(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Look-into-me

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2011
Messages
37,587
Reaction score
78
Just wondering if anyone managed to make cafe lattr art using an electronic milk frother like the ones that can be purchased from coffee bean & tea leaf?
 

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2000
Messages
12,966
Reaction score
20
Just wondering if anyone managed to make cafe lattr art using an electronic milk frother like the ones that can be purchased from coffee bean & tea leaf?
You can't, the froth is different.

Cappuccino's foam is like cream, and the latte's bubbles are very big.

Base on Aeroccino from Nespresso, which runs on the same concept.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Maybe getting a used Nuova Simonelli MDF, hope it goes well.
 
Last edited:

slipperdan

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gaggia Classic issue in Singapore

Hi everyone! I like my coffee, but not nearly enough that I learn all the little tricks beyond what gets me a good coffee (So I know the procedures, but not the science).

To cut to the chase, I got my Gaggia Classic in London and have used it there for 2 years. I shipped the machine and my grinder (Porlex tall manual-grinder) and just tried to make an espresso using beans from my local store (Y'know, those $28/kg beans that are stored in a big tin can, machiam biscuits). I prep, grind, tamp etc the same way I do in London, but somehow I get a 10second shot (after a 2-second lead time, ~20ml comes out in the first 3-4seconds, striping after about another 3-4.. so I get a double/triple in like 10s). I've tried going finer, to a 2-click setting (which is turkish coffee), and it produces the same results. Haven't tried 1-click (the finest possible) but given 2 and 3 both produce ~10s shots this doesn't seem hopeful.

I suspect its either that the beans I get are not appropriate, or maybe its the water? In UK their water is hard (lots of calcium and other nonsense) even after filtering.

Any ideas on what's going on would be great. I'll probably go hunt for some proper beans and try in the meantime. Otherwise..at least it produces a cheap good kopi-o gosong. =D
 

qwe7410

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
0
Those in tin one oxidised already, they are not properly sealed. Once oxidised, the crema and texture will be lesser.

You can probably still use it but need to grind finer or increase dosage.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Hi everyone! I like my coffee, but not nearly enough that I learn all the little tricks beyond what gets me a good coffee (So I know the procedures, but not the science).

To cut to the chase, I got my Gaggia Classic in London and have used it there for 2 years. I shipped the machine and my grinder (Porlex tall manual-grinder) and just tried to make an espresso using beans from my local store (Y'know, those $28/kg beans that are stored in a big tin can, machiam biscuits). I prep, grind, tamp etc the same way I do in London, but somehow I get a 10second shot (after a 2-second lead time, ~20ml comes out in the first 3-4seconds, striping after about another 3-4.. so I get a double/triple in like 10s). I've tried going finer, to a 2-click setting (which is turkish coffee), and it produces the same results. Haven't tried 1-click (the finest possible) but given 2 and 3 both produce ~10s shots this doesn't seem hopeful.

I suspect its either that the beans I get are not appropriate, or maybe its the water? In UK their water is hard (lots of calcium and other nonsense) even after filtering.

Any ideas on what's going on would be great. I'll probably go hunt for some proper beans and try in the meantime. Otherwise..at least it produces a cheap good kopi-o gosong. =D

I won't recommend the porlex for espresso, decent as it is for travel grinder for v60. I have a porlex and the grind particles are too inconsistent. Too many fines and boulders and difficult to get a setting that works for espresso grind. Get a better grinder (Hand grinder - Lido 2, Portaspresso, HG One, Pharos or motorised one - lelit, rocky, Compak k3, Mazzer mini etc ). I really recommend the HG one. very easy to set the correct grind for espresso. very easy to switch grind setting back and forth too between different blends due to the micro steps.

I guess the beans are not fresh too. Are you still based in london? Get Squaremile stuff. James Hoffman and Anette Moldvaer are co-owners and are legendary in the coffee world. Anette Moldvaer is a roaster of sublime skill.

Square Mile Coffee Roasters
8 Pritchards Road
London E2 9AP

I think singapore water is fine, I might try installing a 3m filter to see how it goes but doubt my fat tongue can tell any difference.

Try to target for brew weight instead of volume. brew ratio between 1.5-2 (eg. for 15g of coffee grinds u should get 22.5g-30g of espresso). So i guess you need a weighing scale accurate to 0.1grams. Nylon coffee is selling some cheap ones. Why should not use volume? Because the crema affects the volumes and after 1min a 30ml shot can end up becoming a 25ml shot when the crema settles. different coffee age produces different volume of crema too.

If you are based in Singapore now, try Strangers reunion chakra blend. The recent iteration is good, Very perfumey, lighter roast style. My guess is they use ethiopians in the blend but i could be wrong.
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,275
Reaction score
209
hi I ma new here and recently i was seriously considering getting a semi-pro expreso machine for the home.
Just an entry-level one.

I have tried too long on Nepressos, ** and SB long blacks and Americanos and concluded that maybe they were telling me to the next level, to be polite.
I drank their cafe for the sake of drinking but not appreciating.

I do have a piccolo on some days though at some other places
Was looking at unwanted MOs and Bezzera and Expobar and shortlisted the affordable say Expobar LEVA EB61 and Bezzera BZ09. They seem to fit my budget ....excluding the grinder though

Need your advice if my requirements are siutable for the above mode and wat their pros and cons are.
My daily intake is 2 grande cup size.

Appreciate gurus here to guide noob here, TIA
 

qwe7410

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
0
I tried Expobar Pulsar, to be honest, it's good enough.
Heat exchanger, meaning you can froth and brew at the same time.

If you are mainly a coffee black person, BZ09 is good too.
Either combination of BZ09 or Pulsar should be below $1900.

I was deciding between EB61 and BZ10 but got the BZ10 in the end because it's faster in start up and repeating shots.

Anyway i received this in my email
16LgdGj.png


Who wants and want to treat me to a bag of beans
Let me know :D


Offer ends 021114
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top