(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
BZ13 machine was the first Bezzera machine i bought for my office. I took that primary because of the automatic buttons to dispense the dose to score productivity points for my PIC claim.

I remember I don't taste much difference between the E61 and BZ except the notes on the BZ is slightly clearer. I don't like E61's higher start up time, I read that the preinfusion is better on the E61, can add a better body, bit more forgiving but may get coffee more intensified/bitter. Also due to the bigger brew chamber, there's more space to trap more oil that can go rancid inside and affect the next cup.


Strega is like a high definition surround system which you can hear the drop of a pin.
BZ/E61 is like decent 2.1 point speaker system.

If given a choice, I should had bought two Stregas because I later found out that Strega was also in IRAS approved list in the PIC claim.

With the Strega, I could use blends that are robusta loaded, dark and squeeze in lower pressure, and eliminate most of the bitterness, bring out the fruitiness and at the same time enjoy the body from a dark roast. You can nv get the same result with the BZ.

Thanks. I've a better understanding now. I always like the flavor profile off the Strada on how three-dimensional a coffee could taste like. Now I tend to choose cafes based on the espresso machines that they have.

How to check if Strega is under the IRAS approved list? I am not sure if they are replacing PIC with something else this year.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,804
I had a letter, government has these agents who represent them to push out SME grants. They will push to you the available grants, i think they have a quota or something .

My agent wrote in to check if it can be approved before he submitted the claim. IRAS replied that it's not necessary to check because the Bezzera was already in their approved list. I got post the letter at edmw before. I claimed twice and IRAS never check before.

PIC claim ended iirc, that blardy minister HSK is not offering anything back to SME. Undoing alot of policies from Tharman. You can use skill credit to go for barista course though.

The media company next to mine used to have xmm always coming over to chill with my staffs and drink coffee. Their boss bought I think at least 2 BZ16 + grinder and claimed gao gao too. Their consumption is like 5 x of mine.
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
How is your DE1? Giving you nightmares or sweet dreams?

Currently only sweet espresso all day long! Been pulling an average of 3 shots per day thru out the course of the day. Once i get my grind and time right, most of the adjustments are made thru the temperature which i feel has the biggest impact on taste.

The only issue is once in a while the blue tooth connection gets finicky, just need to reconnect it.
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Thanks. I've a better understanding now. I always like the flavor profile off the Strada on how three-dimensional a coffee could taste like. Now I tend to choose cafes based on the espresso machines that they have.

How to check if Strega is under the IRAS approved list? I am not sure if they are replacing PIC with something else this year.

A very important factor to consider is also the barista behind the machine, i had spectacularly bad coffee from spectacular machines, likewise the other way round.

The higher end espresso machine provides more options and tools to the barista via manipulating flow or pressure, but in the wrong hands it can get really bad, its takes alot of skill and experience from the operator to get good results from these machines.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Currently only sweet espresso all day long! Been pulling an average of 3 shots per day thru out the course of the day. Once i get my grind and time right, most of the adjustments are made thru the temperature which i feel has the biggest impact on taste.

The only issue is once in a while the blue tooth connection gets finicky, just need to reconnect it.

bluetooth as per design has issues with connection.
My garmin Vivosmart to JBL headphones to Tablet to iphone to Anova all has such issues from time to time. turning BT off and on usually fix the issue.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Currently only sweet espresso all day long! Been pulling an average of 3 shots per day thru out the course of the day. Once i get my grind and time right, most of the adjustments are made thru the temperature which i feel has the biggest impact on taste.

The only issue is once in a while the blue tooth connection gets finicky, just need to reconnect it.

Are u able to temp profile with the DE? I also think the temp has a big impact on the espresso. A declining profile works best for classic dark roast style.
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Are u able to temp profile with the DE? I also think the temp has a big impact on the espresso. A declining profile works best for classic dark roast style.

Yes its able to do temperature profiling, i have been playing with increasing temp profile also, interestingly a increasing temp profile yields better results in terms of taste compared to declining. can search for this sutdy below:

Extraction of espresso coffee by using gradient of temperature. Effect on
physicochemical and sensorial characteristics of espresso
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
A very important factor to consider is also the barista behind the machine, i had spectacularly bad coffee from spectacular machines, likewise the other way round.

The higher end espresso machine provides more options and tools to the barista via manipulating flow or pressure, but in the wrong hands it can get really bad, its takes alot of skill and experience from the operator to get good results from these machines.

Yes, this is true. I was just generalizing my comment after many cafe visits, not only in SG but overseas too. So far Kith and Craftsmen produce the best results, at least in my opinion. I have yet to try CMCR though.
 

d4rkiez

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2017
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
That’s cheap! I reckon it’s indo beans

Just bought these Panama beans 15lb for usd$60
dnbk07.jpg

does this include shipping?
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
I have a santoker r200 on shipment. Where have you been getting your greens?
My friend is a local roaster. So he's been hooking me up. Currently roasting a blend of Colombia inza cacau and Indonesia nangka.

Sent from Xiaomi MI A1 using GAGT
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Wow nice..been aiming the santoker r200. Mind sharing which version you getting..if I am not wrong there are 3 versions..

I have some spare roast Yunnan catimor to give away, from my roasting session last night..self collect from simei. Drop me a pm if interested. But only be able to meetup next Monday onwards.
 

d4rkiez

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2017
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Wow nice..been aiming the santoker r200. Mind sharing which version you getting..if I am not wrong there are 3 versions..

I have some spare roast Yunnan catimor to give away, from my roasting session last night..self collect from simei. Drop me a pm if interested. But only be able to meetup next Monday onwards.

I am getting the mid-range model. Do let me know if you decide to get it! Can probably share some roasting tips specific to r200
 

d4rkiez

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2017
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
not finding the R200 on their website http://www.santoker.com/

on taobao it is a big machine in pic and the weight is like 45kg! not really for home roaster unless big landed home
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=565098990997
TB2bHOwvv5TBuNjSspmXXaDRVXa_!!325200660.jpg

The picture quoted is not the r200. It is 45kg with packaging, so probably 30 odd kg once assembled. Can easily fit on a small table. But it requires a LPG tank.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c-s.w4004-18480487027.6.22ca17192MqPht&id=565098990997
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Yes its able to do temperature profiling, i have been playing with increasing temp profile also, interestingly a increasing temp profile yields better results in terms of taste compared to declining. can search for this sutdy below:

Extraction of espresso coffee by using gradient of temperature. Effect on
physicochemical and sensorial characteristics of espresso

interesting...my experience with dark roast has been quite difference on the cremina (declining temp profile). Its a able to achieve that classic south italian style espresso without any unpleasant bitterness.

Seems the DE is a dream machine for experimenting....i think i'll get one :s22:
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Yes. If you are a tinkerer by heart than the de1+ is like a wet dream. Haha

Scott roa blog just posted a article on getting 25% ext .. tried something similar previous and was getting a mind f moment..lol
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top