(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,474
Reaction score
438
Both Rancilio and the Bezzera retain high resale value. If you are looking at value, you may want to consider this point.

I think for first hand prices, the Bezzera is very much worth it. Do your dialing right, it will serve you great.

Rancillio Silvia, unless getting good second hand (and in good condition), it is still worth the penny as its full 58mm, though the only big concern is the steam is finicky as hell (If you can master this and get great froth, you'll be a master in any other machine).
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
Thanks for all the comments! They've all been very helpful.

I can't see any used Rancilios on Carousell. The best I could find is from spinelli (V3+Rocky at $1.6k), for which I think the FCC's BZ10+BB005 at $2k is probably a better deal? Theres another Carousell seller with Rancilio V5+MignonMK2 at $1.6k as well.

Can you identify those notes described in the Nespresso's discription or do they all taste the same to you? Have you noticed that 80% of the Nespresso espresso taste similar and are actually very flat? The only stark difference is which one taste stronger or bitter.

Your Pixie is also probably running half dead but you can't tell it without any visible pressure gauges.

You are absolutely right! I don't bother with Nespressos spectrum of capsules and just go for the Ristretto and the Kazaar. They are the only ones acceptable for me. I prefer my espressos dark and earthy. Or maybe like you say - "strong".
 
Last edited:

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,806
Rancilio is a single boiler, if you are making a latte or cappuccino. you will need to switch the boiler to different mode then wait for it to reach the temperature. Then you must purge the water/steam for the boiler to have sufficient space for building steam. You will also need to manually refill the boiler with water. If you forgot to refill the boiler, i guess the heating element should fry itself pretty easily.
Quite troublesome to use.

I will take the heat exchanger which needs not have to meddle with those above instructions anyday.
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,474
Reaction score
438
I can't see any used Rancilios on Carousell. The best I could find is from spinelli (V3+Rocky at $1.6k), for which I think the FCC's BZ10+BB005 at $2k is probably a better deal? Theres another Carousell seller with Rancilio V5+MignonMK2 at $1.6k as well.

Holy smokes, V3 + Rocky for 1.6k?! Don't bother, go Bezzera. Too bad I've sold my Strega long ago, if not it would be your best price point for a great machine (of course also have to factor in grinder)

Grinder wise, do scout around for Macap/Fiorenzato/Mazzer/Eureka used, do pop up quite a bit. Depends on condition, only need to buy new burrs and will last you a long long time. I've seen some at $5xx, better investment that the BB005s.
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
Holy smokes, V3 + Rocky for 1.6k?! Don't bother, go Bezzera. Too bad I've sold my Strega long ago, if not it would be your best price point for a great machine (of course also have to factor in grinder)

Grinder wise, do scout around for Macap/Fiorenzato/Mazzer/Eureka used, do pop up quite a bit. Depends on condition, only need to buy new burrs and will last you a long long time. I've seen some at $5xx, better investment that the BB005s.

Yeah.

Pardon me - if I throw in another variable, between a Expobar brewtus IV and a BZ10, at around the same price (Expobar being a used one), what would be a better choice?
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,806
I don't know if you will benefit from a double boiler but you will be laden with the much longer start up time, longer period of power consumption and more maintenance. I'm not a big fan of buying used stuffs because I believe you will pay for it in another way by having maintenance or servicing earlier. :o
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Yeah.

Pardon me - if I throw in another variable, between a Expobar brewtus IV and a BZ10, at around the same price (Expobar being a used one), what would be a better choice?

If the expobar brewtus iv is rotary machine, if could be a good deal if its selling price is around 1.2K.

But take note that the bewtus may need to be line fed if i am not wrong for the rotary version.

To be honest both a equally capable machines, you would not go wrong with either
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
If the expobar brewtus iv is rotary machine, if could be a good deal if its selling price is around 1.2K.

But take note that the bewtus may need to be line fed if i am not wrong for the rotary version.

To be honest both a equally capable machines, you would not go wrong with either

Thanks for feedback.
It's the vibration pump version. Price wise also around there at 1.2k.

I'll need to seriously think if the warm up time will be an issue for me.. 30mins a long wait, vs BZ10'S 10mins.
 

d4rkiez

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2017
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Are there any home roasters here? Looking to reap economies of scale by bulk purchase of green beans, either through local suppliers or overseas
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
You are absolutely right! I don't bother with Nespressos spectrum of capsules and just go for the Ristretto and the Kazaar. They are the only ones acceptable for me. I prefer my espressos dark and earthy. Or maybe like you say - "strong".

Traditional Italian “strong” this blend feels like roasted to French roast to get 12 intensity on the scale. Too dark kills the origin of coffee. I used to love 10-12 intensity now it’s never my prefer choice.

If u still love this style don’t have to invest in expensive machines since your coffee roast level is French roast
https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/order/capsules/original/kazaar
A daring blend of two Robustas from Brazil and Guatemala, specially prepared for Nespresso, and a separately roasted Arabica from South America, Kazaar is a coffee of exceptional intensity. Its powerful bitterness and notes of pepper are balanced by a full and creamy texture.
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
Are there any home roasters here? Looking to reap economies of scale by bulk purchase of green beans, either through local suppliers or overseas
Behmor 1600 + user here.
What roaster are you using?

Sent from Xiaomi MI A1 using GAGT
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
Thanks for all the comments! They've all been very helpful.

I can't see any used Rancilios on Carousell. The best I could find is from spinelli (V3+Rocky at $1.6k), for which I think the FCC's BZ10+BB005 at $2k is probably a better deal? Theres another Carousell seller with Rancilio V5+MignonMK2 at $1.6k as well.



You are absolutely right! I don't bother with Nespressos spectrum of capsules and just go for the Ristretto and the Kazaar. They are the only ones acceptable for me. I prefer my espressos dark and earthy. Or maybe like you say - "strong".
The reason why you prefer the scale 10-12 is probably due to those strong coffee are under extracted with the capsule machines and those strong roasts give it back a punch from the weakly concentrated espresso.

If you switch to a professional machine, you can get the same "intensity" with a lighter roast but with a nice spread of aromatic notes.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
The reason why you prefer the scale 10-12 is probably due to those strong coffee are under extracted with the capsule machines and those strong roasts give it back a punch from the weakly concentrated espresso.

If you switch to a professional machine, you can get the same "intensity" with a lighter roast but with a nice spread of aromatic notes.

lighter roast and extraction can provide dark roast style of intensity? I am doubtful.. Bold coffee I get it..
https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/glossary
The grind is a factor that affects the flow time of the coffee and its aromatic profile. INTENSITY. The intensity of a coffee is determined by the degree of roasting, its body and its bitterness; it bears no relation to the percentage of caffeine in the espresso.

https://camanoislandcoffee.com/little-known-facts-about-coffee-strength-vs-roast/
5. Bold Coffee is Different Than A Dark Coffee Roast.
If your favorite coffee shop sells “bold” coffee, it’s not necessarily made with dark roasted coffee beans. The boldness depends on how the coffee is brewed. For a bold cup of coffee, you’ll need a higher coffee to water ratio when brewing. It’s as simple as that. A bold cup of coffee can be made with light, medium or dark roasted coffee. What makes it bold is the fact that there’s more coffee jammed into that one cup, giving it more caffeine and a stronger flavor.
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
Thanks for all the opinions! It has been decided, it shall be a BZ10+BB005. Main considerations are - speed of warm up, local product support if I need, and a HX system that should be more forgiving for a first time user.

Now to the beans. I'm a low volume drinker, so I do prefer small packages to keep things fresh . Where are some good places to get say, 100g? I see geisha have some.

What are some common go-to beans that are earthy, dark and low acidity? I also hear about French roasts that may appeal to me. Where is a good place to try some beans?
 

Mason016

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Thanks for all the opinions! It has been decided, it shall be a BZ10+BB005. Main considerations are - speed of warm up, local product support if I need, and a HX system that should be more forgiving for a first time user.

Now to the beans. I'm a low volume drinker, so I do prefer small packages to keep things fresh . Where are some good places to get say, 100g? I see geisha have some.

What are some common go-to beans that are earthy, dark and low acidity? I also hear about French roasts that may appeal to me. Where is a good place to try some beans?

Yahava Koffeeworks. Its near upper thomson.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,806
Thanks for all the opinions! It has been decided, it shall be a BZ10+BB005. Main considerations are - speed of warm up, local product support if I need, and a HX system that should be more forgiving for a first time user.

Now to the beans. I'm a low volume drinker, so I do prefer small packages to keep things fresh . Where are some good places to get say, 100g? I see geisha have some.

What are some common go-to beans that are earthy, dark and low acidity? I also hear about French roasts that may appeal to me. Where is a good place to try some beans?
I wasted a lot of coffee during my initial caliberation on the grinder.
I think you anyhow purchase a few cheap bags of 250g first. :o
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Thanks for all the opinions! It has been decided, it shall be a BZ10+BB005. Main considerations are - speed of warm up, local product support if I need, and a HX system that should be more forgiving for a first time user.

Now to the beans. I'm a low volume drinker, so I do prefer small packages to keep things fresh . Where are some good places to get say, 100g? I see geisha have some.

What are some common go-to beans that are earthy, dark and low acidity? I also hear about French roasts that may appeal to me. Where is a good place to try some beans?

congrats!
I have to agree with testerjp, initial caliberation does waste alot of beans.
I was in Seattle Coffee gear and saw a customer initial calibrating in store with illy coffee. They are nice to pull out a 3kg can for him to do, he was there for like a good 30mins still far from getting it right
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top