(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
DO i need to buy the following stuff for maintenace

1. descalez ( clean tank )
2. grindz ( grinder )
3. cafiza ( backflush )

where can get from sg?

what is your espresso machine again?

grindz not required, I just open up my grinder to clean.
Grindz is for lazy ppl IMHO
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Hi experts. I have been using Nescafé barista for over a year. Since moving house soon, I'm looking for a easy maintenance machine like Nescafé barista. Anyone can recommend a low level machine that's easy to use? I drink cappuccino everyday using fresh milk. Is delonghi ecp33.21 easy to use and suitable for my usage? Budget below 300.

Prefer to use instant coffee like Nescafé gold blend.

Sent from HUAWEI BLA-L29 using GAGT

what do u want to gain from getting a new machine?
delonghi ecp33.21 is easy to maintain, no need to do backflush
if u like to drink instant then using pre ground on such pressurize system is suitable.
buy grinder too much work for u.
steaming coffee just need to wait to generate steam and do it! not like your current system can be troublesome. U also need to clean out grounds which is more work

 
Last edited:

pulp_79sg

Junior Member
Joined
May 25, 2012
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
P.S: just bought a IMS competition 12/18g basket as it was on offer - assume 15g will be the sweet spot..

Not sure why IMS offers up a range for their baskets because 14g or 18g creates a difference in space between the the puck and shower screen, changing extraction rates.

VMS and Pesado on the other hand have specific weights in varying increments.

Marketing or precision?
 
Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80

I thought something out there similar already exist. Indiegogo at times have ppl listing project that is in the market some make changes, some zero changes and upsell for quite a bit and still claim its X% off retail.
for example
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Portable-Espresso-Machine-Rechargeable/

https://www.handpresso.com/en/36-on-the-road
 
Last edited:

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
11,100
Reaction score
1
For nespresso capsule they are probably the first. Handpresso is very messy and unless you want to practise ***. Weoola is on the high side but the hot water function is great.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
For nespresso capsule they are probably the first. Handpresso is very messy and unless you want to practise ***. Weoola is on the high side but the hot water function is great.

What ***? Auto no ***. Messy as in what? ESE messy? It also support nespresso today. It’s cheaper than nespresso compatible and more choices. Old fashion handpresso I own that to say *** lol

Weoola is at usd$100 , ok $20more after it go retail it cost more

For nespresso that is electric it’s first
wacaco nanopresso is usd$60 and small and does nespresso
 
Last edited:

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
11,100
Reaction score
1
What ***? Auto no ***. Messy as in what? ESE messy? It also support nespresso today. It’s cheaper than nespresso compatible and more choices. Old fashion handpresso I own that to say *** lol

Weoola is at usd$100 , ok $20more after it go retail it cost more

For nespresso that is electric it’s first
wacaco nanopresso is usd$60 and small and does nespresso

Sorri sorri thought was the old handpresso. Need to shake 30 times and very messy.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Sorri sorri thought was the old handpresso. Need to shake 30 times and very messy.

old type don't need to shake, just pump like u would pump tires in bicycle. really messy meh not as if brown stuff spill out from pumping. :s13:
click the video b4 jumping the gun leh..

NowPresso also another one which use nespresso and brew to 15bar just cost higher.

it appears alot of nespresso style out there, not really new and innovative.
 

turboo

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2011
Messages
993
Reaction score
9
Hi guys,

Some more questions on espresso brewing:

1. I extract with the exact same parameters every time (20 dots on Helor, 10g bean weight, 23s extraction) but I notice sometimes there is a "water puddle" on the portafilter after extraction. Did some research and it seems to be because of too little powder and I should put more. Why is it that I don't get that puddle sometimes with the same weight then?

2. My parents like to drink weaker coffee. Is it then recommended to let the extraction run longer to reach desired volume (e.g. 100-150ml), or retain same volume (60ml) and add hot water instead? Feel like the former is less of a waste of the beans, even though the latter sounds like the "correct" way of doing things.

3. My tamping is still horrible at this point in time. After emptying the powder from my Helor to the basket, I knock it on both the sides and underneath the basket to even out the powder, and I use a calibrated tamper thereafter to apply even pressure parallel to the powder. Lastly, I gently lift off the tamper to prevent any "suction" from destroying my tamp. However, it is still noticeable that sometimes one side of the spout flows slower than the other. What else should I take note of to get the best tamp? Have watched a dozen youtube videos and still not getting it perfect.

4. As my Gaggia Classic does not have the backflushing function, what else do I need to do to keep it running for many years? I will always run hot water through the wand and shower screen, clean them after each use.

5. Anyone knows of any roasters selling 250/500g beans in the North area? I have tested a few different brands so far and it seems I can't really differentiate among all the beans, so I'll likely go with the lower cost versions.

6. Also keen to know the same for Chinese coffee beans too. If I want to play with chinese kopi and the sock, how fine should I be grinding them on my Helor?
 
Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Hi guys,

Some more questions on espresso brewing:

1. I extract with the exact same parameters every time (20 dots on Helor, 10g bean weight, 23s extraction) but I notice sometimes there is a "water puddle" on the portafilter after extraction. Did some research and it seems to be because of too little powder and I should put more. Why is it that I don't get that puddle sometimes with the same weight then?

2. My parents like to drink weaker coffee. Is it then recommended to let the extraction run longer to reach desired volume (e.g. 100-150ml), or retain same volume (60ml) and add hot water instead? Feel like the former is less of a waste of the beans, even though the latter sounds like the "correct" way of doing things.

3. My tamping is still horrible at this point in time. After emptying the powder from my Helor to the basket, I knock it on both the sides and underneath the basket to even out the powder, and I use a calibrated tamper thereafter to apply even pressure parallel to the powder. Lastly, I gently lift off the tamper to prevent any "suction" from destroying my tamp. However, it is still noticeable that sometimes one side of the spout flows slower than the other. What else should I take note of to get the best tamp? Have watched a dozen youtube videos and still not getting it perfect.

4. As my Gaggia Classic does not have the backflushing function, what else do I need to do to keep it running for many years? I will always run hot water through the wand and shower screen, clean them after each use.

5. Anyone knows of any roasters selling 250/500g beans in the North area? I have tested a few different brands so far and it seems I can't really differentiate among all the beans, so I'll likely go with the lower cost versions.

6. Also keen to know the same for Chinese coffee beans too. If I want to play with chinese kopi and the sock, how fine should I be grinding them on my Helor?

2. Just add water, u not wasting beans

4. Read this https://wiki.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia_Classic/cleaning_and_maintenance
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Hi guys,

Some more questions on espresso brewing:

1. I extract with the exact same parameters every time (20 dots on Helor, 10g bean weight, 23s extraction) but I notice sometimes there is a "water puddle" on the portafilter after extraction. Did some research and it seems to be because of too little powder and I should put more. Why is it that I don't get that puddle sometimes with the same weight then?

2. My parents like to drink weaker coffee. Is it then recommended to let the extraction run longer to reach desired volume (e.g. 100-150ml), or retain same volume (60ml) and add hot water instead? Feel like the former is less of a waste of the beans, even though the latter sounds like the "correct" way of doing things.

3. My tamping is still horrible at this point in time. After emptying the powder from my Helor to the basket, I knock it on both the sides and underneath the basket to even out the powder, and I use a calibrated tamper thereafter to apply even pressure parallel to the powder. Lastly, I gently lift off the tamper to prevent any "suction" from destroying my tamp. However, it is still noticeable that sometimes one side of the spout flows slower than the other. What else should I take note of to get the best tamp? Have watched a dozen youtube videos and still not getting it perfect.

4. As my Gaggia Classic does not have the backflushing function, what else do I need to do to keep it running for many years? I will always run hot water through the wand and shower screen, clean them after each use.

5. Anyone knows of any roasters selling 250/500g beans in the North area? I have tested a few different brands so far and it seems I can't really differentiate among all the beans, so I'll likely go with the lower cost versions.

6. Also keen to know the same for Chinese coffee beans too. If I want to play with chinese kopi and the sock, how fine should I be grinding them on my Helor?

1. Nothing wrong with the water puddle. Whether you need more coffee grounds or not is a matter of what flowrate or concentration you want to achieve.

2. You can do a blind taste test with your parents! Ask them which one they prefer. My preference is to pull a normal shot and add water to make an americano instead of pulling a long shot. But if your parents like long coffees using filter method are usually more versatile. If i want long coffee's i'll just go for a kalita wave.

3. The double spout can't tell you if your distribution and tamping is even. You will need a bottomless portafilter. Also do WDT. it helps to even out alot of errors. The distribution is more important than the actual tamping. For your doublespout, the reason one side flows more than the other is probably because the spout is not even or the table is not level! I won't place too much importance in this when evaluating your technique.

6. Rule of thumb for infusion style coffee, if grind is coarse you need to brew longer. If the grind is fine you need to brew shorter. I'd rather just go with a french press. Don't see much difference between a sock vs a french press except for the mud you get in a french press. Hario makes a sock style brewer if you are interested.
 

turboo

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2011
Messages
993
Reaction score
9
1. Nothing wrong with the water puddle. Whether you need more coffee grounds or not is a matter of what flowrate or concentration you want to achieve.

2. You can do a blind taste test with your parents! Ask them which one they prefer. My preference is to pull a normal shot and add water to make an americano instead of pulling a long shot. But if your parents like long coffees using filter method are usually more versatile. If i want long coffee's i'll just go for a kalita wave.

3. The double spout can't tell you if your distribution and tamping is even. You will need a bottomless portafilter. Also do WDT. it helps to even out alot of errors. The distribution is more important than the actual tamping. For your doublespout, the reason one side flows more than the other is probably because the spout is not even or the table is not level! I won't place too much importance in this when evaluating your technique.

6. Rule of thumb for infusion style coffee, if grind is coarse you need to brew longer. If the grind is fine you need to brew shorter. I'd rather just go with a french press. Don't see much difference between a sock vs a french press except for the mud you get in a french press. Hario makes a sock style brewer if you are interested.

3. Yup, I use a funnel, and subsequently a toothpick to distribute the grounds. I have an issue though.

At 19 dots on my grinder, it produces 60ml with 14g in 25s. Way too fast.
From 18 dots onwards, either the coffee drips out together with some pure water, or it totally chokes. What should I do to progress finer then? The brew ratio should be towards 1:2 yes?

6. Ah, so no taste difference between French Press vs Sock? How long should the infusion time be for kopitiam style kopi?
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Try not to use 10g of coffee, what is your basket size? start with 15g of coffee grinds instead
 

turboo

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2011
Messages
993
Reaction score
9
Try not to use 10g of coffee, what is your basket size? start with 15g of coffee grinds instead

it's the stock Gaggia double basket, which I presume is 15g. From 14g onwards, it already hits the shower screen though.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,968
Reaction score
171
Anyone uses smart plug for your machine? If yes what brand do you recommend? I have shortlisted TP Link only.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top