(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

DessChia

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
where to get Rancilio Silvia?

May i know where can i get Rancilio Silvia V3 from ? with best price ? thanks
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
May i know where can i get Rancilio Silvia V3 from ? with best price ? thanks

Hi, the local distributor here is Spinelli. Price is about $1k for the machine only. Go check out their website.

Alternatively, you can call Highlander Coffee to check for 2nd hand. The last time I was there I saw a Silvia for sale.
 

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
May i know where can i get Rancilio Silvia V3 from ? with best price ? thanks

I started off with Ms Silvia but now I'm looking at HX machines.

So do consider the HX machine, it's more expensive but I guess it will last you quite a bit of time.
 

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2000
Messages
12,966
Reaction score
20
Most Silvia users had already upgraded to HX or others. Sylvia's temperature surf like crap and you need to modify here and there to make it "stable".

Go straight for heat exchangers.
If you are making milk recipes like Latte or Cappuccino, single boilers are a pain in the ass to use.

Heat exchanger or double boilers can steam and brew coffee at the same time.
While single boilers have to wait for the single boiler to reach the right temperature for either purpose, alot of waiting time required.

Cheapest HX in the market is only $1398.

If you don't count start up time and using an on demand grinder, HX can get your latte or cappuccino done within a min. No kidding.

If SB, maybe add another 3 mins.
If you are using hand grinder, add another 3-5 mins again.
 
Last edited:

DessChia

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
HX machine ...

Thanks for all the helpful advises. Any brands recommend of HX machine? Entree level or mid.
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
Its been a hectic few months and I've hardly made any coffee at home. Now things have just slowed down a little and I've managed to try out some new blends.

Last wed, I was around sim ming near upper thomson. I was going November 8 to get some beans but they weren't selling any for this batch. They asked me to try Oz, which is in the same building. So off I went, but all they had was 10 days' old beans and I left disappointed again. Then I remembered derazor bro mentioning a cafe called 'habitat' which is just across the road. Not wanting a hattrick, I called ahead to enquire first. Selling beans? Checked. Date of roast? 4 days ago, checked.
2trVrFJ.jpg

$14 for 250gm.
I was in a rush. And I've forgotten to ask what kinda beans they're using.

I pulled a 16gm dose on my usual setting using the HG One. Too fast. I was lazy to agjust the grind size so I upped the dose to 18gm. First thing I noticed was, there's a lotta crema. I was expecting the usual flow with striping patterns but the whole cone is just crema. I kinda suspect there's some robusta in this blend. 28gm in 30sec from a 18gm dose. Usually when I pull ristrettos there's bound to be mottling in my cup. But not from this blend. Its just plain crema on top.
Taste wise its quite balanced, with just a hint of acidity.
The following shot is drowned in milk.
79ytWqv.jpg
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
It doesn't really matter whether there's robusta in it.
Most important is how it feels in your mouth.
Robusta should have a stinging note which is not that hard to identify.

There might be an increased amount of crema if it was not rested enough, 4 days old is still too early for drinking.
 

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
Thanks for all the helpful advises. Any brands recommend of HX machine? Entree level or mid.

Take note grinder is more important than the coffee maker.
If cost concern save for a good grinder then only get a machine.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Long cone with alots of crema could also mean the water is too hot or flash boiling. Nice latte! My latte pouring skill is infantile at best. :(


Its been a hectic few months and I've hardly made any coffee at home. Now things have just slowed down a little and I've managed to try out some new blends.

Last wed, I was around sim ming near upper thomson. I was going November 8 to get some beans but they weren't selling any for this batch. They asked me to try Oz, which is in the same building. So off I went, but all they had was 10 days' old beans and I left disappointed again. Then I remembered derazor bro mentioning a cafe called 'habitat' which is just across the road. Not wanting a hattrick, I called ahead to enquire first. Selling beans? Checked. Date of roast? 4 days ago, checked.
2trVrFJ.jpg

$14 for 250gm.
I was in a rush. And I've forgotten to ask what kinda beans they're using.

I pulled a 16gm dose on my usual setting using the HG One. Too fast. I was lazy to agjust the grind size so I upped the dose to 18gm. First thing I noticed was, there's a lotta crema. I was expecting the usual flow with striping patterns but the whole cone is just crema. I kinda suspect there's some robusta in this blend. 28gm in 30sec from a 18gm dose. Usually when I pull ristrettos there's bound to be mottling in my cup. But not from this blend. Its just plain crema on top.
Taste wise its quite balanced, with just a hint of acidity.
The following shot is drowned in milk.
79ytWqv.jpg
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Thanks for all the helpful advises. Any brands recommend of HX machine? Entree level or mid.

I Think your decision to go hx or single boiler should depend on your usage. If you are just making only espressos and the very occasional latte and on a budget then PIDed Silvia or single boiler is ok. Otherwise wise hx or db offers more convenience for the money esp with when making a lot of drinks or steaming.
 
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
chanced upon this thread while searching for a hand grinder for my aeropress...

just wanna say that coffee beans from those shophouses along Balestier/Sims Ave taste comparable to those sold by branded roasters/cafes. And they cost half the price :s22:

My personal preference is a 50:50 blend of Colombia & Robusta EK.


you guys should try them sometime, beware of pebbles in the beans though...

* using a VBM pid double boiler & Lelit PL53 *
 

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
chanced upon this thread while searching for a hand grinder for my aeropress...

just wanna say that coffee beans from those shophouses along Balestier/Sims Ave taste comparable to those sold by branded roasters/cafes. And they cost half the price :s22:

My personal preference is a 50:50 blend of Colombia & Robusta EK.


you guys should try them sometime, beware of pebbles in the beans though...

* using a VBM pid double boiler & Lelit PL53 *

See this one I papa. Don't want penny wise, pound foolish.
Esp when you're doing in the morning the brain sure is very blur.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top