(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

1 Ghz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
10,157
Reaction score
274
Hey folks, I'm glad to see there's a huge thread on espresso; still reading through page 200 or so till I catch up with the latest posts. :o

Anyway, just a short intro, I started getting into espresso ~6 months back with the Delonghi EC155 and Breville Smart Grinder Pro, and immediately removed the bottom half of the pressurized portafilter and went bottomless. The almost useless panarello wand was replaced shortly with a Rancilio Silvia v1 wand which created a screeching sound no matter how hard I tried to froth the milk. I then swapped the steam tip with a Gaggia Latte Art wand which finally allowed me to produce some microfoam. In short, I wasted money on the Silvia wand, but at least milk didn't bake into this plastic wand.

BTW, I would recommend this Latte Art wand for users who want to stick with appliance grade machines like Delonghi or Saeco; at the very least it extends the length of the steam wand which becomes too short after the Pannarello is detached.

Panarello.jpg


Two months after that, I got tired of the small boiler in the EC155 and bought a Lelit PL60PLUST (I'm based in the US; it's probably unavailable in SG). The steam was so much more powerful; creating microfoam was now much easier even without adjustable steam pressure but I noticed that my previous grind settings on the EC155 was causing channeling on the Lelit. :eek:

Most recently, I've moved on to single shots and found out how difficult the stock single basket was to use even with the finest grind setting. I switched to a La Marzocco single basket, applied nutation (which allowed me to grind coarser) and managed to get decent shots with just 7g of beans. :D



Last month I tried 100% Robusta cappucinos (Kaapi Royale) and it was pretty good. My newest beans are Haiti Blue. The seller sells beans in 1lb bags, so I've to drink 2x single shots per day to finish the beans in a month before they go too stale. :o

Haiti_Blue_1.jpg


After learning to make my own coffee, I don't think I can go back to kopitiam coffee or starbucks; they taste burnt to me, plus the feeling of drinking coffee with microfoam and latte art on top is addictive. :)
 
Last edited:

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
15,795
I can imagine that, I ever tried an 80% robusta. It's thicker than honey. A little too bitter though :o
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,471
Reaction score
438
Nice single shot, never have good experience using the single basket and never went back again!

The Lelit is pretty popular in Aussie forums, in case you need any read up or support, coffeesnobs au forums is pretty good for that.
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,471
Reaction score
438
For some reason I don't like Yirgacheffe, or anything that taste similar from PPP. I find that the new age coffee are heading towards such taste notes rather than a little darker and bitter.

On a side note, think PPP is selling the La Marzocco GS3 MP for $12k..... not sure why there's such a premium given even Australia is selling at most $10k.
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
I tried the Indo coffee, jackfruit note is damn strong. A little sweet I the aftertaste. Acceptable but not my type. Might like it better with milk. :o

You tried lalo estate from nylon for Ethiopian?

Nylon? Not yet
Will try out
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
15,795
Nylon? Not yet
Will try out
I think Nylon's Ethiopian roast is pretty good. :o
But all these Ethiopian beans are normally lighter roasted to taste the notes though, at the same time more sour.

I tried the Dockyard Sunda coffee as latte, taste pretty good. Prefer it over espresso.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Our regional coffee ie Bali blue moon, Papua New Guinea, sumatra mandheling didn't win the love of local here?
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
I don't recommend getting the w version. Mine is the W version and it broke down twice already. Error with the load cell. I think the technology is not mature yet.

The non-W version doesnt seem to have this problem.

If you single dose just get the non-w version.

u got yours from where? so good got warranty 1 ah.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top