(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
I guess i belong more to the tinkering group... just love fiddling with settings, modding stuff, etc... keeps me occupied the whole weekend...haha
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Nice! Any comments on La Colombe and Intelligentsia beans?

I only had intelligensia blackcat direct from their roaster in chicago.
catch getting on amazon maybe stale..

La Colombe cornerstone not good, I tried Monaco and Nizza not impress. I like their workshop fishtown and enjoyed it almost just as much as Blackcat. the cornerstone taste more traditional italian style.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
170
I only had intelligensia blackcat direct from their roaster in chicago.
catch getting on amazon maybe stale..

La Colombe cornerstone not good, I tried Monaco and Nizza not impress. I like their workshop fishtown and enjoyed it almost just as much as Blackcat. the cornerstone taste more traditional italian style.

Thanks. You like to drink your coffee americano style or black?
 

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
11,100
Reaction score
1
Not all water filters can soften water. :o

It is stated in the spec of the machine and the instruction to change the filter. Something like.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/HD89...per-automatic-espresso-machine/specifications

You can also install between your water line.

2818132818_9fdbaf2186.jpg
 

elephanne

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2004
Messages
1,029
Reaction score
273
All the mighty experts!

I am currently holding delonghi ec330 using lavazza rossa. I wished to have an upgrade. Would it be better if i would purchase a gaggia naviglio/brera or i should purchase something better like bezzera strega?

The problem with strega is i would need multiple stuffs such as a grinder, tamper, thermometer or many more which i have no idea as i'm not in that stage yet.

I am not quite sure about the gaggia naviglio/brera would be able to upgrade to a portafilter also for better coffee result?

If i buy a machine and grinder, it would set me back at abt 4-5k i believe but a naviglio/brera would prolly just set me back at abt 1k as i'll be in milan in sept, which i would be able to buy a good machine back.

May i know if there is any model to consider for when i am in milan?

Thank you big big
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,341
Reaction score
15,799
Thought Gaggia already exit Singapore.
That compare to Strega is super far apart, like e-bike versus Maserati. :o

I won't waste baggage space for such a big heavy machine, nor think it can survive the luggage handlers. :(
 

elephanne

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2004
Messages
1,029
Reaction score
273
I am able to buy gaggia when I go to milan. I would save a couple of hundreds but I saw someone trying to sell brera in carousell for less than 500 and I wonder if it is not really a good unit.

If I were to buy strega or other big machines. Most likely I may buy from fine coffee company in singapore. Unless the savings is significant.

I tot gaggia brera/naviglio is not a bad machine as according to review but the difference is abt 3 to 4k. If it is worthy to get a strega and other setups
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,341
Reaction score
15,799
Think you can consider the bz10 or magica, cheap and good. You can sell them few years later so you don't really lose all your money.
Avoid aio automatic. :o
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
I am able to buy gaggia when I go to milan. I would save a couple of hundreds but I saw someone trying to sell brera in carousell for less than 500 and I wonder if it is not really a good unit.

If I were to buy strega or other big machines. Most likely I may buy from fine coffee company in singapore. Unless the savings is significant.

I tot gaggia brera/naviglio is not a bad machine as according to review but the difference is abt 3 to 4k. If it is worthy to get a strega and other setups

Gaggia Naviglio is a cheap entry level semi auto system.
Brera is a fully automatic system.

how significant is the savings would you consider buying from Italy? it maybe $200-500 cheaper before factoring VAT refund of 13%, then U pay SG GST. Repairs and warranty you have to take that into consideration

Machine wouldn't fit luggage and you will have to pay extra cause machine weight 27kg, with packaging its at least 30kg. You can get it tag fragile. With good packaging it will survive. luggage handlers vs freight and UPS/Fedex handlers not much difference imho.

Italian prices for reference , a BZ09 is like 30% cheaper even after factoring GST
http://shop.lagondola.it/categories.php?cid=39&nav=
http://www.espressocoffeeshop.com
https://www.coffeeitalia.it/macchine-espresso.html

You could get a NUOVA SIMONELLI OSCAR II set
https://www.coffeeitalia.it/macchine-espresso/nuova-simonelli-oscar-ii-rossa-e-nuova-simonelli-grinta-chrome.html
 
Last edited:

compuser

Banned
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
4,494
Reaction score
1,646
My expensive Amazon and overseas web purchased Optoma projector, robot vacuum, drones, hp, etc, were all rejected for repairs by the Singapore distributor. Either rejected or charged me an exorbitant inspection charge to later tell me that the parts they stock are not compatible. Send back to overseas repair is too costly and no guarantee.

I sent my drone back to Taiwan for repair anyway and it cracked during the transport. I put in a damn blardy hard case and wrapped around with thick foam and it still cracked. Don't underestimate the parcel handlers :s22:

I learned the hard way that it's penny wise pound foolish in the long term for such expensive electronic gadgets. If it's cheap or it's hard to break like an Alclad pan, still okay. Coffee machines will definitely need servicing in Singapore and it will be costly to send back and forth overseas. Unless it's cheap by half price, else I think can don't bother.


My 2 cents
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
Hook coffee just opened new office near my place
The staff all chiobus n eye candy
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top