(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
What’s the benefit of bottomless filter? Looks cool only? Or something else.
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
What’s the benefit of bottomless filter? Looks cool only? Or something else.
The only benefit is that it'll force you to improve on your basket prep. How even your grounds are distributed etc. Even extracted coffee always taste better

Sent from Xiaomi MI A1 using GAGT
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Yea seems like a good choice for me though single boiler. Just wait for steam lor. I saw their demonstrations videos. And I timed the steam button. Takes 1 min to go to 135 degree and slightly more to go to 140.

If I got spare cash of cos I want double boiler. But I drink once a day in the morning only. And 1 cup only. Spend $3k doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense for me.

really depends how much u love coffee.
I drink 1 cup a day too but I maybe spending too much

waiting to steam for 1-2min doesn't make make single boiler unsuitable for milk base drinks imho.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
The only benefit is that it'll force you to improve on your basket prep. How even your grounds are distributed etc. Even extracted coffee always taste better

Sent from Xiaomi MI A1 using GAGT

only to the people that can tell really.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,395
Reaction score
15,839
Yea seems like a good choice for me though single boiler. Just wait for steam lor. I saw their demonstrations videos. And I timed the steam button. Takes 1 min to go to 135 degree and slightly more to go to 140.

If I got spare cash of cos I want double boiler. But I drink once a day in the morning only. And 1 cup only. Spend $3k doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense for me.

Don't think you need a double boiler. The startup time is longer and more components in a double boiler to fail.

A simple heat exchanger that don't run too hot is the most appropriate option, should be still $1xxx. The control of grind setting is the most headache part imo.
 

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
11,100
Reaction score
1
Yea seems like a good choice for me though single boiler. Just wait for steam lor. I saw their demonstrations videos. And I timed the steam button. Takes 1 min to go to 135 degree and slightly more to go to 140.

If I got spare cash of cos I want double boiler. But I drink once a day in the morning only. And 1 cup only. Spend $3k doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense for me.

That’s why I’m seriously considering the Gaggia at $769 with local support.
 

linusz

Master Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2001
Messages
3,035
Reaction score
107
those using dedica? i timed the double cup volume = its about 23 seconds.
should i adjust it to 30 seconds? or it is better to be 2x the grams?
 

compuser

Banned
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
4,465
Reaction score
1,613
I also think that get a heat exchanger will be the best for users who drink mainly latte or caps.

Single boilers need wait for the machine to switch between steam and brew temperature and do some routine to heat or cool the system, very troublesome de.

If I remember correctly, single boilers don't have auto detection that there's no water in it. You will have to fill it up manually and if the boiler is actually empty and you actually heat it up, the boiler can get badly damaged. Not user or family friendly.
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
I also think that get a heat exchanger will be the best for users who drink mainly latte or caps.

Single boilers need wait for the machine to switch between steam and brew temperature and do some routine to heat or cool the system, very troublesome de.

If I remember correctly, single boilers don't have auto detection that there's no water in it. You will have to fill it up manually and if the boiler is actually empty and you actually heat it up, the boiler can get badly damaged. Not user or family friendly.

The model I’m aiming have. Lelit Victoria. Got a control pid system that warns u no water.
 
Last edited:

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
those using dedica? i timed the double cup volume = its about 23 seconds.
should i adjust it to 30 seconds? or it is better to be 2x the grams?


Try to use weight instead of volume to measure. Volume can be tricky because of crema.

1:2 ratio (dose:output) in 23-33 secs is usually fine. some machines brew faster than others due to basket size, basket holes, preinfusion, pressure ramp up speed, etc.

How does it taste?
Thin, weak, bitter - Tighten grind/increase dose/tighten brew ratio(e.g 1:1.5)/brew longer

Too thick but Sour - grind coarser/increase temperature a bit/decrease dose/increase brew ratio (e.g. 1:2.5)

Bitter and Sour - Temp could be too hot, uneven extraction, uneven roasting, poorly made split roasted blend

You have tried everything but it still taste bad - Change your roaster.

Tricky thing is that changing one variable can change another.

This is a good system to make adjustments.

 
Last edited:

sseah12

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2013
Messages
524
Reaction score
10
Thinking of letting go my bezerra bz10 local set still with warranty fulfilled by distributer according to serial number... Anyone keen can pm me.. But self collect at my place. Not much chance to use it nowadays...
 

ksapple

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
27,441
Reaction score
4,875
qn for those using dedica ec680 de, for 2 scoop what is the weight of coffee powder? 14g or 22g?
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,968
Reaction score
171
Tester, what's your typical yield for Strega double shots e.g. 18-19g? Do you stop when the lever hits the top?
 

hoppinghippos

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2000
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Thinking of letting go my bezerra bz10 local set still with warranty fulfilled by distributer according to serial number... Anyone keen can pm me.. But self collect at my place. Not much chance to use it nowadays...
Hi sseah12 how much are you selling it?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top