(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Last edited:

mnb

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2003
Messages
152
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone, I have been a Nespresso drinker for long time and like to try moving towards a espresso machine.

Looking at a machine ~ $500, is a DeLonghi Dedica Style EC a good start for beginners? Appreciate any input, thanks!
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Hi everyone, I have been a Nespresso drinker for long time and like to try moving towards a espresso machine.

Looking at a machine ~ $500, is a DeLonghi Dedica Style EC a good start for beginners? Appreciate any input, thanks!

What’s your budget? You need a grinder.what budget for each?

how many shots u drink each time?
 

mnb

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2003
Messages
152
Reaction score
0
What’s your budget? You need a grinder.what budget for each?

how many shots u drink each time?

~ $500 for espresso machine. I intend to start off buying ground coffee beans then progressively move up to a burr grinder. Budget for the latter is about $100.

I drink 2 shots a day.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
~ $500 for espresso machine. I intend to start off buying ground coffee beans then progressively move up to a burr grinder. Budget for the latter is about $100.

I drink 2 shots a day.

if you buying ground coffee not pt upgrading IMHO.
Just save up for a ok hand grinder such as Hario Skerton or Porlex Mini


or u can try use grinder maybe ~$350 or under for such
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/for-sale-espresso-grinder-bezzera-bb05.6491973/
Freq upgrade can be expensive long run.
If u can find a used dedica for $200+ go try.
https://www.carousell.sg/p/pump-esp...690668&t-referrer_request_id=qi_FKt5DqNY9hf9x
https://www.carousell.sg/p/de’longhi-dedica-style-coffee-machine-1076142221/?t-id=A1szRie5Da_1618755690668&t-referrer_request_id=rzRWgXfNU6tBfRky

$500 I would up my game for a cheap lever. U get so much more in return. I’m face used market here ~$600
https://www.carousell.sg/p/la-pavoni-europiccola-upgraded-31384791/
 
Last edited:

ksapple

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
27,438
Reaction score
4,874
Hi everyone, I have been a Nespresso drinker for long time and like to try moving towards a espresso machine.

Looking at a machine ~ $500, is a DeLonghi Dedica Style EC a good start for beginners? Appreciate any input, thanks!

I using Dedica 2017 (mod rancillio steam wand) pair with Niche, buay pai. I drink espresso me waifu drink latte

U get dedica, it comes with pressurize basket, grind size don't matter when using tat, i start out just using a Bodum Grinder. Their espresso fine enuff for pressurize basket. Dedica Grinder is useless, it just looks nice only

After u get a good grinder, e.g. Brataza Encore or a good hand grinder, u can try unpressurize basket lor, that is when the fun begins.

TBH i will suggest Breville Barista Express. comes with all the thing u need, from pressurize basket to unpressurize and also a gd start out grinder.
 

coffinbay

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
look at the decent it’s gives you many stuff to play with.

old fashion la pavonia not that expensive maybe same your breville but no grinder. They are generally more lasting too


these guys finally coming out with HG-2. Niche is a great grinder loved by
Let me lay my hands on the niche first. Supply is soooo scarce.

Aesthetics places an important part, the decent is too "modern" for me though its functionality is outstanding. I am more into the bianca, profitec 700, synchronika, appartamento kinda looks.
 

coffinbay

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Question on water ionizers such as ruhens or novita. I know sg water is relatively soft but will using water from these purifiers cum ionizers do any harm, have no effect or will it be beneficial to espresso machines, esp DB, in terms of developing limescale?
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Hi everyone, I have been a Nespresso drinker for long time and like to try moving towards a espresso machine.

Looking at a machine ~ $500, is a DeLonghi Dedica Style EC a good start for beginners? Appreciate any input, thanks!


Quite tight. As patryn mentioned, need a good grinder too with good beans. otherwise not much of an upgrade.

Do you drink milk drinks and need steamer?

If not i recommend Flair (not the Neo version) and 1zpresso jx or jx pro. Need some work but if you are patient and not in a rush it will work very well.

You can get very decent espresso with the flair. I still use the flair along with my other machines. It just needs a bit of work.

If you intend to make milk drinks then i'll recommend a single boiler Rancilio Silvia but need to save quite a bit more. It is a rocky solid machine compared to many other "entry level" machine at the price. 58mm portafiler. Relatively power steam.

If not can consider more consumer grade type like breville bambino. about 800 plus i think.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
~ $500 for espresso machine. I intend to start off buying ground coffee beans then progressively move up to a burr grinder. Budget for the latter is about $100.

I drink 2 shots a day.
I had a Dedica years ago and given a choice, I would rather go a step up to Breville or perhaps a second hand Lelit, Bezzera, Rocket, and other known entry-level machines. You also need a good grinder and Bezzera BB005 is a good choice imho.
 

cydutzyahoo

Master Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
4,704
Reaction score
33
Hi Gurus,
want to ask question if I want to buy new manual hand grinder that can grind faster than what I currently owned, how to find out? sometimes I read hand grinder review, they say some model can grind faster given the same rotation. any advice? possibly looking sub 100
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
Hi Gurus,
want to ask question if I want to buy new manual hand grinder that can grind faster than what I currently owned, how to find out? sometimes I read hand grinder review, they say some model can grind faster given the same rotation. any advice? possibly looking sub 100

Best hand grinder i have is hario skelton which is also highly reviewed. But even with this, some beans are much easier to grind than others. Generally darker roast, especially those hainanese coffee beans are tough.
 

linusz

Master Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2001
Messages
3,034
Reaction score
107
8👈啊1ZimX2f2vKA, https://m.tb.cn/h.4pbg9fL?sm=893e90 商用电动磨豆机咖啡豆意式研磨机即出磨盘式家用直出粉磨豆机019

Bought this from taobao around 90 sgd. Anyone using? Using dedica and changed to non pressurized portafilter. At least no splashing now. Used a paper clip to loosen the ground then leveler then tamp

Should I push the grind to the finest and do lighter tamp? Or keep to current which has a bit of crema. It was finer a bit but tasted bitter
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
8👈啊1ZimX2f2vKA, https://m.tb.cn/h.4pbg9fL?sm=893e90 商用电动磨豆机咖啡豆意式研磨机即出磨盘式家用直出粉磨豆机019

Bought this from taobao around 90 sgd. Anyone using? Using dedica and changed to non pressurized portafilter. At least no splashing now. Used a paper clip to loosen the ground then leveler then tamp

Should I push the grind to the finest and do lighter tamp? Or keep to current which has a bit of crema. It was finer a bit but tasted bitter

Go which what tastes the best. I find grinding finer May not always taste better. Can end up tasting very harsh.
And of course always get good beans.
 

cydutzyahoo

Master Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
4,704
Reaction score
33
can anybody explain the main difference between cheap electric burr grinder and expensive / very expensive electric burr grinder if they are using the same type of burr? (conical vs conical or flat vs flat)

purely asking in terms of grind result, not talking about the machine built or fine tune capability
 

Eidekos

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2013
Messages
1,013
Reaction score
1
My rocket from espresso coffee shop. Ask them to give you UK plug.
hi im looking to buy a rocket apartamento from espresso coffee sho. cost around 1225 euros with shipping to SG. So plus GST & distribution fee when itll arrived? so around 2.1K sgd in total?

Saw from PPP coffee its 2399. Anyone knows where to get it locally lower
 

SNAG

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,886
Reaction score
112
hi im looking to buy a rocket apartamento from espresso coffee sho. cost around 1225 euros with shipping to SG. So plus GST & distribution fee when itll arrived? so around 2.1K sgd in total?

Saw from PPP coffee its 2399. Anyone knows where to get it locally lower
For a $300 difference, I would pay to buy local. Rocket machines are typically reliable but going local gives you piece of mind.
 

Eidekos

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2013
Messages
1,013
Reaction score
1
hi im looking to buy a rocket apartamento from espresso coffee sho. cost around 1225 euros with shipping to SG. So plus GST & distribution fee when itll arrived? so around 2.1K sgd in total?

Saw from PPP coffee its 2399. Anyone knows where to get it locally lower
Thanks

i saw a lelit maraX as well for 1999 now. thinking about it. btw this will be my 1st machine, thinking if i go breville route 1st or get a prosumer like marax, bz10 or apartamento.
 

cydutzyahoo

Master Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
4,704
Reaction score
33
Just want to share recently received my Timemore C2 hand grinder
I have nothing but praised in terms of build quality, grinding speed, grind result
two thumbs up
 

pvdwerff1971@gmail.com

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2020
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Thanks

i saw a lelit maraX as well for 1999 now. thinking about it. btw this will be my 1st machine, thinking if i go breville route 1st or get a prosumer like marax, bz10 or apartamento.
I recently bought a Bezzera Magika and am very happy with it. One of the most basic machines but gets the job done. Saw Lelite machines too, but found the build quality of the housing a bit disappointing and quite small.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top