(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Morzenti

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2019
Messages
231
Reaction score
17
Last month, my friend's Rocket Apartamento had been working strangely. From the sound of it, I reckon it has something to do with the grouphead.
I had a look and dismantled the grouphead, only to notice that the grouphead mushroom located on top of the grouphead had snapped off. Removal of the broken mushroom wasn't easy.

This seems to be a common problem on Rocket machines. Poor design.
https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/38...rocket-r58-v2-mushroom-base-of-e61-brew-head/https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/55798-cracked-mushroom-replacement/
Going to sell off mine for something else.
 

pvdwerff1971@gmail.com

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2020
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Yea i watched this previously, was thinking if anyone has any user experience with the machines to share😅
I’m very happy with my Bezzera Magika, non pid version. Basic machine, but does the job well and well built.
Was initially considering Profitec pro 500, but after reading multiple reports about temperature issues on that machine, I think it’s not worth the price compared to the Magika. Bezzera also locally available in Singapore.
 

AHZAII

Master Member
Joined
May 12, 2010
Messages
3,640
Reaction score
0
I’m very happy with my Bezzera Magika, non pid version. Basic machine, but does the job well and well built.
Was initially considering Profitec pro 500, but after reading multiple reports about temperature issues on that machine, I think it’s not worth the price compared to the Magika. Bezzera also locally available in Singapore.
Ahhh alright, will research on it :) thanks!
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,470
Reaction score
438
Last month, my friend's Rocket Apartamento had been working strangely. From the sound of it, I reckon it has something to do with the grouphead.
I had a look and dismantled the grouphead, only to notice that the grouphead mushroom located on top of the grouphead had snapped off. Removal of the broken mushroom wasn't easy.

This seems to be a common problem on Rocket machines. Poor design.
https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/38...rocket-r58-v2-mushroom-base-of-e61-brew-head/https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/55798-cracked-mushroom-replacement/
Going to sell off mine for something else.
This is rather surprising. First time hearing this (could be due to Rocket's great marketing masking this). How old was your friend's machine?
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,470
Reaction score
438
Interesting! I'll order a bundle to try out. Currently on my last pack of Arcaffe Margo. Just finished Cultivar's Signature Blend (locally roasted) which is not too bad but not that great either. Somehow the beans can't stand humidity and taste disappears a bit after a day. Apache is much better but more expensive too.
Had your order arrived? Just opened the DULDAMIRO (DARK CHOCOLATE · MEDIUM BODY).. taste closer to our usual offerings. For the previous dark dark blends, I suggest let them rest a while after opening (for a week) or just drink them consistently and you'll notice the change, seems to reduce the dark elements as times goes by.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
Had your order arrived? Just opened the DULDAMIRO (DARK CHOCOLATE · MEDIUM BODY).. taste closer to our usual offerings. For the previous dark dark blends, I suggest let them rest a while after opening (for a week) or just drink them consistently and you'll notice the change, seems to reduce the dark elements as times goes by.
Mine just arrived last week but haven't opened yet. All containers occupied by Margo beans right now.

Friend nudged me on L'Or coffee beans that you can buy off the shelf at cold storage. Few weeks ago they were running a promotion to get a free Hario container with every 500g bag purchase. Well there's a reason for it as the taste is quite bland. The container is more valuable imo.
 

AHZAII

Master Member
Joined
May 12, 2010
Messages
3,640
Reaction score
0
Niche Zero opened for order yesterday 6pm and its UK models sold out alr:eek:...damn fastz
 

nubbyyy

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2020
Messages
36
Reaction score
2
Interesting! I'll order a bundle to try out. Currently on my last pack of Arcaffe Margo. Just finished Cultivar's Signature Blend (locally roasted) which is not too bad but not that great either. Somehow the beans can't stand humidity and taste disappears a bit after a day. Apache is much better but more expensive too.
What price range would you consider reasonable for 250g? To me Apache $12 is great value and I don't feel I compromise on the quality. Recently tried Bright Coffee Company's Peru beans and love it too, balanced shots in milk drinks (not too bitter or acidic)

The cheaper ones I've tried (Paksong, Jiaxin) at <$10 were just disappointing and I only use them for cold brew for my sis who can't tell the difference :p
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
What price range would you consider reasonable for 250g? To me Apache $12 is great value and I don't feel I compromise on the quality. Recently tried Bright Coffee Company's Peru beans and love it too, balanced shots in milk drinks (not too bitter or acidic)

The cheaper ones I've tried (Paksong, Jiaxin) at <$10 were just disappointing and I only use them for cold brew for my sis who can't tell the difference :p
In terms of quality to price ratio, only the beans at FCC (https://www.finecoffeecompany.com/coffee-beans-singapore/) comes to mind. For Paksong, only their Laos or forest blends are recommended. Stong and full-bodied. The rest tastes quite bland.

I got my Apache at $13 but if they priced it below $10, it's more worth it. Or at least <$40 for 1kg.

Another beans that I forgot is from Irian Jaya. Earthy, slightly acidic and cholocatey aftertaste. Bought at the coffee expo years ago and can't remember the brand. They are mostly B2B so we can't get it elsewhere.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
Had your order arrived? Just opened the DULDAMIRO (DARK CHOCOLATE · MEDIUM BODY).. taste closer to our usual offerings. For the previous dark dark blends, I suggest let them rest a while after opening (for a week) or just drink them consistently and you'll notice the change, seems to reduce the dark elements as times goes by.
I am trying their Andamiro now. Very good and matches their description exactly. Great for cortado lovers. Perhaps percentage of robusta is higher than my usual beans. About 60% of my shot is crema.

You can feel the deep flavor and heavy body of grains, It is a coffee bean that is properly harmonized with the bitter taste of coffee. -Brazil NY2 FC 17/18 Mogiana -Tanzania AAA FAQ -India Robusta A Kaapi Royale

Update: I might be wrong but the lingering aftertaste reminds me of Apache.
 
Last edited:

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,470
Reaction score
438
I am trying their Andamiro now. Very good and matches their description exactly. Great for cortado lovers. Perhaps percentage of robusta is higher than my usual beans. About 60% of my shot is crema.

You can feel the deep flavor and heavy body of grains, It is a coffee bean that is properly harmonized with the bitter taste of coffee. -Brazil NY2 FC 17/18 Mogiana -Tanzania AAA FAQ -India Robusta A Kaapi Royale

Update: I might be wrong but the lingering aftertaste reminds me of Apache.
I just open up the last bag to try (to cover all of them ASAP), like you said their description is on point. One observation the beans are oily AF o_Oo_O.

I think these few bags help defines what roast level you really like deep down. The dark ones are really in your face but I think tad too much on it's own, their dark roast would best use as a base for afogato or complimenting desserts.

The last bag I just opened, Simaburo works extremely extremely well with cold milk.

Overall quite surprised with this collection. Was expecting disappointment but turns out it's a ride of a journey.
 

pvdwerff1971@gmail.com

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2020
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Brew pressure of my Bezzera Magika is factory set to 13bar, which I think is on the high side. Other people with bezzera have same high pressure and if so, did you reduce it?
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
I just open up the last bag to try (to cover all of them ASAP), like you said their description is on point. One observation the beans are oily AF o_Oo_O.

I think these few bags help defines what roast level you really like deep down. The dark ones are really in your face but I think tad too much on it's own, their dark roast would best use as a base for afogato or complimenting desserts.

The last bag I just opened, Simaburo works extremely extremely well with cold milk.

Overall quite surprised with this collection. Was expecting disappointment but turns out it's a ride of a journey.
Which one is your favorite? Just realised their Andamiro is medium-roast which is pretty dark to me. This morning the whiff reminds me a bit of hainanese coffee. Grind settings need to adjust to finer even after a day old. Still early to say but the taste profile is still there unlike some paksong beans.
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,470
Reaction score
438
Which one is your favorite? Just realised their Andamiro is medium-roast which is pretty dark to me. This morning the whiff reminds me a bit of hainanese coffee. Grind settings need to adjust to finer even after a day old. Still early to say but the taste profile is still there unlike some paksong beans.
Andamiro, and the Simaburo feels more familiar. I can say all of them is darker than usual from the shiny oily beans observation. And I also realise their beans doesn't stale/change much even after opening them for a long time. All of them are good for what they are, no unpleasant taste, just unique.
 

nubbyyy

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2020
Messages
36
Reaction score
2
Hello all,

Do you have any recommendations on which tool set to use for removing the mushroom head/fittings and to lubricate the E61 group? Are there any which will not scratch the chrome finish?
 
Joined
Apr 19, 2018
Messages
491
Reaction score
43
I just open up the last bag to try (to cover all of them ASAP), like you said their description is on point. One observation the beans are oily AF o_Oo_O.

I think these few bags help defines what roast level you really like deep down. The dark ones are really in your face but I think tad too much on it's own, their dark roast would best use as a base for afogato or complimenting desserts.

The last bag I just opened, Simaburo works extremely extremely well with cold milk.

Overall quite surprised with this collection. Was expecting disappointment but turns out it's a ride of a journey.
I bought a pack of Apache from Six Four coffee. Not sure if it's the one you guys are talking about. But the coffee looks dark roasted even when the bag writes medium roasted.

And when I brew with my moka pot, it tastes very bitter. Almost can fight with kopitiam kopi. I need to try grind it coarser compared to other beans.
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,470
Reaction score
438
I bought a pack of Apache from Six Four coffee. Not sure if it's the one you guys are talking about. But the coffee looks dark roasted even when the bag writes medium roasted.

And when I brew with my moka pot, it tastes very bitter. Almost can fight with kopitiam kopi. I need to try grind it coarser compared to other beans.
Yes it's the one we kind of term it one of the best as reference staple coffee. A very good all rounder.

Tbh.. moka pot no matter what method I try, it all taste bitter. Methods like using hot water in reservoir so minimal actual heat on grind and bring off stove at first drip to cool under water/damp towel. Different grind size.. e.t.c.

It always give the dark bitterness, and slightly siap siap feel overall.

I think the next 'upgrade' from moka is the universal machine that you can put coffee grind or capsules (Nespresso or dolce size, they have different adaptor for different function) . My dad uses it instead of the moka now. Easier to clean too.
 
Joined
Apr 19, 2018
Messages
491
Reaction score
43
Yes it's the one we kind of term it one of the best as reference staple coffee. A very good all rounder.

Tbh.. moka pot no matter what method I try, it all taste bitter. Methods like using hot water in reservoir so minimal actual heat on grind and bring off stove at first drip to cool under water/damp towel. Different grind size.. e.t.c.

It always give the dark bitterness, and slightly siap siap feel overall.

I think the next 'upgrade' from moka is the universal machine that you can put coffee grind or capsules (Nespresso or dolce size, they have different adaptor for different function) . My dad uses it instead of the moka now. Easier to clean too.
I use Tiong Hoe bean and it taste very close to latte from cafe machine.
Maybe you can try lowering the heat. I always let the coffee flow out slowly instead of spurting out. If it keeps spurting out, the coffee will taste bitter and bad.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
I bought a pack of Apache from Six Four coffee. Not sure if it's the one you guys are talking about. But the coffee looks dark roasted even when the bag writes medium roasted.

And when I brew with my moka pot, it tastes very bitter. Almost can fight with kopitiam kopi. I need to try grind it coarser compared to other beans.
Moka pot is difficult to control. It doesn't bring out the best in your beans imo. Maybe try drip instead if you dont have an espresso machine. I use moka pot for the traditional hainanese beans only.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top