Guangzhou/Shenzhen

TLCTLC88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2015
Messages
11,487
Reaction score
2,702
HI, TS can tompang your thread? Am traveling alone to GZ & SZ last week Jan. Its been 10 years since i was in China. So i am blurr like sotong. My Chinese is 1/10. So...

My purpose is to. Please recommend. NO need michelin star
1) Eat (Roast Goose and timsum) - Pse recommend
2) Massage/Tuina - Pse rcommend
3) Chill

Is roaming mobile data line enough? No need voice right? the Didi driver wont need to call me right?

No return date yet...
I just came back from GZ and Foshan (5 days trip).

1) For roasted goose, can go Xi Hua food street. There are plenty of food options there and i went there twice. Also had roasted goose in Foshan, near the food street behind A11 mall (opposite 佛山新天地). For dim sum, can eat at 蔡澜点心. I also had dim sum at 地都得 in GZ but find it too bland. Maybe 陶陶聚 is better but i didn't have the chance.

Can't help on 2 and 3.
 

Bigbird00

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
1,024
Reaction score
119
I just came back from GZ and Foshan (5 days trip).

1) For roasted goose, can go Xi Hua food street. There are plenty of food options there and i went there twice. Also had roasted goose in Foshan, near the food street behind A11 mall (opposite 佛山新天地). For dim sum, can eat at 蔡澜点心. I also had dim sum at 地都得 in GZ but find it too bland. Maybe 陶陶聚 is better but i didn't have the chance.

Can't help on 2 and 3.

Wah... Thanks for the tips.

What did u do in Foshan for 5 days?

I am just going to SZ & GZ for food primary. Wanted to include Macao & Zhuhai but don't what to do there. No idea what else to do.

Is GZ cold now?
 

TLCTLC88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2015
Messages
11,487
Reaction score
2,702
Wah... Thanks for the tips.

What did u do in Foshan for 5 days?

I am just going to SZ & GZ for food primary. Wanted to include Macao & Zhuhai but don't what to do there. No idea what else to do.

Is GZ cold now?
Was in Foshan for 3 days, wed to sat, then off to GZ for the weekends. Hubby went there to work and i tag along. Visited 黄飞鸿 museum, 飞鸿food street (didn't eat there) , 新天地 (very trendy place, lots of restaurants too), shopping malls etc when I was on my own. All are near our hotel. Didn't have the chance to go 顺德.

Foshan was slightly colder than GZ. When I left GZ last Sunday, i was only wearing a light sweater, it was about 21 degree in the afternoon.

I only went SZ and macau (from HK) for day trips but that was in 2017. Nothing much there in SZ, just a eating trip and food was so so, HK and macau food were definitely better. 5 Days just for food in GZ is not even enough. Too many things to eat beside proper meals. I didn't even have the stomach space for wanton mee, 陶陶聚, xinjiang cuisine, claypot dishes, various desserts and snacks and many more. Need to make another trip.
 

Bigbird00

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
1,024
Reaction score
119
Was in Foshan for 3 days, wed to sat, then off to GZ for the weekends. Hubby went there to work and i tag along. Visited 黄飞鸿 museum, 飞鸿food street (didn't eat there) , 新天地 (very trendy place, lots of restaurants too), shopping malls etc when I was on my own. All are near our hotel. Didn't have the chance to go 顺德.

Foshan was slightly colder than GZ. When I left GZ last Sunday, i was only wearing a light sweater, it was about 21 degree in the afternoon.

I only went SZ and macau (from HK) for day trips but that was in 2017. Nothing much there in SZ, just a eating trip and food was so so, HK and macau food were definitely better. 5 Days just for food in GZ is not even enough. Too many things to eat beside proper meals. I didn't even have the stomach space for wanton mee, 陶陶聚, xinjiang cuisine, claypot dishes, various desserts and snacks and many more. Need to make another trip.

Wahh... Looks like u had a great time.

I never been to GZ and will be travel alone, so my consumption varieties will be limited. But.i miss Roast goose and some canton dishes. Just hoping to enjoy my favorite food there and some massage.

I have been to Macau day trip from HK. I dont gamble and i dont miss Macau food except for egg tarts.

I was thinking of doing Macau-> Zhuhai -> Dongmen (Been there for R&R, Good old days) -> GZ -> SZ (Use to go SZ for weekend wheni HK). -> HK (Eat Eat Eat). But now my plans is SZ ->GZ-> ?

Chinese New Year is coming. No sure if many locals will go back hometown? Am going last week of Jan.
 

TLCTLC88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2015
Messages
11,487
Reaction score
2,702
Wahh... Looks like u had a great time.

I never been to GZ and will be travel alone, so my consumption varieties will be limited. But.i miss Roast goose and some canton dishes. Just hoping to enjoy my favorite food there and some massage.

I have been to Macau day trip from HK. I dont gamble and i dont miss Macau food except for egg tarts.

I was thinking of doing Macau-> Zhuhai -> Dongmen (Been there for R&R, Good old days) -> GZ -> SZ (Use to go SZ for weekend wheni HK). -> HK (Eat Eat Eat). But now my plans is SZ ->GZ-> ?

Chinese New Year is coming. No sure if many locals will go back hometown? Am going last week of Jan.
i was trying to test myself if i can be a solo traveller (in the past was only during work trips and i extended a day or 2 for shopping).

Last week of Jan still fine I feel. Feb is a no no for sure.

Only 1 person cannot eat much too. I think u can go xi hua food street to eat all the cantonese cuisine u want since u will be making day trips out of GZ.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,021
Reaction score
1,916
陶陶居 is going to be hit or miss. Personally I find that the quality has deteriorated yet the price has gone up considerably. It used to be the best food in Guangzhou for a heritage restaurant setting. During my most recent visit, I found it overpriced for the degraded quality.
 

sbl2560

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
506
Reaction score
282
陶陶居 is going to be hit or miss. Personally I find that the quality has deteriorated yet the price has gone up considerably. It used to be the best food in Guangzhou for a heritage restaurant setting. During my most recent visit, I found it overpriced for the degraded quality.
Agreed. First time was at Xiamen. It was better as compared to second try at Guangzhou.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,021
Reaction score
1,916
I never been to GZ and will be travel alone, so my consumption varieties will be limited. But.i miss Roast goose and some canton dishes. Just hoping to enjoy my favorite food there and some massage.

Chinese New Year is coming. No sure if many locals will go back hometown? Am going last week of Jan.
End of January will still be fine. Avoid February when the city empties out.
You can search for keywords "养生会所", ”水疗中心“ etc if you want those large establishments with massage, food and short stays. I have not kept up with the top ones.
 

Bigbird00

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
1,024
Reaction score
119
i was trying to test myself if i can be a solo traveller (in the past was only during work trips and i extended a day or 2 for shopping).

Last week of Jan still fine I feel. Feb is a no no for sure.

Only 1 person cannot eat much too. I think u can go xi hua food street to eat all the cantonese cuisine u want since u will be making day trips out of GZ.

Its depends on your personality. If you are independent and confident in yourself, you can make friends anywhere.

I love the freedom. I get stress when i need to travel with others.

Yes the cons is its more "expensive" to travel for 1.

Thanks for the tips! 🙏
 

Bigbird00

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
1,024
Reaction score
119
End of January will still be fine. Avoid February when the city empties out.
You can search for keywords "养生会所", ”水疗中心“ etc if you want those large establishments with massage, food and short stays. I have not kept up with the top ones.

Wahh.... Another experience chongster!

Thanks for the tip! My chinese is F9 grade. Wish me luck!

Is there any local guide website available? Hope i can find a XMM tour guide! ;)
 

TLCTLC88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2015
Messages
11,487
Reaction score
2,702
Its depends on your personality. If you are independent and confident in yourself, you can make friends anywhere.

I love the freedom. I get stress when i need to travel with others.

Yes the cons is its more "expensive" to travel for 1.

Thanks for the tips! 🙏
I am independent enough i guess. I only find it stressful during planning and taking care of / reminding others during traveling.

This trip was ok, I didn't plan nor need to arrange anything. Sometimes being a follower is good (now i understand why my hubby so lazy whoever he travels)
 

Bigbird00

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
1,024
Reaction score
119
I am independent enough i guess. I only find it stressful during planning and taking care of / reminding others during traveling.

This trip was ok, I didn't plan nor need to arrange anything. Sometimes being a follower is good (now i understand why my hubby so lazy whoever he travels)

Planning is always a chore but necessary. That's the price to pay. I feel planning you set an expectation for yourself. If you are just a "passenger" then you cant blame others when things dont go as u want.

Time is limited during travel, so is consumption ability. Even if u are filthy rich!

If i travel with others, i feel i need to over deliver joy for others! Why so hot, why take so long, why traffic jam, why so crowded, why not nice...... Extreme Stress! So i rather travel solo!

Free and easy is the best. I will just go with the flow when i wake up! :cool:
 

TLCTLC88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2015
Messages
11,487
Reaction score
2,702
Planning is always a chore but necessary. That's the price to pay. I feel planning you set an expectation for yourself. If you are just a "passenger" then you cant blame others when things dont go as u want.

Time is limited during travel, so is consumption ability. Even if u are filthy rich!

If i travel with others, i feel i need to over deliver joy for others! Why so hot, why take so long, why traffic jam, why so crowded, why not nice...... Extreme Stress! So i rather travel solo!

Free and easy is the best. I will just go with the flow when i wake up! :cool:
Wanna travel solo w/o hubby for my next trip but he sure unhappy. See how ba
 

cherynsq

Master Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2025
Messages
2,715
Reaction score
1,257
Hi i just got back from Shanghai + Suzhou (can checkout my thread) in the start of Jan 2026 and am now flying out to Guangzhou next week.

i have done up my planning and because im travelling with my mom this time , i will be doing a more casual one . If you are the adventurous type , can go out of GZ to play go kart , glass bridge and many more . I wanted to do that myself but my mom can’t so end up I change my planning to GZ+ Chaoshan

stay tune for more updates
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,021
Reaction score
1,916
Wahh.... Another experience chongster!

Thanks for the tip! My chinese is F9 grade. Wish me luck!

Is there any local guide website available? Hope i can find a XMM tour guide! ;)
Can't help you with those if your language skills are truly F9.
 

Bigbird00

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
1,024
Reaction score
119
Wanna travel solo w/o hubby for my next trip but he sure unhappy. See how ba

Good luck and Godspeed!

Btw for foshan, is it worth going for day trip? I looked at some youtube videos, like nothing much.
 
Last edited:

Bigbird00

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
1,024
Reaction score
119
Can't help you with those if your language skills are truly F9.

Pang Chan lah!

Give some more tips.

I have my friendly google translate mah! Otherwise, can ask XMM to read and bring me there. :unsure:

Share share lah! :)

=======================================

For men stuff like for sport or boys toys (google glasses), Is there anything worth buying in GZ or SZ.

Mens stuff what u guys buy?
 

TLCTLC88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2015
Messages
11,487
Reaction score
2,702
Good luck and Godspeed!

Btw for foshan, is it worth going for day trip? I looked at some youtube videos, like nothing much.
I would go especially to 顺德 just for food. There's a famous food street which i saw from facebook but hubby didn't go.
 

cherynsq

Master Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2025
Messages
2,715
Reaction score
1,257
陶陶居 is going to be hit or miss. Personally I find that the quality has deteriorated yet the price has gone up considerably. It used to be the best food in Guangzhou for a heritage restaurant setting. During my most recent visit, I found it overpriced for the degraded quality.
Would you recommend I avoid taotaoju ? Go to the competitor instead ? 点都德
 

Wanderer123

Master Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2023
Messages
4,853
Reaction score
2,091
Just came back from Shenzhen recently. Stayed at Hyatt Place Shenzhen Dongmen.

Location is ideal, exit hotel, turn right at the first junction and you will see the start of Dongmen pedestrian street already (can actually see the first MacDonald in CN from far).

Beside the hotel is a mall with GU at the ground floor and eateries on the higher level. Laojie Station exit is right round the corner.

Just take note on weekend, it can get very crowded and full of jam (for cars-Didi and metro alike)
Actually, I find china cities mostly quite congested......people everywhere
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top