(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
I was previously using the Rocket Rotary E61, but after using lever profiles on the machine, i now understand why people love espresso from lever machines, the espresso tend to be much smoother with reduced acidity..

Sold your rocket already?
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Yup sold already, rocket really has good resale value, its was gone within a few hours posted on Carousell.
 

Igene

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2002
Messages
14,172
Reaction score
1,239
I think a key advantage of the lever machine is not only the amazing shots, is the durability and easy to service due to its simplicity in design.

I recently went and took out the spring piston to service. Quite a pleasant experience and i now know why it can last a long time. :o


This is a pic of after servicing. Actually I think I did it too early, was told that the grouphead typically should last about 5 years before first servicing on the piston. Heard E61 requires the most servicing due to the many gears inside and the thermosyphon thing actually make it worse as limescale tend to build up in the grouphead from the continuous circulation.

Z7OUvZd.jpg

Agreed. Lever machine relatively simpler. Most parts are user replaceable.

Brewing with it though is not easy to master though, especially some classic lever (like la Pavoni Europiccola).
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
How long has the Strega been on the market? It has formed a cult of die-hard fans in HB forum. I think it has been out for like 4-5 years or so and there's a good chance Bezzera might launch a slightly upgraded version soon. Perhaps a PID version.

the oldest thread on it is dated in 2011, its been longer than 4-5yrs
 

BarbieDog

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
6,078
Reaction score
0
any cheap auto burr grinder?

i using hario skerton and i now very lazy to use my hand already. dam tiring
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
Cut the chase summary - is FCC's BZ10+BBOO5 still the best bang for buck combo for a beginner?

Details - Yes I'm back here again :o Still drinking my nespressos from my 5 year old Pixie, which is still working. Somehow I feel the extraction is getting weak and temperature lower. Maybe it's just me getting bored.

On weekdays I absolutely have no time to make espressos in the morning. So it's going to be my office's commercial Nespresso machine still. But on weekends I do make my own - both milk and non-milk nespressos. So you can say I'm a very light user. The weekend is also when I'm Keen to play with beans and grinds.

Been looking at Rancilio Silvia and the Breville infuser. With a decent grinder (Approx 500$) it's going to be about 1.5k. But both has got quite severe limitations based on online reviews.

Should I bite the bullet and go for the BZ10 combo, or should I just keep to Nespresso because the incremental improvement on taste is not worth the 1.5-2k investment (esp since I only drink on weekends)?
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Cut the chase summary - is FCC's BZ10+BBOO5 still the best bang for buck combo for a beginner?

Details - Yes I'm back here again :o Still drinking my nespressos from my 5 year old Pixie, which is still working. Somehow I feel the extraction is getting weak and temperature lower. Maybe it's just me getting bored.

On weekdays I absolutely have no time to make espressos in the morning. So it's going to be my office's commercial Nespresso machine still. But on weekends I do make my own - both milk and non-milk nespressos. So you can say I'm a very light user. The weekend is also when I'm Keen to play with beans and grinds.

Been looking at Rancilio Silvia and the Breville infuser. With a decent grinder (Approx 500$) it's going to be about 1.5k. But both has got quite severe limitations based on online reviews.

Should I bite the bullet and go for the BZ10 combo, or should I just keep to Nespresso because the incremental improvement on taste is not worth the 1.5-2k investment (esp since I only drink on weekends)?

I am not familiar with the BZ10, but for the BB005 grinder i can share some feedback as i use to own it.

The BB005 retention is quite high and both the grind adjustment and timer can be quite a pain to use. For the new selling price and given the 2nd hand options available on carousel, i would be more inclined to get maybe a super jolly, remove the static screen and you can easily be single dosing.
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
Thanks for the idea!
Gosh, why does every new idea = even higher price. :o

Can you elaborate abit more about the timer issue for BB? TIA
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
The timer is single knob you turn at the side. Depending on the knob position when you hit the dispense button it will run the grinder for a x amount of time. most of the time the dispense amount will vary due to aging of beans etc. so if the machine dispense lesser grind you will need to turn the knob to manual mode to top up the rest. Turning the knob will likely make you lose all the previous setting hard to explain , u will need to see it in action.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,804
I'm using the BB005 with strega for home and Quamar M80E with BZ13 for office.
The Quamar M80E is quite close to the Super Jolly.
If you are doing single dosing, for home, I think the BB005 will be easier to use. You don't need to bother with the timer, you just grind everything out. :o
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Been looking at Rancilio Silvia and the Breville infuser. With a decent grinder (Approx 500$) it's going to be about 1.5k. But both has got quite severe limitations based on online reviews.

Should I bite the bullet and go for the BZ10 combo, or should I just keep to Nespresso because the incremental improvement on taste is not worth the 1.5-2k investment (esp since I only drink on weekends)?

Btw the Silvia and BZ, I will go for the BZ.
As for reviews best for u to search and compare around
Ie
https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-equipment-pointy-end-1500-3000/44665-bezzera-bz10-quamar-second-impressions.html
https://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/bezzera-bz10-early-experience-t20440.html
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/638377

Is it worth to spend $1.5-2k to drink on the weekends thats subjective. If you have to ask I venture you feel it’s not worth it. I don’t like to drink my office nespresso after owning a E61. You may switch from a infrequent user to a daily user. When u say no time it’s really about time management, i also believe I have no time but I wait up early turn in on and go about my routine. If you feel it’s impt one will make time. I love the saying “my mind is willing but my flesh is weak”
 
Last edited:

rosli8079

Member
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
440
Reaction score
0
Cut the chase summary - is FCC's BZ10+BBOO5 still the best bang for buck combo for a beginner?

Details - Yes I'm back here again :o Still drinking my nespressos from my 5 year old Pixie, which is still working. Somehow I feel the extraction is getting weak and temperature lower. Maybe it's just me getting bored.

On weekdays I absolutely have no time to make espressos in the morning. So it's going to be my office's commercial Nespresso machine still. But on weekends I do make my own - both milk and non-milk nespressos. So you can say I'm a very light user. The weekend is also when I'm Keen to play with beans and grinds.

Been looking at Rancilio Silvia and the Breville infuser. With a decent grinder (Approx 500$) it's going to be about 1.5k. But both has got quite severe limitations based on online reviews.

Should I bite the bullet and go for the BZ10 combo, or should I just keep to Nespresso because the incremental improvement on taste is not worth the 1.5-2k investment (esp since I only drink on weekends)?
Can you identify those notes described in the Nespresso's discription or do they all taste the same to you? Have you noticed that 80% of the Nespresso espresso taste similar and are actually very flat? The only stark difference is which one taste stronger or bitter.

The improvement in taste between Nespresso and the Bezzera is of course significant. The flavours from the coffee open up and you can identify the character from each source of coffee. From the first sip and the hours of lingering aftertaste, the entire experience is different.

Rancilio Silvia is a single boiler, it won't be suitable if you are drinking latte/cappuccinos.
Both Rancilio and the Bezzera retain high resale value. If you are looking at value, you may want to consider this point.

Your Pixie is also probably running half dead but you can't tell it without any visible pressure gauges.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top