(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 27, 2008
Messages
11,601
Reaction score
1,016
Impulse purchase espresso machine hoot arrived:





I think I’m done with espresso equipment upgrades for a while.
 

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 27, 2008
Messages
11,601
Reaction score
1,016
Grinder arrived:





Grinding speed is crazy fast with 75mm burrs. Goes through 20 grams of beans in like 2 seconds.
 

zyklon86

Banned
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
5,598
Reaction score
3,828
Any single boiler PID espresso machine to recommend? Something like Bezzera Unica or ECM classika?

I don't make milk based stuff.
 

CrazyBlue

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
761
Reaction score
5
Just got a bambino plus and coming jx-pro grinder for milk drinks only.

How's the water hardness / quality from the tap in Singapore ah? I have a piped 4 stage alkaline water filter but I don't know what's the output..safe to use?

Don't know which kit available in shopee or lazada can cheaply test for the water. So many options and they seem to test for aquarium stuff..?
 

continuum

Senior Member
Joined
May 21, 2011
Messages
806
Reaction score
13
I'm going to Australia soon and I'm looking for a weight-based grinder. It looks like the Baratza 270wi is only about $600 over there. Is it worth getting? Or am I running a relatively high risk of the motor failing?
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
170
Impulse purchase espresso machine hoot arrived:





I think I’m done with espresso equipment upgrades for a while.
How much did you get it for? Any other contenders before you finalize on this one? I can only think of Slayer
 

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 27, 2008
Messages
11,601
Reaction score
1,016
How much did you get it for? Any other contenders before you finalize on this one? I can only think of Slayer
Got it for 5k usd 2nd hand. I was thinking about a new eagle one prima as well, actually would have got it if I didn’t happen to see someone selling the gs3 m/p. Price around the same, but gs3 is more classic and I figured if I ever want to sell it again will be able to sell for even higher than what I bought for.
 

potato13

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
1,285
Reaction score
1,280
Hello all Shifu/Gurus here.

Still a beginner in the world of espresso.
My usual in the past 20+ years are all KOPI -O and Kopi -C.. Home Socks brew.
After a few years of starbuck.. wanna get into my home own setup.

Started out using delonghi dedica for a year and recently upgraded to breville dual boiler.
I also had a baratza sette 30 grinder which work pretty decent for my delonghi.
But after upgrading to breville, i cant find the sweet spot of the grind size.

My usually brew will be latte, espresso, long black.
2 cup max, 1 for me and 1 for my TaoKay Soh (Lady boss)
i always weight my bean before grind (single dose) even on the sette 30.

Im toying the idea of mod in the sette 270 series adjustment assembly to get more grind setting or should i just upgrade the whole grinder (niche Zero).

Any input or recommend>
 
Last edited:

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 27, 2008
Messages
11,601
Reaction score
1,016
Hello all Shifu/Gurus here.

Still a beginner in the world of espresso.
My usual in the past 20+ years are all KOPI -O and Kopi -C.. Home Socks brew.
After a few years of starbuck.. wanna get into my home own setup.

Started out using delonghi dedica for a year and recently upgraded to breville dual boiler.
I also had a baratza sette 30 grinder which work pretty decent for my delonghi.
But after upgrading to breville, i cant find the sweet spot of the grind size.

My usually brew will be latte, espresso, long black.
2 cup max, 1 for me and 1 for my TaoKay Soh (Lady boss)
i always weight my bean before grind (single dose) even on the sette 30.

Im toying the idea of mod in the sette 270 series adjustment assembly to get more grind setting or should i just upgrade the whole grinder (niche Zero).

Any input or recommend>
Depends on your budget. If have budget just upgrade. For me I use my atom 75 for single dose as well and retention isn’t really an issue. I prefer the flat grind quality better vs a conical grinder.
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
Hello all Shifu/Gurus here.

Still a beginner in the world of espresso.
My usual in the past 20+ years are all KOPI -O and Kopi -C.. Home Socks brew.
After a few years of starbuck.. wanna get into my home own setup.

Started out using delonghi dedica for a year and recently upgraded to breville dual boiler.
I also had a baratza sette 30 grinder which work pretty decent for my delonghi.
But after upgrading to breville, i cant find the sweet spot of the grind size.

My usually brew will be latte, espresso, long black.
2 cup max, 1 for me and 1 for my TaoKay Soh (Lady boss)
i always weight my bean before grind (single dose) even on the sette 30.

Im toying the idea of mod in the sette 270 series adjustment assembly to get more grind setting or should i just upgrade the whole grinder (niche Zero).

Any input or recommend>
I don't think its the grinder. Pretty sure this grinder capable enough.

Coffee beans especially when you leave it out in the hopper sure will oxidise and change, will affect one, just not too much variance can liao. Usually what I do is not put too much beans in the hopper. I'm too lazy to do single dose daily, I prefer hopper too.
 

potato13

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
1,285
Reaction score
1,280
Depends on your budget. If have budget just upgrade. For me I use my atom 75 for single dose as well and retention isn’t really an issue. I prefer the flat grind quality better vs a conical grinder.
Budget wise should be below 1k for a new.
but if there is something i could do for current grinder, i could save the 1k for others.
Therefor seeking advise if any guru used before baratza sette 30 and done upgrade to the 270 series adjustment assembly .
 

potato13

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
1,285
Reaction score
1,280
I don't think its the grinder. Pretty sure this grinder capable enough.

Coffee beans especially when you leave it out in the hopper sure will oxidise and change, will affect one, just not too much variance can liao. Usually what I do is not put too much beans in the hopper. I'm too lazy to do single dose daily, I prefer hopper too.
I dont leave my beans in the hopper. i kept them in air tight container.
Usually i weight my beans say 18g and pour in the hopper to grind..

Im trying to get a 1:2 ratio at 25-28sec

what Im getting now is
Grind setting 11
1:2 ratio at 31-35sec
Taste slight bitter

or
grind setting 10
1:2 ratio at 21-24sec
Taste slight sour

I read that the sette 30 upgrade with 270 adjustment can get more precise grind setting.
So seeking if any guru done that and comment.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
170
Any good beans to recommend? Trying PPP Throwback. First few days good but after 2-3 days in the hopper, need to re-adjust grind settings. Somehow the beans absorb more humidity compared to my usual medium roast.
 

CrazyBlue

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
761
Reaction score
5
Anyone knows how the DF64 with SSP HU burrs will compare with the Niche? For latte / cuppacino drinker.

like almost everyone says the Niche produces a lot of body which is good for milk drinks (more than the stock burr), while the MP burr is high clarify and very little body - so not so suitable for milk drinks. HU Burrs leh?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top