(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
Coffee bean naturally got oil, the burr is covered by oil when grinding. Please clean your burr using specialized grinder cleaner.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
Has anyone tried Cultivar Coffee? Their charcoal-roasted is quite good especially in the mornings. Bought a few bags to try.
 

jaspreettttt

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2015
Messages
64
Reaction score
6
Hi, those who bought niche zero directly from Indiegogo, the courier DPD, will they call you to pay the tax or they'll collect at the doorstep? It's because my parcel status is as follows; Your parcel is being processed through customs, pending the payment of duties and taxes.

I can't seem to find their local contact number to call and confirm. Wondering if anyone had to contact them first or something?
TIA
 

ksapple

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
27,438
Reaction score
4,874
Hi, those who bought niche zero directly from Indiegogo, the courier DPD, will they call you to pay the tax or they'll collect at the doorstep? It's because my parcel status is as follows; Your parcel is being processed through customs, pending the payment of duties and taxes.

I can't seem to find their local contact number to call and confirm. Wondering if anyone had to contact them first or something?
TIA
hahah same same, mine put delivery on Thursday leh. Not sure if their last mile partner is Ninja Van anot.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
yes I also freeze my beans in freezer.
it feels as fresh (to me at least)


Yes yes yes. Freezing is the way to go if you are buying in bulk. If you buy in bulk you can get very high quality beans for so much cheaper.

buy 1kg (much more savings compare 1kg bag and 250g x 4 bags and you know what I mean) as fresh as possible.
split your purchase in 200g x 5 air-tight containers
use 1st 200g with the foil bag that the coffee came with to squeeze out all air stored in another the airtight container, freeze the other 4 containers. (Protip: buy small tupperwear)
after 1st 200g container finishes, take out 2nd 200g container from freezer (do not open first!) defrost it first to room temp. (This is very important since moisture degrades coffee. When you freeze in an airtight container and defrost it with the container still sealed, you won't introduce any additional moisture content from outside air and cause excessive condensation except for the tiny bit that was originally available from the air inside the container. This tiny bit of water content is insignificant as your container is full there there is very little air in the first place as in any case normal temp air also has moisture!)
Transfer bean to same foil bag, squeeze out air and store in container.
Use all within 1 month (2 x 20g shots x 30 days = finished in less than 1 month)

I am been drinking brewed coffee for almost 19 years. Freezing for the last 1 year. I can safely say with this method there is very little impact to the coffee's freshness.
 
Last edited:

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Has anyone tried Cultivar Coffee? Their charcoal-roasted is quite good especially in the mornings. Bought a few bags to try.
will try sounds good. was fortunate to be able to drink sumiyaki roasted coffee brew using campfire kettle coffee method. The settings, weather and company made it lovely.
 

cydutzyahoo

Master Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
4,704
Reaction score
33
can anybody advise
I am planning to get grinder
currently considering between Fellow Ode Brew Grinder vs Eureka mignon crono for my weekly latte
can guru here advise? thanks
 

Dirk3Diggler

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2018
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Fellow ode is not an espresso grinder. Eureka mignon is. Mignon manuale or silenzio will work as on demand grinder. Not recommended for single dosing.

For weekly latte I would suggest hand grinder like commodate, kinu, 1zpresso
 

cydutzyahoo

Master Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
4,704
Reaction score
33
Fellow ode is not an espresso grinder. Eureka mignon is. Mignon manuale or silenzio will work as on demand grinder. Not recommended for single dosing.

For weekly latte I would suggest hand grinder like commodate, kinu, 1zpresso
I am currently using hand grinder. Too slow and tiring. After upgrade to electric, I might drink on weekday morning also haha
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
I read before that freeze your coffee is not a good idea because when you grind, condensation will happen rapidly and damage your grinder.
I spray beans with water and then add them to my grinder. The grinder is fine.

Condensation would only happen rapidly to you grinder if you make coffee by taking your grinder out of the fridge.
 

prozaizxc

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
Hi, any niche owners can share what’s your experience changing from espresso to v60? Just got my niche and espresso is great. V60 on the other hand grinds very finely for me. For espresso, im on 15-20 on the dial. For v60, I’ve turned it all the way coarse - almost one revolution to around 10 and it’s still grinding finely and brew time is long, especially towards the end on the drawdown. I suspect this is also due to espresso fines in the burrs causing this?

question is: what setting do u use for ur v60 on the niche? I saw other forums saying 40-50 but that’s way fine for me hence i kept going coarser until almost 1 revolution coarser

also, when u go back from coarse to fine grind, do u grind some beans every 10 clicks to purge the coarse beans out? The manual recommends to do that to avoid damaging the burrs.
 

coffinbay

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Hi all, i am new to this forum. I just converted from capsules (after many years) to a basic breville barista express less than a month ago. But for some strange reasons i am trying to find out more about niche, bianca and synchronika. Very poisonous hobby, and forum :D
 

pvdwerff1971@gmail.com

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2020
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Hi, any niche owners can share what’s your experience changing from espresso to v60? Just got my niche and espresso is great. V60 on the other hand grinds very finely for me. For espresso, im on 15-20 on the dial. For v60, I’ve turned it all the way coarse - almost one revolution to around 10 and it’s still grinding finely and brew time is long, especially towards the end on the drawdown. I suspect this is also due to espresso fines in the burrs causing this?

question is: what setting do u use for ur v60 on the niche? I saw other forums saying 40-50 but that’s way fine for me hence i kept going coarser until almost 1 revolution coarser

also, when u go back from coarse to fine grind, do u grind some beans every 10 clicks to purge the coarse beans out? The manual recommends to do that to avoid damaging the burrs.
I also used my Niche in the beginning for v60 as I had no espresso machine yet. Also indeed about a full turn out for v60 and that also still looked to be too fine. Now have an espresso machine, use niche for espresso and hand grinder for v60. Also wonder if long term it may be bad for the Niche adjusting it that often and soo much.
 

ksapple

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
27,438
Reaction score
4,874
I tried dial in my niche on my dedica.

But i dial in Friday @ 16 no problem, this morning it become too fine 36 sec only 12g out. I need to go to 18 to get 36g out in 36sec
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Hi all, i am new to this forum. I just converted from capsules (after many years) to a basic breville barista express less than a month ago. But for some strange reasons i am trying to find out more about niche, bianca and synchronika. Very poisonous hobby, and forum :D

look at the decent it’s gives you many stuff to play with.

old fashion la pavonia not that expensive maybe same your breville but no grinder. They are generally more lasting too
https://www.lapavoni.com/en/product/europiccola-black-base/
these guys finally coming out with HG-2. Niche is a great grinder loved by many.
https://weberworkshops.com/
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top