DBS Woman's MasterCard

cowfart

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2007
Messages
2,146
Reaction score
1
Ah, the age old question of miles vs Cashback.
I suggest you read through these links before you decide:

http://milelion.com/2017/04/30/st-writer-prefers-cashback-to-miles-fluffy-kittens-everywhere-die/

http://milelion.com/2015/06/26/the-ugly-truth-of-cashback-cards-banks-dont-want-you-to-know/

Note: I have no affiliation to the above website and I do not earn anything through the links.

This is quite misleading. Neither of these links on ML actually answers his question.

  • The first link argues that miles can be extremely valuable (something we already know, also something which he seems to understand), the question that is really being asked is: are the miles are worth buying at that given price?
  • The second link is completely outdated (Jun 2015) since a few cashback cards have now rolled out with require no minimum spend.

Despite being an intense mileage collector myself, I can still think of a small number of situations (albeit opportunities which do seem to be rapidly drying up) where cashback cards beat miles cards, the most obvious recently deceased being the SCB Singpost combo.

You can't apply a blanket rule of which is better - you must DIY and compare the best possible mileage card (i.e. highest mpd) and the best possible cashback card (i.e. highest % rebate) for that purchase category of whatever you are buying, and calculate your returns for each of them. You may derive the opportunity cost of each mile for that particular purchase from there.
It's not difficult to buy miles through indirect methods if you're alert, sometimes as 1.2-1.4 cents apiece (e.g. obscure magazine subscriptions); therefore it follows from the foregoing that any miles earned incurring the opportunity cost of over 1.5 cents cashback is not worth earning.

Mileage valuation concerns aside, small spenders often have the problem of orphaned points, or points which take years to accumulate before reaching a meaningful amount (not to mention expiry rules). In the interim, the holder is bearing a significant risk of devaluation. To paraphrase a known personality, the Central Bank of KrisFlyer does have an inflationary rate which gives many 3rd world countries a good run for their money...
 
Last edited:

Spk307

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2015
Messages
670
Reaction score
0
This is quite misleading. Neither of these links on ML actually answers his question.

  • The first link argues that miles can be extremely valuable (something we already know, also something which he seems to understand), the question that is really being asked is: are the miles are worth buying at that given price?
  • The second link is completely outdated (Jun 2015) since a few cashback cards have now rolled out with require no minimum spend.

Despite being an intense mileage collector myself, I can still think of a small number of situations (albeit opportunities which do seem to be rapidly drying up) where cashback cards beat miles cards, the most obvious recently deceased being the SCB Singpost combo.

You can't apply a blanket rule of which is better - you must DIY and compare the best possible mileage card (i.e. highest mpd) and the best possible cashback card (i.e. highest % rebate) for that purchase category of whatever you are buying, and calculate your returns for each of them. You may derive the opportunity cost of each mile for that particular purchase from there.
It's not difficult to buy miles through indirect methods if you're alert, sometimes as 1.2-1.4 cents apiece (e.g. obscure magazine subscriptions); therefore it follows from the foregoing that any miles earned incurring the opportunity cost of over 1.5 cents cashback is not worth earning.

Mileage valuation concerns aside, small spenders often have the problem of orphaned points, or points which take years to accumulate before reaching a meaningful amount (not to mention expiry rules). In the interim, the holder is bearing a significant risk of devaluation. To paraphrase a known personality, the Central Bank of KrisFlyer does have an inflationary rate which gives many 3rd world countries a good run for their money...

Of course, there will always be exceptions and some people even if their spend would favor them through miles would opt for Cashback out of sheer laziness.

The idea was to give the OP all the data he needs to think about before taking a decision. No one is forcing anyone or saying one rule fits all. After all YMMV.
 

paurusu

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2009
Messages
738
Reaction score
54
Of course, there will always be exceptions and some people even if their spend would favor them through miles would opt for Cashback out of sheer laziness.

The idea was to give the OP all the data he needs to think about before taking a decision. No one is forcing anyone or saying one rule fits all. After all YMMV.

Man - i always thought that all HWZ forumers/miles pro guys are mostly single / couples without kids.
Assuming typical spending (not everyone have chance to travel for biz :s13: ) , cashback does provide flexibility for families with kids. If you want to go holidays with kids - you got to count earning miles for kids too. That takes extra double effort comparatively.

The almost instant availability / usage of cashback (comparatively to miles earning) helps a lot for families spending too.

After all - miles are about experience (yes - i believe biz / first class is great experience! but u still can just pay to get economy from point A to B), cashback is about (almost) direct cash.

My 2 cents.
 

Zaalaa

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
6,019
Reaction score
116
YOLO.

If don't enjoy in this life time. Then when?

That little pitiful cash rebate can eat 1 more cai png?

If you worried about everyday meals. Then should not have credit card.
 

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2010
Messages
7,340
Reaction score
427
Don't worry I am with u..
I prefer cash back over miles... But that didn't stopped me from maximizing all the cash rebates card followed with 2 return business tickets to Europe
 

Zaalaa

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
6,019
Reaction score
116
Don't worry I am with u..
I prefer cash back over miles... But that didn't stopped me from maximizing all the cash rebates card followed with 2 return business tickets to Europe

Sometimes cash rebate can be used to purchase miles at a steal.

Those frequent flyer program that is out of your usual credit card partners. It could be extremely useful.

Example: lifetimes or alaska miles or air canada miles or can even be spg miles last time now go to virgin elevate. Etc.... flying blue & some airline also had miles matching sometime back.
 

pcmdan

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2010
Messages
7,340
Reaction score
427
Sometimes cash rebate can be used to purchase miles at a steal.

Those frequent flyer program that is out of your usual credit card partners. It could be extremely useful.

Example: lifetimes or alaska miles or air canada miles or can even be spg miles last time now go to virgin elevate. Etc.... flying blue & some airline also had miles matching sometime back.

Yeah read about all this here. Though it is too complicated for people like me.

I just earn miles for krisflyer and redeem for flights with SQ.

Do the same every year.

Decided not to pay any annual fees for credit card for miles going forward. Since I am able to earn them at near $0 cost.

Once I finished all my cash rebate card. It is indifferent for me since I have to spend it anyway
 

Zaalaa

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
6,019
Reaction score
116
Yeah read about all this here. Though it is too complicated for people like me.

I just earn miles for krisflyer and redeem for flights with SQ.

Do the same every year.

Decided not to pay any annual fees for credit card for miles going forward. Since I am able to earn them at near $0 cost.

Once I finished all my cash rebate card. It is indifferent for me since I have to spend it anyway

SQ abit annoying. Always waitlist..

still good though
 

AMD_FREAK

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
9,017
Reaction score
2
Read about Milelion's suggestion to get itemized statement for DBS Woman World card.. And it seem like my points are way off.

Anyone getting such problem as well?

I run a business and some of my suppliers send me a link to make payment via Paypal. I thought Paypal will get 4mpd?
 

Tyrhung

Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2014
Messages
461
Reaction score
1
Read about Milelion's suggestion to get itemized statement for DBS Woman World card.. And it seem like my points are way off.

Anyone getting such problem as well?

I run a business and some of my suppliers send me a link to make payment via Paypal. I thought Paypal will get 4mpd?

Payment through Online shopping cart vs payment links. Unsure if there are considered similar processing. On top of that DBS revamped the tnc for payment portal. Probably @trazora can help.
 

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
23,331
Reaction score
1,206
Read about Milelion's suggestion to get itemized statement for DBS Woman World card.. And it seem like my points are way off.

Anyone getting such problem as well?

I run a business and some of my suppliers send me a link to make payment via Paypal. I thought Paypal will get 4mpd?

Just call and ask DBS
 

Lucky_Farmer

Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2017
Messages
218
Reaction score
8
Hi guys - are online payments in foreign currency eligible for 4mpd? I can't work it out from their T&C. For example, paying grab rides in a foreign coutries, paying Amazon purchases, etc.
 

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2015
Messages
23,331
Reaction score
1,206
Hi guys - are online payments in foreign currency eligible for 4mpd? I can't work it out from their T&C. For example, paying grab rides in a foreign coutries, paying Amazon purchases, etc.

Yes eligible. Get 3x points first then 7x points next month 16th. Total 10x points = 4 mpd.
 

Jumpman23

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,560
Reaction score
15
Haven't been receiving SMS alerts for transactions on Ubereats since I got the card last week. Called up customer service and the reply from them is that when I saved my card details in Ubereats transactions are already "pre-authorised", hence it won't trigger any alerts. I have already lowered the trigger limit for my card to $1.

Is this true for you guys as well? I smell BS.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top