China high speed rail

Panerex

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
6,609
Reaction score
122
Have you checked the airfare? I am told airfares are low now that bad times have hit the Chinese so they travel less. Airlines are losing money as well. Pay a little more and save 90min or so.
Was initially thinking of flight from Xi an to BJ.

however, the airport transfers and time required to reach Xi An airport earlier, push me off
 

Shalom_555

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2023
Messages
253
Reaction score
173
Have been checking HSR tickets from Chengdu to Huanglongjiuzhai station ( both ways) for past few days. V tough, went in 5 min after release and all snapped up for6.45am /8.36am etc.left standing room.
Wonder anyone tried making 1 month advance booking via trip and then tried booking 15days advance in 12306.cn. If I get my 15 days advance via trip then I cancel trip booking immediately. Cancellation is free cos it’s more than 8days before departure. Your thoughts are appreciated
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
Have been checking HSR tickets from Chengdu to Huanglongjiuzhai station ( both ways) for past few days. V tough, went in 5 min after release and all snapped up for6.45am /8.36am etc.left standing room.
Wonder anyone tried making 1 month advance booking via trip and then tried booking 15days advance in 12306.cn. If I get my 15 days advance via trip then I cancel trip booking immediately. Cancellation is free cos it’s more than 8days before departure. Your thoughts are appreciated
Trip.com uses a software program to get the tickets so I think it is certain to beat you to the game when 12306 opens the slots for booking.
Trip.com continues to try until all its reservations are fulfilled, so I think it beats you to the game too when seats are released later from cancellations or extra supply.
You can test this for yourself.
 

Shalom_555

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2023
Messages
253
Reaction score
173
Trip.com uses a software program to get the tickets so I think it is certain to beat you to the game when 12306 opens the slots for booking.
Trip.com continues to try until all its reservations are fulfilled, so I think it beats you to the game too when seats are released later from cancellations or extra supply.
You can test this for yourself.
Thanks, more than happy for Trip to beat the game as long as I get my tickets. Just submitted my reservations and paid extra $3 for priority ticketing. Am late in the game cos it is 60 days advance booking. My ticket is for 11 Oct, syst said 28.4% success rate😩
 

Panerex

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
6,609
Reaction score
122
Trip.com uses a software program to get the tickets so I think it is certain to beat you to the game when 12306 opens the slots for booking.
Trip.com continues to try until all its reservations are fulfilled, so I think it beats you to the game too when seats are released later from cancellations or extra supply.
You can test this for yourself.
Is Trip prompt to refund the monies not eventually used to purchase tickets under the reservation arrangement?
 

Panerex

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
6,609
Reaction score
122
I do not understand your query.
I was attempting to let Trip reserve train tickets.

before I can complete the process, it appears I have to pay upfront first.

I would imagine if the reservation is not successful, Trip will refund me the money. Hence wondering how long does the refund process usually take.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
I was attempting to let Trip reserve train tickets.

before I can complete the process, it appears I have to pay upfront first.

I would imagine if the reservation is not successful, Trip will refund me the money. Hence wondering how long does the refund process usually take.
This is stated somewhere in their webpage. I have always been successful, so it never came to refunds.
 

Panerex

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
6,609
Reaction score
122
This is stated somewhere in their webpage. I have always been successful, so it never came to refunds.

Upon reservation, does Trip charge your credit card immediately, Or just hold the credit until the reservation is successful?
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
Immediate payment takes place. Your credit card statement will show this.
 

sbl2560

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
515
Reaction score
289
Travelling on C638 from Kunming to Lijiang. A slower train that takes 4 hrs. Not used to the slower speed, against the faster G trains.
 

klavier

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
2,457
Reaction score
343
Upon reservation, does Trip charge your credit card immediately, Or just hold the credit until the reservation is successful?
Have used Trip on my train rides and made changes to bookings. They refund promptly (around 2 days later in CC).
Also canceled and rebook hotels on Trip multiple times when prices when down.. No problem with refunds (all to CC).

Anyway if you still have questions about child tickets do ask again. What is needed to answer your question more accurately is the age/height of your kids..
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
Travelling on C638 from Kunming to Lijiang. A slower train that takes 4 hrs. Not used to the slower speed, against the faster G trains.
This is as fast as it gets for this segment. The tracks for this segment is not designed for higher speeds.
 

jywy2005

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2013
Messages
5,793
Reaction score
2,707
Travelling on C638 from Kunming to Lijiang. A slower train that takes 4 hrs. Not used to the slower speed, against the faster G trains.
I will be taking this train from Lijiang to Kunming tomorrow. I believe it is due to to the high altitude and mountainous terrain.
 

jywy2005

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2013
Messages
5,793
Reaction score
2,707
Nowadays, I noticed that many 1st class and business class tickets get sold out very quickly, within days after release.

A lot of passengers 改签 at the last minute, which is free if you change your booking at least 48 hours before the scheduled departure. Otherwise just pay a fee to cancel your reservation and do another new booking. Normally, there will be cancellations on the day itself, so you can get your desired departure time.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top