(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

chanvh

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
654
Reaction score
0
off the topic but still relevant in general:

"after using the Bezzera Magica and BB005 grinder (while waiting for the arrival of Niche Zero), I must say life has been pretty slick and simple on workflow. I managed to pull reasonable good shots on single, the only issue is the cake gets stuck at times on the shower head. during the single shots, those I weight averagely 8.54gms."

The other 3 things I discovered:
1) the Magica's experience with steaming milk is like the speed of a Ferrari. That good even for a HX.

2) Tamping and Grinding is a joy, but found that I need to ensure careful distribution and tamping in order to get consistent "tight" streams during the shot pull. I typically try to hit between 21-25 secs at most.

3) Discovered I disliked the variable bean produce Pak Song gives (seeing I'm a heavy espresso bias shooter), I'd rather go back to my Italian Extra Dark Blends with Bezzera or FCCs choices. On this, I felt drinking pure Robusta was a little odd, it felt a little unnatural almost. Can't really describe it. I'd figure better to stick with the 80/20 blends or some other styles.

extra point - I really am bad at latte art. I figured I've give up the expectation for beautifying the milk cups and keep trying until I get a "steady hand"
 
Last edited:

SNAG

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,886
Reaction score
112
Just to share a cleaning hack:

My E61 grouphead had some grime (as we cook quite a lot in the kitchen).

Bought Cafetto Inverso, soaked some kitchen towels with the solution and laid on the group head for 30 mins. Came out squeaky clean with zero elbow grease. Also works for cleaning milk frothers, jugs etc. Also works for cleaning your machine from coffee stains.

https://www.cafetto.com/product/inverso
 
Last edited:

pvdwerff1971@gmail.com

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2020
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
off the topic but still relevant in general:

"after using the Bezzera Magica and BB005 grinder (while waiting for the arrival of Niche Zero), I must say life has been pretty slick and simple on workflow. I managed to pull reasonable good shots on single, the only issue is the cake gets stuck at times on the shower head. during the single shots, those I weight averagely 8.54gms."

The other 3 things I discovered:
1) the Magica's experience with steaming milk is like the speed of a Ferrari. That good even for a HX.

2) Tamping and Grinding is a joy, but found that I need to ensure careful distribution and tamping in order to get consistent "tight" streams during the shot pull. I typically try to hit between 21-25 secs at most.

3) Discovered I disliked the variable bean produce Pak Song gives (seeing I'm a heavy espresso bias shooter), I'd rather go back to my Italian Extra Dark Blends with Bezzera or FCCs choices. On this, I felt drinking pure Robusta was a little odd, it felt a little unnatural almost. Can't really describe it. I'd figure better to stick with the 80/20 blends or some other styles.

extra point - I really am bad at latte art. I figured I've give up the expectation for beautifying the milk cups and keep trying until I get a "steady hand"
How do you overall like the bb005? I ordered my Niche end last year and according to the site should be shipped in March. Once arrived can go shopping for espresso machine, think will be the Magica. At FCC in bundled deal the bb005 is only sgd400,- so wonder if it’s worth to buy as 2nd grinder?
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,418
Reaction score
15,863
I've been using the BB005 for i think at least 5 years in my office tanking 6kg to 10kg of beans a month.
We are doing single dosing, don't see any issues.
Before first cup, throw a few beans to flush the grinder and no longer bother about whatever retention issues.
 

ksapple

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
27,443
Reaction score
4,876
It's very fast and stocks cleared out within 30 mins. Think orders opened at 11pm SGT yesterday.

ya i tink tat is the only day in feb i did not check. On the good side all is on apr waiting list which means still gt another chance order in Mar
 

Vinified

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
816
Reaction score
1
Am using a Gaggia pro over the last 12 months as well. And I'm probably not answering your question directly. Haha.

Was also thinking about a bottomless portafilter actually. But held back on it because ultimately it feels more like something to 'jazz up' the process. Ultimately the extraction quality comes to grind quality, tamper consistency and accurate dialing. So far I've managed to get pretty consistent results just by watching the flow rate, viscosity and blinding. So overall, I didn't feel a bottomless portafilter would add much value in that sense.

And at the end of the day, this is a simple but ultimately basic machine. Key variables like pressure and temperature control are sorely lacking (without mods), so I do feel there's a 'ceiling' to which this machine that one can play with.

Hence.. I decided to save this little money towards a new machine or a new grinder!

Agree, What machine/grinder are you looking at next?

I've only had mine for 3 months, kinda hit the ceiling already. Wanted to get the bottomless to up my game in terms of tamping and grind size adjustments as the beans degas
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
Agree, What machine/grinder are you looking at next?

I've only had mine for 3 months, kinda hit the ceiling already. Wanted to get the bottomless to up my game in terms of tamping and grind size adjustments as the beans degas

I'm looking at the Niche zero for my next grinder. Fits well with my single dosing work flow. And of course it looks great. Currently using a Settle 30, which works fairly well except I hate how loud it is. And micro adjustments are not available - but not too big of a problem.

Machine wise, haven't really decided. Looking at the $2k to $2.5k range. So Lelit Marax, a few of the Bezzera BZ might fit into budget. Not into milk drinks, mainly espressos and long blacks, so HX and steam power not high on my priorities. Speed of warm up is however very important to me.

What about you?
 

chanvh

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
654
Reaction score
0
bb005 not bad

How do you overall like the bb005? I ordered my Niche end last year and according to the site should be shipped in March. Once arrived can go shopping for espresso machine, think will be the Magica. At FCC in bundled deal the bb005 is only sgd400,- so wonder if it’s worth to buy as 2nd grinder?

I was very critical and skeptical about it, but after using it for quite a bit i love its charm for being a dysfunctional italian grinder in my kitchen . i love knocking it, dispensing without set timing and just mainly tuning the fine adjustments the heck out of it, so yes its a stepless grinder. you sometimes forget but its the interestig but about owning the bb005.

it makes a nice noise but not overly loud. so yes good solid investment.
 

ponders

Master Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
4,658
Reaction score
346
I'm looking at the Niche zero for my next grinder. Fits well with my single dosing work flow. And of course it looks great. Currently using a Settle 30, which works fairly well except I hate how loud it is. And micro adjustments are not available - but not too big of a problem.

Machine wise, haven't really decided. Looking at the $2k to $2.5k range. So Lelit Marax, a few of the Bezzera BZ might fit into budget. Not into milk drinks, mainly espressos and long blacks, so HX and steam power not high on my priorities. Speed of warm up is however very important to me.

What about you?

Do tell us what you get in the end.

I am currently using a WPM (or Sunbeam) and will buy a new one once this is Sunbeam really does give up. Been doing self-repairs to salvage the machine but eventually I will get a proper european machine.

Also looking at Mara X but also the Bezzera Magica or ECM Mechanika Slim.

Each seems to have + - points to me. ECM is the top contender for me due to the ease of repairs and maintenance but at the same time there is no official distributor in Singapore.
 

ksapple

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
27,443
Reaction score
4,876
Last edited:

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,968
Reaction score
171
I'm looking at the Niche zero for my next grinder. Fits well with my single dosing work flow. And of course it looks great. Currently using a Settle 30, which works fairly well except I hate how loud it is. And micro adjustments are not available - but not too big of a problem.

Machine wise, haven't really decided. Looking at the $2k to $2.5k range. So Lelit Marax, a few of the Bezzera BZ might fit into budget. Not into milk drinks, mainly espressos and long blacks, so HX and steam power not high on my priorities. Speed of warm up is however very important to me.

What about you?

If you're mostly into espressos and long blacks, perhaps you can consider Strega. Playing around with the piston can yield a different range of flavours and depth.
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
If you're mostly into espressos and long blacks, perhaps you can consider Strega. Playing around with the piston can yield a different range of flavours and depth.

Yes, that had been on my mind as well. My problem will be counter top space. Looks abit outsized for me.
 

Vinified

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
816
Reaction score
1
Currently on Gaggia classic pro / Eureka Mignon Specialita set up. Aiming for
The Rocket Appartamento & Niche Zero next!

Specialita is great actually, but really not a single dose type of grinder.


I'm looking at the Niche zero for my next grinder. Fits well with my single dosing work flow. And of course it looks great. Currently using a Settle 30, which works fairly well except I hate how loud it is. And micro adjustments are not available - but not too big of a problem.

Machine wise, haven't really decided. Looking at the $2k to $2.5k range. So Lelit Marax, a few of the Bezzera BZ might fit into budget. Not into milk drinks, mainly espressos and long blacks, so HX and steam power not high on my priorities. Speed of warm up is however very important to me.

What about you?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top