(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
I wasted a lot of coffee during my initial caliberation on the grinder.
I think you anyhow purchase a few cheap bags of 250g first. :o

Oh yeah you are absolutely right. I better find some cheap bags to try first and calibrate the grinder.
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
congrats!
I have to agree with testerjp, initial caliberation does waste alot of beans.
I was in Seattle Coffee gear and saw a customer initial calibrating in store with illy coffee. They are nice to pull out a 3kg can for him to do, he was there for like a good 30mins still far from getting it right

Yikez, I may take even longer.
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,474
Reaction score
438
Oh yeah you are absolutely right. I better find some cheap bags to try first and calibrate the grinder.

Unfortunately, each kind of beans you'll have to tweak the grind settings (even the same bean as times goes by, fine adjustments is needed day by day).

Make the whole process enjoyable, and having your own cup of espresso/latte at home is a great joy!
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Important to get fresh beans too, there are places which sells really cheap beans but are atleast 6 months from roast dates. Stale beans are literally impossible to dial in with horrible gushers especially for beginners.

When you getting ur machine?

I self roast at home, if you want i can pass you some roast for free, but i just have to get my lazy ass off the couch first..lol
 

eschaton

Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2009
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
Would anyone have recommendations for a HX/dual boiler machine under 1.5k?

I was looking at a cheaper single boiler but having to wait 20 minutes for an espresso and even more to steam milk is kinda excruciating. Currently running a Breville thernoblock model and very happy with it, but it's about time for an upgrade.

I'm currently set on a Baratza Sette 270WI, but I'm frankly lost about what machine to pair with it. Are HX manual lever machines a thing?

(Thanks my niggas.)
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,368
Reaction score
15,804
Looks good! They have down to 70g packs.
70g is too little imo.

If you are using 18g per extraction, that's only good for 3 times. The rest are most likely going to wastage.

I find that most coffee can last for at least 10 days. I ever left my opened bag of Arcaffè Meloria for 3 weeks while I went for holiday, and it was still good after I returned. If it's a light roast, then it might be a different story since those are weaker in the body. :o
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,368
Reaction score
15,804
Unfortunately, each kind of beans you'll have to tweak the grind settings (even the same bean as times goes by, fine adjustments is needed day by day).

Make the whole process enjoyable, and having your own cup of espresso/latte at home is a great joy!
Ya man, you can brew the coffee the way you like it. :o
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,474
Reaction score
438
Would anyone have recommendations for a HX/dual boiler machine under 1.5k?

I was looking at a cheaper single boiler but having to wait 20 minutes for an espresso and even more to steam milk is kinda excruciating. Currently running a Breville thernoblock model and very happy with it, but it's about time for an upgrade.

I'm currently set on a Baratza Sette 270WI, but I'm frankly lost about what machine to pair with it. Are HX manual lever machines a thing?

(Thanks my niggas.)

There's no HX Manual Lever AFAIK (Strega is a HX, but not entirely manual as it uses a pump). Even Londinium can't be considered manual as well (And it seems they have jump on the Strega-like design for their latest model!)
Can't remember what was the technicality of HX + Manual Lever limitation though.

I always thought Bezzera's proprietary grouphead machines (BZ10 to 15) were under 1.5k.. but maybe during promotion periods), think they are the best to go for fast start up HX/DB machines as they have electrically heated group-head and rather small boiler size. Standard E61 heads will take a while longer, and some flushes to get the whole brass mass stable.

The LM Linea Mini takes around 15mins to heat up too.. so its just a switch-on, go do something else and then go back make coffee routine now.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,368
Reaction score
15,804
Get a spring piston, why get a manual hand press.

I read on HB forum that you can bypass the pump on the Strega and it still works. The pump was added to push water from the tank to the grouphead as there's no inlet pressure.

I saw on don't know which overseas site that there's a Strega version which has no pump. I asked FCC before and they said they don't want to bring in as the price is only marginally lesser and it has to be plumbed in with water pressure. I'm still interested in that though, one less part available, one less part to fail. :o
 

eschaton

Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2009
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
Get a spring piston, why get a manual hand press.

I read on HB forum that you can bypass the pump on the Strega and it still works. The pump was added to push water from the tank to the grouphead as there's no inlet pressure.

I saw on don't know which overseas site that there's a Strega version which has no pump. I asked FCC before and they said they don't want to bring in as the price is only marginally lesser and it has to be plumbed in with water pressure. I'm still interested in that though, one less part available, one less part to fail.
:o

The reason why we're all here : it sounds fun!

Then again, it might be wiser to get my manual pressure profiling fix with a Flair, and save the serious cash for a sensible pump or spring lever.

Thanks for the input, I'll have a look at the cheaper Bezzeras too
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
Unfortunately, each kind of beans you'll have to tweak the grind settings (even the same bean as times goes by, fine adjustments is needed day by day).

Make the whole process enjoyable, and having your own cup of espresso/latte at home is a great joy!

Oh yea you are right. But hopefully the cheap beans will bring me somewhere close to the "optimium" and I'll calibrate as and when I buy my regular beans.
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
Important to get fresh beans too, there are places which sells really cheap beans but are atleast 6 months from roast dates. Stale beans are literally impossible to dial in with horrible gushers especially for beginners.

When you getting ur machine?

I self roast at home, if you want i can pass you some roast for free, but i just have to get my lazy ass off the couch first..lol

Subscribed!
I'm probably getting it next week. FCC is out this week. Yes I'm really keen to drink fresh fresh beans.
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
70g is too little imo.

If you are using 18g per extraction, that's only good for 3 times. The rest are most likely going to wastage.

I find that most coffee can last for at least 10 days. I ever left my opened bag of Arcaffè Meloria for 3 weeks while I went for holiday, and it was still good after I returned. If it's a light roast, then it might be a different story since those are weaker in the body. :o

Mmm going by a 10-day bracket, that's probably gonna be just 3 drinks for me as well since I can only make time for it during weekends. Maybe when I get so hooked, I'll probably have to go for the larger packs. I also prefer to try a bit of everything before I decide on 1-2 go-to beans.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Would anyone have recommendations for a HX/dual boiler machine under 1.5k?

I was looking at a cheaper single boiler but having to wait 20 minutes for an espresso and even more to steam milk is kinda excruciating. Currently running a Breville thernoblock model and very happy with it, but it's about time for an upgrade.

I'm currently set on a Baratza Sette 270WI, but I'm frankly lost about what machine to pair with it. Are HX manual lever machines a thing?

(Thanks my niggas.)

if U want to stick with budget under 1.5K hard. only Expobar offer that
http://www.finecoffeecompany.com/

if U have to budget and wants it fast, Decent can heat up ~5mins faster than HX. usualy HX is like 20-30mins, HX can steam milk same time so no wait time. from the comments it takes 40 secs wait to go for shot to steam.
https://decentespresso.com/
 

eschaton

Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2009
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
Is DE1/1+ actually available in Singapore though? My impression was you'd have to import it yourself. And it's on pre-order even overseas.

Complex machine + new design + no local support = sounds like a bit of a nightmare.
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Not in available at the moment. They just open up for preodering but it's for the de1+ pro which is more costly.. I would assume another 4- 6 months wait from the date of order for the next batch. As their production currently is still very limited.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Is DE1/1+ actually available in Singapore though? My impression was you'd have to import it yourself. And it's on pre-order even overseas.

Complex machine + new design + no local support = sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

Ppl here own one, no nightmare for him.
If quality is good, no local support needed.
Complex design but easy to use UX not as if you have to face to complexity.
Sales pretty good for DE+, pro not so much

I wouldn’t mind getting one. Iirc each cycle they make 500?
 
Last edited:

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Would anyone have recommendations for a HX/dual boiler machine under 1.5k?

I was looking at a cheaper single boiler but having to wait 20 minutes for an espresso and even more to steam milk is kinda excruciating. Currently running a Breville thernoblock model and very happy with it, but it's about time for an upgrade.

I'm currently set on a Baratza Sette 270WI, but I'm frankly lost about what machine to pair with it. Are HX manual lever machines a thing?

(Thanks my niggas.)

For most traditional machines, especially E61 group models and saturated group head machines, the wait time for full temp stability is around 40min based on my experience with the group head thermometer, so you may want to factor that into your consideration.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top