(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
So about a few months ago I noticed something weird about my machine while rinsing with a blind filter. Sometimes it'll go up to full 9bars and then stopped working suddenly. It just went silent. But most of the time it works just fine so I didn't pay much attention to it. Slowly the sudden "stop" gets more and more frequent until I realised my Ulka pump was breaking down. I searched around online for a new one and ordered it immediately.]
Just under $50sgd shipped from bellabarista. I find the packaging a little too overkill. They could've used a smaller box.

Opened up my machine and began dismantling my old pump. Not a lot of space to work with. Patience and finesse are needed. Also, my machine's sharp edges are not helping.
]

After much fiddling, I managed to fix in the new pump and all's working well again! Not bad for a $50 self fix that can easily run up to the hundreds if you send it in for repair.

Good job with the DIY! Are u using filtered water with your machine?
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
Good job with the DIY! Are u using filtered water with your machine?
I'm using this one since the beginning
https://www.pur.com/water-filter-pitchers-and-dispensers/pur-classic-18-cup-dispenser
Come to think of it, I haven't descale my machine ever. I should probably check for scale. I read somewhere you can just unscrew the big nut on top of the e61 grouphead and check.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT
 

erwinseow

Member
Joined
May 9, 2000
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
So about a few months ago I noticed something weird about my machine while rinsing with a blind filter. Sometimes it'll go up to full 9bars and then stopped working suddenly. It just went silent. But most of the time it works just fine so I didn't pay much attention to it. Slowly the sudden "stop" gets more and more frequent until I realised my Ulka pump was breaking down. I searched around online for a new one and ordered it immediately.
hpTODqM.jpg

Just under $50sgd shipped from bellabarista. I find the packaging a little too overkill. They could've used a smaller box.

Opened up my machine and began dismantling my old pump. Not a lot of space to work with. Patience and finesse are needed. Also, my machine's sharp edges are not helping.
1Z24Ovt.jpg


After much fiddling, I managed to fix in the new pump and all's working well again! Not bad for a $50 self fix that can easily run up to the hundreds if you send it in for repair.
iqj5iOO.jpg

Must you adjust the OVP after fitting the new pump?
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
I think their extraction was about 1:2.5, i spoke to them briefly but cannot remember the details. Peeking behind the counter, they were using the Slayer style preinfusion, which increase their extraction time beyond 30 sec if i am not wrong.

Yeah you lose the mouthfeel, but you gain back in flavors which i would gladly exchange for. The acidity was very crisp, flavors were very "3D" haha..

TBH i have tried some of the more popular places for lightly roasted beans like Nylon and Jewel but their espresso comes across to tart for my liking.. But CCC seems to do it very well, i am not sure if its their beans / machine / skills though. Just drop by and try it if you have the time over the weekends, their barista is very friendly and willing to share.

I bought back a pack of their public access beans which i had at their cafe, pulled a few shots using my bb005 and mazzer mini (jolly burrs) on my rocket, managed to get the flavours but the 3d popping effect is not there. its like the flavours are there but not well seperated. Strangely the BB005 (cornical) fared much better den the mazzer, in terms of flavours separation, which i guess plays into the whole conical vs flat debate.
Conical burrs will produce grinds that are more even and round. The yield will be better.

They have a lower rpm. Comparing BB005's 900 against Mazzer's 1400/1600.
Between 500 rpm, certain there's a notable difference to the taste in addition to the speed.

For commercial, the EK43 will be good for selling bags of coffee, but I think there are better ones, better-priced grinders in the market.
I will personally go for at least 70mm conical with lesser than 500rpm.
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
I'm using this one since the beginning
https://www.pur.com/water-filter-pitchers-and-dispensers/pur-classic-18-cup-dispenser
Come to think of it, I haven't descale my machine ever. I should probably check for scale. I read somewhere you can just unscrew the big nut on top of the e61 grouphead and check.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT
You can check the top nut, on top of the brewgroup. that's a good indicator.

If yours is a heat exchanger, a simple descaling will be easy.
If it's a double boiler, it's a pain in the neck.

I dismantle some parts of my machine to descale or sometimes turn the machine upside down for the process.
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
Read from don't know coffeegeek or HB, that Gaggia is already a goner. Taken over by Saeco then taken over by Phillip. The innovation like stuck in time.

Who still use dual-use single boilers nowadays. :o
Yes kind of, single boilers were the machines to purchase 20 years ago.

Unless one drink only espresso, it's better off with a heat exchanger anytime.
Gaggia is focus on office B2B and automated machines, not in the interest of small barista machines.
 

beebee_ice

Member
Joined
May 18, 2010
Messages
346
Reaction score
3
Oh yes I forgot to introduce myself.

I didn't know that this thread is so active! I only go on HB and my Facebook group.

Currently using a La Pavoni Stradavari paired with a Lelit PL53.

Anyways, anybody tried Cowpresso? They have free delivery and I am getting bored of my beans.

https://www.cowpresso.com/store
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Oh yes I forgot to introduce myself.

I didn't know that this thread is so active! I only go on HB and my Facebook group.

Currently using a La Pavoni Stradavari paired with a Lelit PL53.

Anyways, anybody tried Cowpresso? They have free delivery and I am getting bored of my beans.

https://www.cowpresso.com/store

not yet tried. maybe i'll try hook again and get one cowpresso

how is the stradivari? do you prefer a manual lever compared to the pump machine?
 

beebee_ice

Member
Joined
May 18, 2010
Messages
346
Reaction score
3
not yet tried. maybe i'll try hook again and get one cowpresso

how is the stradivari? do you prefer a manual lever compared to the pump machine?

I tried Hook's Shake Your Bun Bun, nothing great about that blend. Only thing I got out of that was the sweetness at the back after you gulp the sip down.

The Stradivari is superb! I started from a Delonghi EC155 and upgraded to the La Pav. All I can say is that Manual Lever really teaches you the A-Z of brewing coffee. It's good for people who really want to get into brewing espresso and understand the parameters that affect the brew.

Took me a couple of months to nail getting a good shot. Even until now I don't get god shots everytime. Out of 10 times, 1 will be god shot, the rest are pretty good shots nonetheless.

I also use a Rocket Cellini for my business. Honestly, I still get better shots on my La Pav :D
 

Igene

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2002
Messages
14,170
Reaction score
1,243
not yet tried. maybe i'll try hook again and get one cowpresso

how is the stradivari? do you prefer a manual lever compared to the pump machine?

I got an Europiccola preloved ones from UK. It pulls decent shots. But I don't have those kind of very very strict requirement when comes to coffee lah. All I know is it's better than any machine I've owned. Sometimes can gets little pek cek though. Like choked the machine with fine grind. Pull until face green. 😂
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Yes kind of, single boilers were the machines to purchase 20 years ago.

Unless one drink only espresso, it's better off with a heat exchanger anytime.
Gaggia is focus on office B2B and automated machines, not in the interest of small barista machines.

They do make small barista machines. Their fully automatic machines and saeco looks very much same same. Many European ppl don't own a HX, even Italians. They can drink a nice coffee easily for home usually a moka pot. Their cheap super auto still had a place in European home. Americans most just has a cheap drop coffee machine. Even in Singapore single boiler never really take off even 20 yrs ago. Nespresso did a better job penetrating SG market
https://www.italiankitchenaids.com/coffee_machines.php?prod=gaggia.gd.1.silver
 
Last edited:

fumoffuXx

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
866
Reaction score
0
Hi bros,

Need some advice about descaling a VBM HX, made a mistake using mineral water lol bad idea. The water outlet dispenses cloudy water :/. TIA

Current gear:
Profitec 700pro
VBM Domobar HX Junior
Mazzer Mini (piece of ****)
Compak E6
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
You did the mushroom test ? I assume yours is a e61 group head? Google the mushroom e61 to determine the scaling problem first.

Hi bros,

Need some advice about descaling a VBM HX, made a mistake using mineral water lol bad idea. The water outlet dispenses cloudy water :/. TIA



Current gear:
Profitec 700pro
VBM Domobar HX Junior
Mazzer Mini (piece of ****)
Compak E6
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top