Dr Martens Working Shoes

FireEmblem

Banned
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
65,727
Reaction score
28,216
I also thinking of getting but don't know which to look out for.

They have 2 very similar looking pairs, bit 1 has super heavy sole and looks to have very good stitching, while the other is much much lighter with a very normal looking stitching for the soles.

I like the looks of the heavy-soled one but not sure comfy to wear whole day or not.. anyone got comments between the light VS heavy one?

Sent from another corner in SG using GAGT

Mine was the light kind and lasted me 6 years wearing 5 days a week
 

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
38,501
Reaction score
12
Go check out Dr Martens Official store on Lazada, they listed quite a few formal use shoes there.
 

-nyox-

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2011
Messages
5,229
Reaction score
1,806
My most lasting shoes are a pair of Dr. Martens. The most comfortable ones were a pair of Rockport shoes.


Now I put on the even more comfortable pair of Skechers when don't have to be too formal...


My Rockport lasted me only 1 yr, sole disintegrated and leather tore at the toe joints area. Don't trust their quality anymore. Now I'm on Dr Martens for almost a yr, still going strong with minimal wear to the soles.

Most comfortable working shoes I've worn is this brand called Steptronic,alot of cushion in their soles, like walking on clouds.
 

Hakaima

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
5,244
Reaction score
1
Mine is something like this but not using the yellow stiching so it looks good for office. I use shoe polish darken the sole portion


dr-martens-1461-3-hole-eyelet-crazy-horse-gaucho-brown-z2-11838201-mens-shoes-p1567-5265_zoom.jpg

I am wearing this exact pair but the leather part connecting to the sole cui-ed withing 6mth. The soles are solid but the inner airwick sole was destroyed by the 1yr mark. Now i need to find a nee pair. Dunno to go for another dr martens pair anot
 

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2012
Messages
37,224
Reaction score
10,779
GPGT:

RIchjVx.jpg


FhuID7I.jpg


XcgDfEd.jpg


I tell you this pair of shoes is coming to 20 years old if not already 20 years old, y'all believe?

Don't count the peeling on the insoles, you don't see that when I wear the shoes ... I think apart from the pitting of the metal being the telltale sign, there's no other way to tell this pair of Doc Martens is that old, no? :o

I don't remember exactly but mine even if not 20 years also confirm got more than 15 years and coming closer to 20 :eek: I wear them maybe only around 5 times in a year and surprisingly the soles are still good. The only problem is the leather sort of un-seasoned itself and the topline (at least, I think that's the correct term for it ... the edge in contact with your ankle) causes blister on my ankle like a brand new shoe.

Compared to a pair of Kings safety shoes I indented from work (and I had to top up cash from my own pocket to upgrade to Kings), I left it alone for over a year in my shoe cabinet because my existing pair of safety shoes were still good ... when I finally wore the Kings for the very 1st time the soles crumbled a bit with every step I took and there was a trail of sole fragments behind me ... I felt like I was The Incredible Melting Man or something :eek:
 

feitz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2000
Messages
11,308
Reaction score
615
Dr marten been my working shoes for at least 5 years now. Love thenlm

Sent from you know where using GAGT
 
G

gawdzilla

Guest
My most lasting shoes are a pair of Dr. Martens. The most comfortable ones were a pair of Rockport shoes.


Now I put on the even more comfortable pair of Skechers when don't have to be too formal...

try ultraboost
GPGT:

RIchjVx.jpg


FhuID7I.jpg


XcgDfEd.jpg


I tell you this pair of shoes is coming to 20 years old if not already 20 years old, y'all believe?

Don't count the peeling on the insoles, you don't see that when I wear the shoes ... I think apart from the pitting of the metal being the telltale sign, there's no other way to tell this pair of Doc Martens is that old, no? :o
put in museum

Sent from the deep sea using GAGT
 

mrpoker

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
10,886
Reaction score
2
Can consider Camper, mine cost me 300+, wear for 6 years plus, only need to re-stitch the sole once so far. Leather is light and good.
 

FireEmblem

Banned
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
65,727
Reaction score
28,216
Wow, nice! I was worried the light ones would not last as long cos the stitchings looked less 'sturdy'.

Sent from another corner in SG using GAGT

Yeah the stiching came off around 5 1/2 years so opened up mouth and I used shoe glue lasted another 6 months before 60% of the bottom detached. But by then the bottom sole is already worn very thin and I can feel the ground with sole of my feet so decide to retire them. Currently wearing a pair from rockport since brought it while in japan as it looks nice. In the future I will still consider doc marc
 

FireEmblem

Banned
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
65,727
Reaction score
28,216
I am wearing this exact pair but the leather part connecting to the sole cui-ed withing 6mth. The soles are solid but the inner airwick sole was destroyed by the 1yr mark. Now i need to find a nee pair. Dunno to go for another dr martens pair anot

The leather u got upkeep? I regular applies layer of shoe polish with mink oil. The inner sole have to buy 3rd party insole insert inside and change when this extra insole cui.
 

superjelly4311

Master Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2007
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
1
dr martens 1461 mono. zalora got 3 pairs, $100 each. gonna last me for a long time as compared to buying sub $100 shoes. or even those $500+, the soles are durable with goodyear welt.
 

FireEmblem

Banned
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
65,727
Reaction score
28,216
GPGT:

RIchjVx.jpg


FhuID7I.jpg


XcgDfEd.jpg


I tell you this pair of shoes is coming to 20 years old if not already 20 years old, y'all believe?

Don't count the peeling on the insoles, you don't see that when I wear the shoes ... I think apart from the pitting of the metal being the telltale sign, there's no other way to tell this pair of Doc Martens is that old, no? :o

Hmm legendary made in england pair? Mine first pair was made in england and they were so comfy more so then the made in thailand pair I got 6 years ago which needed like 6 months to break in before they are more comfy. Read that those made in china are very bad in quality.
 

alex22

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2001
Messages
26,570
Reaction score
7,679
Is the quality good?

So far..all my working shoes have been Hush Puppies:o

Each pair about 160-190 sgd incl desert boots w/o laces type.

Wore out 1 pair after 8yrs (inside cannot make it anymore)
One more pair here after more than 10 years wearing still.
Both above were made in England models before their production lines move to thailand, china vietnam.

Most recent pair of Saul (china) sole split at the forefoot's side after 9mths.
Complain them and got 1-1 exchange.
Exchanged pair also split after 6mths.

Sent to shoe repair, ask the guy bostik it and black thread stitch through both the sole even though one side split only.

Wearing it and no splits again yet.

This sole splitting phenomenon can read about it online easily found.
 
Last edited:

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2012
Messages
37,224
Reaction score
10,779
Hmm legendary made in england pair? Mine first pair was made in england and they were so comfy more so then the made in thailand pair I got 6 years ago which needed like 6 months to break in before they are more comfy. Read that those made in china are very bad in quality.
Probably can't see it very clearly but in the 3rd pic it does say Made In England on the sole.

Like I was saying, in these 20 years or almost 20 years, the leather actually un-seasoned itself until it is causing blister on my ankle like when it was new.

Anyone knows if there is any way to restore the metal? Or if there is any way to take off a layer of the metal till the pitting is gone?

They still have some Made In England models in their catalogue.
 

alex22

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2001
Messages
26,570
Reaction score
7,679
Probably can't see it very clearly but in the 3rd pic it does say Made In England on the sole.

Like I was saying, in these 20 years or almost 20 years, the leather actually un-seasoned itself until it is causing blister on my ankle like when it was new.

Anyone knows if there is any way to restore the metal? Or if there is any way to take off a layer of the metal till the pitting is gone?

They still have some Made In England models in their catalogue.

Like these pic of mine?
2e3c214.jpg

263yqe8.jpg
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top