfer size. Because at lower sizes, you are limited by latency. As the transfer size gets bigger, then the benefits of parallelism starts kicking in.

That's why you are only going to see speed improvements under situations where you can reach 3GB/s from a single drive in the first place.
 

lhseong

Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
25
Getting confused. So you are using an M.2 version or SATA3 version? When I said SATA3, I am referring to the 2.5 inch format. I understand it is still running at SATA3 speed even in the M.2 slot. If this is the case, then the heatsink will help.

Yes, m.2 SATA3. m.2 is the socket, SATA3 is the protocol.
The issue is on m.2 MX500.
 

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,326
Reaction score
3,863
I bought pny cs3030 2tb for 281. I saw your post about the pcie 4.0 SSD but I didn't buy as I am using 3900X and B450 so kinda pointless to buy pcie 4 SSD :(

Sent from Google PIXEL 4 XL using GAGT

It's 281 USD or SGD?
 
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
129,916
Reaction score
7,222
Goodies arrived!

xPXaqnJ.jpg

best package sia:eek:
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,034
Reaction score
8,288
RAIDED into 1 big drive. Speed isn't something that you will really see. On heavy locally loading games u might see a few seconds loading improvements but nothing that noticeable.

that is exactly why i asked the question LOL!
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Wah sian, I still trying to find 2tb ssd below SG$300, like doesn't exist.. :(

There were a few 2TB SSD deals on Amazon since the clearance sale started over the weekend. Some below 300 bucks (generally 2.5 inch form factor) and some just slightly over 300 bucks. The Corsair MP510 is also a good deal.
 

lhseong

Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
25
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB selling $365 at Amazon sg. Not sure when 2tb will be lower than 300...
 

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,326
Reaction score
3,863
There were a few 2TB SSD deals on Amazon since the clearance sale started over the weekend. Some below 300 bucks (generally 2.5 inch form factor) and some just slightly over 300 bucks. The Corsair MP510 is also a good deal.

I have a lot of SSD in my list, I really don't see anything below 300 for 2.5 inch form... Anything specific?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top