(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Guys any place that can get coffee in more convenient manner. Location ( near mrt ) and late closing time.

Papa, Toby's, nylon and highlander closes very early. Can't pick them after work

Don't they open real early? Pick up in the morning, at the office or in your car can smell coffee all day
 

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
for milk streaming, there are 2 steps.
(1)air introduction and (2)heating up.

for me, its only 2-3secs difference of step 1. may differ from machine to machine.

Sent from GAGT Android App

Bro, I don't know why? I even put 1s at stage 1 and dunk it in more than 2inches the froth also quite a lot and I'm only using a single boiler. Is it my angle too optimized?
 

n0d3

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Messages
9,821
Reaction score
25
Bro, I don't know why? I even put 1s at stage 1 and dunk it in more than 2inches the froth also quite a lot and I'm only using a single boiler. Is it my angle too optimized?

Basically a cap has more foam/slightly more 'dry' compared to foam you want for a latte/flat white etc. If you give it a swirl you can see how much of the milk you've just textured is foam and how much it sticks to the side of the jug, comes with experience.

Depends on a lot of factors like chikyblink mentioned. Try stretching it slowly while texturing at the same time. Start off with the wand deeper than you normally would have it and slowly raise it introducing a bit of air to stretch the milk while at the same time trying to find the proper angle to texture. You don't really have to separate it into two distinct stretch/texturing phases. Try with water and a bit of dishwashing detergent (one tiny drop) to practise if you don't wanna waste milk. Just make sure you purge.
 

qwe7410

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
0
Actually i'm figuring out how to dip the wand into the surface and just on handsfree, like how the barista was doing in the earlier video.

Like that, it will be more consistent.
So i'm wondering for latte, can i just push the wand deeper in.
Cappuccino isn't a big problem for me.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Bro, I don't know why? I even put 1s at stage 1 and dunk it in more than 2inches the froth also quite a lot and I'm only using a single boiler. Is it my angle too optimized?

could be because your pitcher size x milk amount is not optimized to your steam power. My guess is your pitcher is too big and your milk is too little. So the rolling of the milk in the pitcher has too much turbulence. Or (unlikely) it could also be you texture for too long so the milk starts to boil.

Why not post a video?
 

n0d3

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Messages
9,821
Reaction score
25
could be because your pitcher size x milk amount is not optimized to your steam power. My guess is your pitcher is too big and your milk is too little. So the rolling of the milk in the pitcher has too much turbulence. Or (unlikely) it could also be you texture for too long so the milk starts to boil.

Why not post a video?

I suspect your problem might be what LT has mentioned. If you're overstretching most likely your pitcher size is too small and you have too little milk and you end up introducing too much air into the milk. Although I doubt he is overheating the milk though because it would be very obvious (yellowing) and don't think that affects the quantity of foam that much.

Post a video.
 

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
i try to post video but 2 hands are on the pitcher already, not easy.

I'm using the 12oz pitcher, I do have a bigger 20oz but I think the 12oz fits better. Normally I will fill it up with milk slightly below the spout. The want is angled and positioned between the center and the edge to ensure there's rolling.

Currently I will put it like 1s slightly below the surface and dunk it in 1.5 to 2inch below milk surface and remove the wand when I can't hold the pitcher due to heat.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
i try to post video but 2 hands are on the pitcher already, not easy.

I'm using the 12oz pitcher, I do have a bigger 20oz but I think the 12oz fits better. Normally I will fill it up with milk slightly below the spout. The want is angled and positioned between the center and the edge to ensure there's rolling.

Currently I will put it like 1s slightly below the surface and dunk it in 1.5 to 2inch below milk surface and remove the wand when I can't hold the pitcher due to heat.

I used a 8oz pitcher with the silvia. Try putting enough milk about slightly less than half of the height of the of the pitcher (about 4 oz). Turn on the steam to full blast with fhe wand deep inside and immediately lower the pitcher until u get About 2secs of the sucking sound. Then raise the pitcher and get a nice smooth rolling. Don't plunge the wand too deep otherwise too much power of the steam is lost hitting the bottom of the pitcher. The aim is to get a smooth rolling movement without too much turbulence.

I think you stop the Steaming at just the right time. Nice thing about the Silvia is actually the low steaming power. Perfect for 1 cup and slow enough to for beginners so that you don't have to rush the steps.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
stock 2 holes

starting got a lot of bubbles, even dunk down can't really mix the big bubbles back

Sounds like the pitcher is too large and there is too much milk for the silvia to creating the rolling to integrate the large bubbles into the mix.
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
My vibiemme comes with 2 holes too. Also using a 12oz pitcher.

Try this:
Steaming wand straight 90° position.
Pitcher straight 90° also.
Position steam wand straight in the center of the milk, covering the steam tip.
Turn on full blast, lowering or raising the pitcher to do your steaming, but always in a straight up/down movement.



What this will do with the 2 holes is pushing the milk from the center of the pitcher downwards to the bottom and raising up at the edge of the pitcher, sorta like a vertical whirlpool.
This method yields the most consistent results for me, because it doesn't require your steam wand to be at an angle and you shifting your pitcher around at weird angles trying to find the right spot to swirl the milk.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top