(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
I've tried the Oscar, i find that it runs very hot, I was trying with an Ethiopian blend and the flowery notes are almost all burnt out.
IIRC the modified version which can run it slightly more stable and cooler is $15xx. But still there's no gauge that tells you the status of your brew or boiler pressure.

I suggest get another model unless your budget is really tight. E61 is imho more forgiving to use.

Sadly for my budget there is no heat exchanger or dual boiler with pid.

I was maybe thinking of saving up more and hoot the lelit Elizabeth. Got electronic dosing.
 

beebee_ice

Member
Joined
May 18, 2010
Messages
346
Reaction score
3
Well I guess a heat exchanger is the best option for my need as I drink primarily milk based. However I don’t know which ones are affordable and suitable enough for my needs. I like lelit because it has lcc so it can prompt me cos I’m a noob. I was also looking at the lelit Elizabeth but it’s pretty expensive but it stops the shot automatically.

You should consider a La Pavoni lever machine. I have been using it for the past couple of years and honestly don't regret it.

I use it daily for my milk based coffee and it produces extremely good quality shots and pretty good milk, good enough to make latte art.

The learning curve of manual lever machines is a bit steep, but if you are just starting out with coffee, I feel that it forces you to learn how each variable affects extraction and taste.

You can hit me up if you wanna see some vids or wanna try out a La Pav :D
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
You should consider a La Pavoni lever machine. I have been using it for the past couple of years and honestly don't regret it.

I use it daily for my milk based coffee and it produces extremely good quality shots and pretty good milk, good enough to make latte art.

The learning curve of manual lever machines is a bit steep, but if you are just starting out with coffee, I feel that it forces you to learn how each variable affects extraction and taste.

You can hit me up if you wanna see some vids or wanna try out a La Pav :D
Wa lever machine?!? It’s like a big step up. I am trying to find something with electronic dosing or at least pid leh. I really damn noob. And hopefully I don’t need to spend too much time each morning before I go to work.
 

beebee_ice

Member
Joined
May 18, 2010
Messages
346
Reaction score
3
Wa lever machine?!? It’s like a big step up. I am trying to find something with electronic dosing or at least pid leh. I really damn noob. And hopefully I don’t need to spend too much time each morning before I go to work.

I started with a Delonghi Ec155. We all started as noobs as well, so don't worry. But if you're on a path to learn more about coffee, a lever machine is the best way to learn. Yes you're going to take a long ass time to learn, but when you do, learn it, you get a better understanding of the variables.

I don't take too much time in the morning as well. I on my machine, take a shower, and then make my coffee. The process takes less than 5 minutes from grinding to the pouring of the milk.
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
if you are considering the lelit Elizabeth PL92T, at the price range of 2299, i would consider paying abit more for the Bianca; flow profiling, plump in option, rotary pump, adjustable reservoir (god sent if you have tight kitchen space), adjustable pump pressure. Alot alot more features for a slightly higher price point. Dave Corbey a very respectable UK reviewer was very impressed with the machine, especially the internals.
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
if you are considering the lelit Elizabeth PL92T, at the price range of 2299, i would consider paying abit more for the Bianca; flow profiling, plump in option, rotary pump, adjustable reservoir (god sent if you have tight kitchen space), adjustable pump pressure. Alot alot more features for a slightly higher price point. Dave Corbey a very respectable UK reviewer was very impressed with the machine, especially the internals.

Bianca is not a bit more leh. It’s $800 more.

My original budget was around $1200.

I think maybe I’ll just stick with Dedica ec680 and make do with the pressurized basket lah.
 

linusz

Master Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2001
Messages
3,034
Reaction score
107
Bianca is not a bit more leh. It’s $800 more.

My original budget was around $1200.

I think maybe I’ll just stick with Dedica ec680 and make do with the pressurized basket lah.

ya i oso keeping to 680
but i using krups grinder - dont like scooping it out and waste a bit.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Bianca is not a bit more leh. It’s $800 more.

My original budget was around $1200.

I think maybe I’ll just stick with Dedica ec680 and make do with the pressurized basket lah.

low budget and want duo boiler hard to achieve.
this is like a $1099 budget up for elizabeth, bianca is like $1800 up.
https://cowpressocoffee.sg/products/lelit-elizabeth-pl92t-double-boiler

want small footprint, fast try decent but U must pay up. Someone love their alot.
https://decentespresso.com/dem_buy

try the Expobar Leva EB61 or Bezzera Unica for $1650-1700. its $500 more if not then stick with current, wait for it to break and spend the bigger $$. inflation what cost $1.6k maybe $2k few yrs from now.
http://www.finecoffeecompany.com/shop/expobar-leva-eb61/

I've tried the Oscar, i find that it runs very hot, I was trying with an Ethiopian blend and the flowery notes are almost all burnt out.
IIRC the modified version which can run it slightly more stable and cooler is $15xx. But still there's no gauge that tells you the status of your brew or boiler pressure.

I suggest get another model unless your budget is really tight. E61 is imho more forgiving to use.

seem like alot of issues..
https://www.home-barista.com/espres...lli-oscar-ii-too-high-temperature-t47785.html
https://www.home-barista.com/espres...nelli-oscar-ii-extraction-problem-t46799.html
 
Last edited:

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Bianca is not a bit more leh. It’s $800 more.

My original budget was around $1200.

I think maybe I’ll just stick with Dedica ec680 and make do with the pressurized basket lah.

Hard to get a fast warm up time and good machine at this price range, i would recommend upgrading the grinder first, my experience the grinder usually offer the best bang for buck upgrade.
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
Hard to get a fast warm up time and good machine at this price range, i would recommend upgrading the grinder first, my experience the grinder usually offer the best bang for buck upgrade.

My machine now is pressurized basket. My grinder is overkill for it already.
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
Maybe I’ll stick to my original choice. Get the Lelit Victoria. Only have to wait 1 min for the steam to come up to temp.
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
$1399 from cowpresso?

Yea seems like a good choice for me though single boiler. Just wait for steam lor. I saw their demonstrations videos. And I timed the steam button. Takes 1 min to go to 135 degree and slightly more to go to 140.

If I got spare cash of cos I want double boiler. But I drink once a day in the morning only. And 1 cup only. Spend $3k doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense for me.
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
U can consider getting a bottomless portafilter to go with your machine, helps alot when starting out and cleaning it is a breeze especially when you are in the rush.
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
U can consider getting a bottomless portafilter to go with your machine, helps alot when starting out and cleaning it is a breeze especially when you are in the rush.
Yes, it is easier to clean up IF you know what you're doing. But if you're just starting out, it can be a nightmare to clean up with all the channeling. Squirts that shoot out sideways everywhere? Been there done that lol

Sent from Xiaomi MI A1 using GAGT
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
U can consider getting a bottomless portafilter to go with your machine, helps alot when starting out and cleaning it is a breeze especially when you are in the rush.

Don’t think it’s available for Dedica ec680. I searched before. And the machine not designed to work with unpressurized basket. May spoil it.
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Don’t think it’s available for Dedica ec680. I searched before. And the machine not designed to work with unpressurized basket. May spoil it.

Sorry i meant when you gotten your new Lelit machine, to get a bottomless portafilter also.

The dedica has some mods for the portfilter to make it pressurized, not very sure how much difference it would make though.
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
Sorry i meant when you gotten your new Lelit machine, to get a bottomless portafilter also.

The dedica has some mods for the portfilter to make it pressurized, not very sure how much difference it would make though.

U mean mod for Dedica to make it unpressurized instead right. It’s already pressurized.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top