Flying to Hangzhou!

Firestorm1978

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2013
Messages
1,786
Reaction score
1,032
Sigh

The thing about holiday in winter is that just when you feel all natural bundled up in coat sweater scarf etc

Going from place to place feeling exactly like a local believing you were born there

Thinking all those thick clothes and cold weather was born along with you…

It’s time to go :frown:
This is the demoralising part about overseas travel.........when you are about to return, 'reality' sinks in LOL

I think it's not so much about our island state that we live in.....it's safe, convenient, modern, e.t.c. e.t.c.

However, when one is travelling overseas, it is with the hope that you can temporarily leave your worries, sadness (all or most of the negatives) behind and let yourself loose and immerse yourself in the beautiful scenic landscape (if you are into scenic attractions). Even the part when you board the plane........it's just feel like you can be temporarily remove yourself from all those matters that are bugging you.

Of course, the change in weather, culture, food, landscape e.t.c. also makes a difference.
 

carey

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2002
Messages
40,911
Reaction score
5,225
Yes, as mentioned, their meat is really next level. The farmers take pride in the quality of their livestock. I remember staying at a host's large house (she was from China and migrated there) with a garden. Bought so much meat from the supermarket and had a lovely BBQ session during the night. That's where I saw the southern lights......the host's house was like really in the middle of nowhere with little to no light pollution. It was truly incredible.

The south island experience was truly memorable. Didn't go to the glow worm cave but seeing what you have shared, I am thankful I didn't manage to go! LOL

DId you get to see the southern lights during your trip?

Makes me wanna visit NZ again......but still have so many countries to visit on my wishlist LOL
Yes, one of the reasons why I wanted to retire in NZ to become a sheep farmer hahah

During my horse ride there, I saw that the owner has a small copter that he uses to survey his flock and I was like, wow, that's damn cool hahahah

Anyway, the glow worm cave was a nice experience, just got to be prepared with the proper bug sprays and protection, else the damn itch lasts for days or even weeks

I didn't get to see any southern lights - maybe my timing was always off but then again, we weren't there for the lights specifically

Yes, I plan to head back again (provided I can persuade my partner)
 

Full_Cream_Milk

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2018
Messages
43,337
Reaction score
27,283
During my horse ride there, I saw that the owner has a small copter that he uses to survey his flock and I was like, wow, that's damn cool hahahah
I think nowadays can use drone (and safer no need ride in copter)

But NZ as retirement…

If have that kind of financial stash, I think Japan might be better

In terms of cultural familiarity
 

carey

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2002
Messages
40,911
Reaction score
5,225
Did you try their latest ANA biz seats? To me, it is one of the widest and comfortable seats (other than the older SQ wide biz seats on the A350).


On my recent trip, the flights were using 787-9 with the 1-2-1 configuration

We booked 4K and 6K cos we wanted window seats but sadly didn't see Mt Fuji this time

Seat wise was wide but the slanted position made sleeping a bit weird hahah

Anyway, SQ was also code sharing that same flight; but prices were 1k more per pax :spin:
 

carey

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2002
Messages
40,911
Reaction score
5,225
I think nowadays can use drone (and safer no need ride in copter)

But NZ as retirement…

If have that kind of financial stash, I think Japan might be better

In terms of cultural familiarity
Flying a copter is a thrill to me mah hahah

I think it depends - NZ speaks English but in Japan, we need a certain fluency in Japanese to get by

Nevertheless, I agree with you though - Japan ticks more boxes in terms of lifestyle
 

carey

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2002
Messages
40,911
Reaction score
5,225
That was what happened during my winter trip to Beijing. It was pure torture. Skin cracked, lips cracked....shivering after a hot bath at night in my hotel room.........winter in Tokyo/England e.t.c. is not as horrible as the one in Beijing. I think it was minus 12 or 13.. I know there are colder countries but I think anything below minus five is pure torture.
I went on a business trip to Beijing once during the winter period

We were in meetings most of the time but on 1 night, we went out for lamb skewers and beer

Damn shiok eating the skewers by the roadside and drinking beer amid the cold hahah
 

carey

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2002
Messages
40,911
Reaction score
5,225
It’s a good price to pay.

You forgot to mention their exceptional safety record.
Actually SQ had 2 crashes - one in Taipei and the other in Indonesia

But I agree with you, SQ flights are one of the smoothest so far; not sure in the future once there's cross migration of pilots from Air India :confused:
 

carey

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2002
Messages
40,911
Reaction score
5,225
It's definitely a good price if I can afford it each time I go overseas LOL. As mentioned previously, I can only take biz class due to my back. Sian....but regardless of those who complain about SQ......I will still choose our national carrier whenever I can (afford).
We are also locked in by the kris miles :cry:

These days when I book flights, need to look for Star Alliance partners if I can't get SQ flights with the timings I want
 

Full_Cream_Milk

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2018
Messages
43,337
Reaction score
27,283
We were in meetings most of the time but on 1 night, we went out for lamb skewers and beer

Damn shiok eating the skewers by the roadside and drinking beer amid the cold hahah
I saw those outdoor 烤肉 seating in Beijing too

But I ate indoors even though it was early winter cool enough.

The most absurd thing is, I saw a 烤肉 restaurant in Singapore in Jem…with outdoor seating!!!

And there were people happily outside happily grilling!!!

SIAO!
 

Firestorm1978

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2013
Messages
1,786
Reaction score
1,032
I saw those outdoor 烤肉 seating in Beijing too

But I ate indoors even though it was early winter cool enough.

The most absurd thing is, I saw a 烤肉 restaurant in Singapore in Jem…with outdoor seating!!!

And there were people happily outside happily grilling!!!

SIAO!
They love to sweat it out?! LOL

Actually, when we were younger (for the lao uncles here), we also went chalets, Marina South bbq or East Coast bbq pits right? But I think back in the 80s and 90s.....not as hot as now la
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top