China high speed rail

elvintay07

Suspended
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Messages
12,367
Reaction score
4,442
It is a matter of whether you want to trust yourself or platform. I prefer to trust myself. If all trips unable to book means you go at wrong time (likely super peak). If not sure got tickets one.

I went to some jiuzhaigou show and was con by a travel agent appointed by trip. I booked VIP tickets but was asked to go collect from tour agent instead of the organiser and got the last row of the VIP seats. Really crap. When I was in Shanghai, I heck care and went to the tour counter to collect the tickets. In the end, got nice seats and also save 50% per ticket
 

koolkool

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
661
Reaction score
80
Hi. Anyone faced with 12306 verification failed even after two tries? I don't know what is wrong with my photos. The second try I used scanner my passport. I can see every detail. Then person holding passport I asked my wife to use iPhone to take photo. I can see every detail of my passport. So what else I can improve? Higher resolution? Is it better I go for trip.com? Or I will still have same verification problem even if I use trip.com?
 

jywy2005

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2013
Messages
5,797
Reaction score
2,708
Hi. Anyone faced with 12306 verification failed even after two tries? I don't know what is wrong with my photos. The second try I used scanner my passport. I can see every detail. Then person holding passport I asked my wife to use iPhone to take photo. I can see every detail of my passport. So what else I can improve? Higher resolution? Is it better I go for trip.com? Or I will still have same verification problem even if I use trip.com?
I can’t remember if I uploaded my passport photo for verification. I merely keyed in the passport details. No issue with the purchase of train tickets. You try and see if it works.

Trip.com incurs a booking fee, if you dun mind paying.
 

natas

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
532
Hi. Anyone faced with 12306 verification failed even after two tries? I don't know what is wrong with my photos. The second try I used scanner my passport. I can see every detail. Then person holding passport I asked my wife to use iPhone to take photo. I can see every detail of my passport. So what else I can improve? Higher resolution? Is it better I go for trip.com? Or I will still have same verification problem even if I use trip.com?

Happened to me, dun bother wasting time. Just pay trip.com a few dollars to buy for me. Been yrs, maybe later I will try to register with 12306.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
Yes, don't bother further with 12306 if it failed you a few times. I tried for months and went ahead with trip.com in the meantime. What are a few dollars against the frustration?
 

klavier

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
2,457
Reaction score
343
Hi. Anyone faced with 12306 verification failed even after two tries? I don't know what is wrong with my photos. The second try I used scanner my passport. I can see every detail. Then person holding passport I asked my wife to use iPhone to take photo. I can see every detail of my passport. So what else I can improve? Higher resolution? Is it better I go for trip.com? Or I will still have same verification problem even if I use trip.com?

Same problem with me..
Worse is I had to verify a group of 6..
First one ok.. next one problem.. switch to another person still problem..
After waiting and trying the next day (some people say it is because their network is unstable), I still had the same problem. Gave up and use trip.com.. I think it is hit and miss so you have to be patient if you want to continue trying with 12306.. For me, since only like 3-4 train rides per year, I did not bother... One thing I would have wished for though is that 12306 apparently allows the user to choose seats..

Incidently, slightly off-topic but still on the subject of trains, does anyone know how to get the full list of overnight soft/deluxe sleeper train routes in China?
So far in my research it seems that for the soft sleeper, all routes seems to start or end in either Beijing or Shanghai besides those trips that take more than one full day.
Specifically, is there any overnight sleeper train routes which start at Guangzhou or Guilin and do not end at either Beijing and Shanghai?
 

Beefsteak

Master Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
3,547
Reaction score
152
btw trip.com cannot select seats right?
If I book 2 seats, will I be seated together or separately?
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
btw trip.com cannot select seats right?
If I book 2 seats, will I be seated together or separately?
I can only say that the system tries to seat you together. Of course, this gets difficult as the train gets close to capacity.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
Incidently, slightly off-topic but still on the subject of trains, does anyone know how to get the full list of overnight soft/deluxe sleeper train routes in China?
So far in my research it seems that for the soft sleeper, all routes seems to start or end in either Beijing or Shanghai besides those trips that take more than one full day.
Specifically, is there any overnight sleeper train routes which start at Guangzhou or Guilin and do not end at either Beijing and Shanghai?
I know that some countries like in Europe publish their train timetables at seasonal intervals in a book with enough detail to know which are sleepers.
Apparently for China, there is no one-stop service to check so one will have to check ticketing portals to pick out which are the sleepers. From Guangzhou, there should be sleepers to Xi'an, Hohhot and Chengdu. From Guilin there should be sleepers to Changsha etc. Don't exclude the conventional trains in your search, as they usually retain sleeper options. From my experience, every large city is connected by rail, so you will just need to filter for the sleepers and check if the connection is direct.
 

klavier

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
2,457
Reaction score
343
btw trip.com cannot select seats right?
If I book 2 seats, will I be seated together or separately?

You can refer to my earlier post on page 19 which I have copied below. Generally speaking they do but if you have a larger traveling party, do note you might be disappointed.. For reference, out of a total of 8 different bookings, I only had this problem once..

On my numerous train bookings using Trip.com, I was only dissatified once, i.e. when they allocated 2 individual seats away from the others. It is still in the same carriage though. Perhaps it was because it was a popular timing and my travel group is larger than most..



I know that some countries like in Europe publish their train timetables at seasonal intervals in a book with enough detail to know which are sleepers.
Apparently for China, there is no one-stop service to check so one will have to check ticketing portals to pick out which are the sleepers. From Guangzhou, there should be sleepers to Xi'an, Hohhot and Chengdu. From Guilin there should be sleepers to Changsha etc. Don't exclude the conventional trains in your search, as they usually retain sleeper options. From my experience, every large city is connected by rail, so you will just need to filter for the sleepers and check if the connection is direct.

Yes that is essentially the problem. Cannot believe that I have tried to search for the last 3 nights and cannot seem to get the full list. Perhaps the mistake I am making is that I have not looked at the conventional trains.

Seems you know why I am frustrated. It is precisely because in my past Europe experience, it is so easy to find the full train schedules from each rail operator. Failing which, websites like seat61 will point me in the correct direction.. Unfortunately this is not the case for China. Maybe there are just too many cities and trains..

P.S. Another issue. Does anyonw know if there is a way to book the entire first class soft sleeper cabin (4 beds each cabin) if I only have 2 pax? Some people say it is possible but there is no option to book the entire cabin on Trip.com. Does 12306 have such an option?
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
P.S. Another issue. Does anyonw know if there is a way to book the entire first class soft sleeper cabin (4 beds each cabin) if I only have 2 pax? Some people say it is possible but there is no option to book the entire cabin on Trip.com. Does 12306 have such an option?
I think it is not possible because of the real-name purchase required of online booking. It was possible via the counter, I recall. Using the online booking, you will have to buy 4 tickets using real identities and then 2 will be no-shows.
 

klavier

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
2,457
Reaction score
343
I think it is not possible because of the real-name purchase required of online booking. It was possible via the counter, I recall. Using the online booking, you will have to buy 4 tickets using real identities and then 2 will be no-shows.

Thank you for clearing my doubts. Your last line was what I thought others might be using but I do not see it as a good way since I have to use real identities...
 

honestguy

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
243
Reaction score
79
For those having issue with verification on 12306 platform, just go to one of the train ticket counter, tell them to update their system with your passport details, including your traveling partners. After they have done it, you can book train tickets on the platform. Only need to update once.

If you renewed your passport, ask them to update again.

This method tested and working.
 

harocarlos

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2000
Messages
10,049
Reaction score
12
Hi everyone, first time into China, we're planning to take the HSR from Hangzhou to Shanghai during our December trip. However, we are a group of 8 pax including 2 children planning to book business-class tix.

Booking directly using 12306 platform/app is too tedious as it requires verification of all 8 pax. We've tried pre-reservation via trip.com and success rate is indicated as only ~25%.

Is this our best option of securing the tix? Can I try multiple booking for different train/timings on our date of travel via trip.com for higher chance and cancelling the all the other bookings for a refund once we've secured the tix we hoped for?
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,638
Reaction score
3,487
Hi everyone, first time into China, we're planning to take the HSR from Hangzhou to Shanghai during our December trip. However, we are a group of 8 pax including 2 children planning to book business-class tix.

Booking directly using 12306 platform/app is too tedious as it requires verification of all 8 pax. We've tried pre-reservation via trip.com and success rate is indicated as only ~25%.

Is this our best option of securing the tix? Can I try multiple booking for different train/timings on our date of travel via trip.com for higher chance and cancelling the all the other bookings for a refund once we've secured the tix we hoped for?
There are more than 200 high speed trains from Hangzhou to Shanghai. No need to prebook. Just purchase on the spot (at the train station).
 

harocarlos

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2000
Messages
10,049
Reaction score
12
While I understand there's plenty of trains, we are travelling as a group with at least 6 large baggage and particularly only interested in taking the limited business-class seats during a peak season.

What's the chances of tix availability booking last minute at the train station?
 

jywy2005

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2013
Messages
5,797
Reaction score
2,708
Hi everyone, first time into China, we're planning to take the HSR from Hangzhou to Shanghai during our December trip. However, we are a group of 8 pax including 2 children planning to book business-class tix.

Booking directly using 12306 platform/app is too tedious as it requires verification of all 8 pax. We've tried pre-reservation via trip.com and success rate is indicated as only ~25%.

Is this our best option of securing the tix? Can I try multiple booking for different train/timings on our date of travel via trip.com for higher chance and cancelling the all the other bookings for a refund once we've secured the tix we hoped for?
If you only want business class tickets for all 8 of you, not much chance due to limited availability. Think only 20 per train, unless you book when tickets are released.
 

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2003
Messages
82,858
Reaction score
10,174
Hi everyone, first time into China, we're planning to take the HSR from Hangzhou to Shanghai during our December trip. However, we are a group of 8 pax including 2 children planning to book business-class tix.

Booking directly using 12306 platform/app is too tedious as it requires verification of all 8 pax. We've tried pre-reservation via trip.com and success rate is indicated as only ~25%.

Is this our best option of securing the tix? Can I try multiple booking for different train/timings on our date of travel via trip.com for higher chance and cancelling the all the other bookings for a refund once we've secured the tix we hoped for?
if u don't mind not sitting together.

4 person to use trip to book seats of 2 on trip. i think higher chance to get
 

froztheart

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
9,635
Reaction score
4,212
Hi everyone, first time into China, we're planning to take the HSR from Hangzhou to Shanghai during our December trip. However, we are a group of 8 pax including 2 children planning to book business-class tix.

Booking directly using 12306 platform/app is too tedious as it requires verification of all 8 pax. We've tried pre-reservation via trip.com and success rate is indicated as only ~25%.

Is this our best option of securing the tix? Can I try multiple booking for different train/timings on our date of travel via trip.com for higher chance and cancelling the all the other bookings for a refund once we've secured the tix we hoped for?
DId you follow the instructions closely when verifying? I just added additional personnel and it got verified the next moment on 12306 without issue.
I rather go direct than going with 3rd party and run risk of facing issues.
 

harocarlos

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2000
Messages
10,049
Reaction score
12
DId you follow the instructions closely when verifying? I just added additional personnel and it got verified the next moment on 12306 without issue.
I rather go direct than going with 3rd party and run risk of facing issues.
using mobile app or via browser?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top