General S-REITs Discussion Thread

Denikeve

Master Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2007
Messages
3,899
Reaction score
0
wtf my ascott reit holdings today redder than tomato.

anyone knows what unitholders like us should do when the company do this kind of stunt? open warchest buy more to average down??
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,106
Reaction score
4,076
wtf my ascott reit holdings today redder than tomato.

anyone knows what unitholders like us should do when the company do this kind of stunt? open warchest buy more to average down??


I am also holding ART. My rule for ART is never to buy when it is above $1, so my average cost of ART is below $1. I actually like ART for the European exposure and I'm definitely buying more at $1.

I am also holding AHT, OUEHT, CDLHT and FEHT but I've already mentioned that my favourite is FHT. It is just waiting for an opportunity to surge to 0.90 region and it seems to have less downside than the others. Better accumulate more while you can :D
 

Denikeve

Master Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2007
Messages
3,899
Reaction score
0
I am also holding ART. My rule for ART is never to buy when it is above $1, so my average cost of ART is below $1. I actually like ART for the European exposure and I'm definitely buying more at $1.

I am also holding AHT, OUEHT, CDLHT and FEHT but I've already mentioned that my favourite is FHT. It is just waiting for an opportunity to surge to 0.90 region and it seems to have less downside than the others. Better accumulate more while you can :D

however I don't feel ART will drop to $1 in the near future. when did u enter ART in the past? i don't remember seeing it below $1 in the past two years when I entered at 1.2 :'(
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,106
Reaction score
4,076
however I don't feel ART will drop to $1 in the near future. when did u enter ART in the past? i don't remember seeing it below $1 in the past two years when I entered at 1.2 :'(

I bought all my ART in 2011. Since then, I have not bought anymore since it hasn't dropped below $1 since then. I just hold and collect dividends.

Now in 2016, looks like it could approach $1, so time to buy again.
 

NewInvestor

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2014
Messages
7,341
Reaction score
3
I am also holding ART. My rule for ART is never to buy when it is above $1, so my average cost of ART is below $1. I actually like ART for the European exposure and I'm definitely buying more at $1.

I am also holding AHT, OUEHT, CDLHT and FEHT but I've already mentioned that my favourite is FHT. It is just waiting for an opportunity to surge to 0.90 region and it seems to have less downside than the others. Better accumulate more while you can :D

Hi limster. Thanks for info. Could u tell us briefly why FHT is better than the rest?
 

lbs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2001
Messages
18,174
Reaction score
8
Too late to do anything already
Before buying any reit best to check its gearing level
And check its history see they often do rights or placement or not

Gearing wise i prefer those at 30% or less, low chance of placement or rights since they can use debt

Those which gearing at 38% or higher, usually new acquistions have to raise equity for sure

not many around with 30 or less gearing to be honest....
 

lbs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2001
Messages
18,174
Reaction score
8
I am also holding ART. My rule for ART is never to buy when it is above $1, so my average cost of ART is below $1. I actually like ART for the European exposure and I'm definitely buying more at $1.

I am also holding AHT, OUEHT, CDLHT and FEHT but I've already mentioned that my favourite is FHT. It is just waiting for an opportunity to surge to 0.90 region and it seems to have less downside than the others. Better accumulate more while you can :D

why 1 dollar? :s22: is that derived from valuation or?
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,106
Reaction score
4,076
Hi limster. Thanks for info. Could u tell us briefly why FHT is better than the rest?

Ijust highlight stock names that I like, up to each investor to do his due diligence. My analysis could be wrong and I have been wrong before.

Trust that every hotel REIT investor has been following business news on Starwood. China companies may be barred from acquiring strategic companies like defence and technology, but hotels are non-strategic.

Will Starwood set off a global Hotel M&A frenzy, or at least a revaluation of hotel assets Will remaining hotel chains start to panic buy other hotel assets? :D
 

lbs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2001
Messages
18,174
Reaction score
8
so what is the preferred means of raising capital, in the perspective of a shareholder, so that equity is not eroded?

1) Gearing up with bonds?
2) Loans with financial institutions?
3) Additional rights publicly
4) Additional rights privately?

Sorry, reits noob here. :D
 

Bedokian

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
2,196
Reaction score
7
so what is the preferred means of raising capital, in the perspective of a shareholder, so that equity is not eroded?

1) Gearing up with bonds?
2) Loans with financial institutions?
3) Additional rights publicly
4) Additional rights privately?

Sorry, reits noob here. :D

Depending on what is the preferred way, either way it is going to affect their balance sheet.

Share placements and rights will increase the equity side, whereas loans and bonds will be affecting the liability side, if you know accounting principles.

The fact that REITs have to distribute 90% of their income leaves little leeway for acquisition and expansion, unless they sell off their existing property portfolio (which is uncommon).
 

Genosis

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2015
Messages
10,104
Reaction score
6
so what is the preferred means of raising capital, in the perspective of a shareholder, so that equity is not eroded?

1) Gearing up with bonds?
2) Loans with financial institutions?
3) Additional rights publicly
4) Additional rights privately?

Sorry, reits noob here. :D

DRIP! But this one takes time......

E.g. MINT's DRIP so much that they stop in the recent quarter :s22:

I am thinking of going for DRIP for my MLT next quarter since I have 25,000 units.....
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,106
Reaction score
4,076
Rights issue means the major shareholder/sponsor has to come up with cold hard cash to subscribe to its share of the rights.

I think the saying is that it makes sure that the sponsor has "skin in the game" by making it come up with its own cash when a REIT needs to raise funds.

For placement shares, you can take "other people's money."
 

Jazzbie

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
2,166
Reaction score
14
The BBs will also make money by shorting the counter and covering with the placement shares at a discount. So theoritically, the best thing to do is to short and cover with them, or average down at a price lower than the private placement. Think of Cache and Ascendas as recent examples.

Sent from Samsung SM-G900F using GAGT
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top