DBS Woman's MasterCard

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
U received the sms as well?

There most likely was no SMS because the transaction did not go thru channels requiring SMS. Most overseas transactions, even online ones do not require any SMS, Amazon and purchasing airline tickets with US airlines are such examples.
 

swordspirit

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 29, 2007
Messages
6,059
Reaction score
173
But it does not mean that it was not used online before that.

Target had biggest CC number leak in history AFAIK. Even I received notification that my credit card 'might be affected', but last time I used credit card with them was 8 years ago and was closed/expired long time ago.

In other words, if your credit card information was kept in some database and that database was leaked, then there are plenty of other options trying to get access to the card. See below


This is VERY serious accusation I doubt is the case. If true DBS might lose baking license.

I do not believe there was/is any case in first world countries when data got leaked from banks. It was always retailers.



Aha, this clarifies a lot. So most likely your previous card number was leaked from some retailer. It was tried to be used immediately, DBS detected and replaced the card.

However, seems crooks were smart as well. Knowing IBAN assignment, they most likely could assume and calculate that only last 4 or 6 digits were changed for every account while billing address would not change. Thy also correctly calculated new card's expiration date based on previous card's expiration date. At the end the only thing they need to do was massive brute force attack. And it apparently worked - they guessed replacement card's number as well.

I do not know what is the best way to handle this situation except to cancel AMEX card altogether and re-apply after 6-9 month.

I dont think so. it is quite unlikely that they can link the address on a new card issue. Possible leaks where a card has never been used should be:

1) Banks
2) post office

However, there could also be a possibility that they are generating card numbers out (with or without cvv) and try the luck without having to provide billing address
 

ska13a

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2015
Messages
1,616
Reaction score
0
in the 1st place billing address is useless
don't even know why u all focus on that?

which merchant have u bought with that need billing address that tally with bank?
if automated with non manual intervention to verify with bank, the answer is NONE

some reply really is got dragon got phoenix haha

brute force attack basically mean they manage to use a valid cc number with expiry date and/or cvv depend what combination is required for the order to go through
 

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
Online purchases with the card

I asked DBS to clarify if Amazon and online hotel/airline tickets are earning 10x points. Got standard scripted answer:

DBS determines an online transaction based on system indicators. These indicators are decided by the merchant and their banker, and passed to DBS when the transaction is posted to the card hence we are unable to ascertain whether those transactions are considered online until the merchant claim the amount and it is posted on your credit card account.

So my question to the audience - have you had case when you paid online with the card and you DID NOT get 10x points? If so, could you please list the merchant/site?

Note: I am talking about using the card for payments directly at the site, not via paypal. Paypal is whole other matter.

P.S. Got the link on sheet with card references. Thanks.
 
Last edited:

lcpteck

Master Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
3,942
Reaction score
1
I asked DBS to clarify if Amazon and online hotel/airline tickets are earning 10x points. Got standard scripted answer:



So my question to the audience - have you had case when you paid online with the card and you DID NOT get 10x points? If so, could you please list the merchant/site?

Note: I am talking about using the card for payments directly at the site, not via paypal. Paypal is whole other matter.

P.S. Got the link on sheet with card references. Thanks.

As long as it's processed online and not under the exclusion list, you should get the extra 9x points.

There are some cases encountered where the 'online' transaction was processed offline. I had a few transactions processed 'offline' on a few OTAs before (1 from Expedia, 1 from a greek OTA). So this is a gamble, there's no way to verify.

Amazon should earn 10x I believe.
 
Last edited:

highsulphur

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
77,954
Reaction score
40,448
sigh.. only managed to use it twice after getting the card before the change in T&C.

Oh well. Better than nothing
 

w4rdsg

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
502
Reaction score
0
I did not itemise to the transaction, but I received all the points I was expecting. Game on!
 

nokiatech

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2002
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
0
<ADV> Enjoy up to 8 miles/S$1 on Expedia bookings with DBS Altitude Card! Valid till 30 Sep'16. go.dbs.com/sg-expedia T&Cs apply. To unsub sms UNSUB to 76060
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top