HDMI ARC Audio Return Channel discussion thread

iankaw50

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2017
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Hi

I have facing a daunting issue with ARC output when connected to an android settop box.... Here is the config:

LG OLED C8
STARHUB SETUP TO HDMI-1
SONOS Soundbar to HDMI-2
ANDROID Media player to HDMI-3

Scenario 1
No output from ARC despite trying all different settings

Scenario 2
Disconnect the android box and walaa... All work fine!

Before scenario-2, i called up LG abt ARC not working, and they are coming next week to fix it...

- Is it LG problem? Or the china made set top box problem?
- Any advise pls?
- what have i missed?


Thanks in advance!
 

AntzN

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2002
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
Hi

I have facing a daunting issue with ARC output when connected to an android settop box.... Here is the config:

LG OLED C8
STARHUB SETUP TO HDMI-1
SONOS Soundbar to HDMI-2
ANDROID Media player to HDMI-3

Scenario 1
No output from ARC despite trying all different settings

Scenario 2
Disconnect the android box and walaa... All work fine!

Before scenario-2, i called up LG abt ARC not working, and they are coming next week to fix it...

- Is it LG problem? Or the china made set top box problem?
- Any advise pls?
- what have i missed?


Thanks in advance!


Make sure your Sonos soundbar is connected to the HDMI IN/ARC of your TV. HDMI Port 2 looks to be correct.

Also, you have to select the sound output to ARC on your LG TV as well.
 
Last edited:

iankaw50

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2017
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Thanks and did just that,which is why Scenario 2 works. If i switch from Scenario 2 to Scenario 1, ARC stops working again. I have to switch off the Android Box to bring back the ARC to SONOS... *puzzled*

Make sure your Sonos soundbar is connected to the HDMI IN/ARC of your TV. HDMI Port 2 looks to be correct.

Also, you have to select the sound output to ARC on your LG TV as well.
 

AntzN

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2002
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
Thanks and did just that,which is why Scenario 2 works. If i switch from Scenario 2 to Scenario 1, ARC stops working again. I have to switch off the Android Box to bring back the ARC to SONOS... *puzzled*

See if you are able to disable hdmi-cec on the android box. It could be the source of the problem.

I have two LG TVs and I dun have any issue with ARC with my Onkyo AV Receiver and Sony Soundbar, as well as my Starhub and Xiaomi box.
 

iankaw50

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2017
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
LG tech came and conclude the culprit lies with the Android box. Only work around solution, sequence of powering up is key.

1. Android box must be disconnected before turning ON the TV + Sonos
2. Make sure Sonos is getting audio from ARC
3. Connect the HDMI to thr Android box and power up

Super not ideal... No other option


Thanks and did just that,which is why Scenario 2 works. If i switch from Scenario 2 to Scenario 1, ARC stops working again. I have to switch off the Android Box to bring back the ARC to SONOS... *puzzled*
 

AntzN

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2002
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
LG tech came and conclude the culprit lies with the Android box. Only work around solution, sequence of powering up is key.

1. Android box must be disconnected before turning ON the TV + Sonos
2. Make sure Sonos is getting audio from ARC
3. Connect the HDMI to thr Android box and power up

Super not ideal... No other option

Can share which android box you are using?
 

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
11,712
Reaction score
208
Got some problems with LG and Denon. No sound via HDMI ARC. Need some advice.

I bought an LG 4K TV and tried to connect to my Denon X1200. Enabled the simplink from the TV and HDMI CEC from Denon. Both connect via respective ARC ports.

Managed to get Denon to auto switch to TV Audio when the TV turns on. But playing YouTube using the LG TV and there is no sound from Denon. I haven't tried optical cos I really want to try to get ARC to work. Any one got any advise? Thanks
 
Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,454
Reaction score
6,007
Got some problems with LG and Denon. No sound via HDMI ARC. Need some advice.

I bought an LG 4K TV and tried to connect to my Denon X1200. Enabled the simplink from the TV and HDMI CEC from Denon. Both connect via respective ARC ports.

Managed to get Denon to auto switch to TV Audio when the TV turns on. But playing YouTube using the LG TV and there is no sound from Denon. I haven't tried optical cos I really want to try to get ARC to work. Any one got any advise? Thanks

- What cable are you using?
Is it HDMI 2.0 cable?
- Sometimes the auto switch won't work.
On the AVR have you toggle to TV?
 

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
11,712
Reaction score
208
- What cable are you using?
Is it HDMI 2.0 cable?
- Sometimes the auto switch won't work.
On the AVR have you toggle to TV?

The cable was an old HDMI cable I have been using for the past 10 years, not sure the version. The AVR is already on set to TV Audio, but there is still no sound.

I have already bought a new cable just now, will go back and test.
 

reno77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
23,373
Reaction score
5,213
For my LG to Onkyo receiver is also the same.
Switching from TV to Starhub box is no problem, I press HDMI 2 on the TV remote and switch the Onkyo remote to Cable box.

Switching from Cable box to TV , I always need to do it 2 times. The Arc doesn't change the sound the first time.. Need to switch back to Cable box and Press Youtube/Netflix on the TV , then press TV on the Onkyo receiver for it get the sound from the TV.
 

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
11,712
Reaction score
208
Ok. I changed a new cable and still no dice. I also followed reno77's suggestion to manually switch around the source multiple times ard. No sound too.

Also tired disconnecting all other inputs from the Denon AVR. No sound too. I can't think of anything else to try le :(
 
Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,454
Reaction score
6,007
Ok. I changed a new cable and still no dice. I also followed reno77's suggestion to manually switch around the source multiple times ard. No sound too.

Also tired disconnecting all other inputs from the Denon AVR. No sound too. I can't think of anything else to try le :(

- Try reset the AVR
- TV settings, is it toggle to audio system
 

petetherock

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2007
Messages
10,208
Reaction score
1,137
For the new eARC to work, you have to make sure that the entire chain is eARC ...
That includes cables too. But ARC is a bit of voodoo, and I know some who still can't make it work.
 

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2015
Messages
71,706
Reaction score
70,446
The cable was an old HDMI cable I have been using for the past 10 years, not sure the version. The AVR is already on set to TV Audio, but there is still no sound.

I have already bought a new cable just now, will go back and test.

same situation.

feeding hdmi from pc to my 4k tv, and trying to get ARC from 4k tv to an older non 4k Denon amplifier. both sides seemed to have recognised the ARC activation but just no audio stream. going to change a new cable and see.
 
Last edited:

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Joined
May 18, 2016
Messages
3,520
Reaction score
388
For the new eARC to work, you have to make sure that the entire chain is eARC ...
That includes cables too. But ARC is a bit of voodoo, and I know some who still can't make it work.

Ya. I'm still figuring out this eArc thingy. However, my case is not so bad, at least there are still sound coming out from my soundbar in all cases.

My Android TV box (no brand X96 Max based on Android 8 and Amlogic S905X2) connected to my TV (Panasonic HZ1000s) via HDMI #1.

From TV eArc (HDMI #2) connected to my soundbar, LG SN8YG (eARC port IN).

All the connections are via ATZ HDMI v2.1 Ultra High Speed cable.

Issue: The soundbar only displayed "EARC" and is connected during boot-up. Regardless which app (Plex or Kodi 18.9) with audio pass-through enabled on app, box and TV, still, it just display "EARC" without any DD, AC3, DTS, ATMOS and etc.

So I'm suspecting that the TV box is the issue. As I'm still waiting for my new box (H96 Max based on Amlogic S905X4 with HDMI 2.1 and Android 10) to arrive to test out.
 

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Joined
May 18, 2016
Messages
3,520
Reaction score
388
Just got my Nvidia Shield TV 2019 and Walla! Everything works!

Now I'm able to see DTX and Dolby Atmos been passthrough via eARC.

For LG soundbar users, the DTX of Dolby Atmos indication will not display permanently. After 10 or 15 secs into the movie, the display will revert back to EARC. However, you can use your app (LG Wifi) and check the current mode of audio.

So looks like none of those no brand cheap Android box seems to be able to pass through audio successfully (especially via eArc setup).

Ya. I'm still figuring out this eArc thingy. However, my case is not so bad, at least there are still sound coming out from my soundbar in all cases.

My Android TV box (no brand X96 Max based on Android 8 and Amlogic S905X2) connected to my TV (Panasonic HZ1000s) via HDMI #1.

From TV eArc (HDMI #2) connected to my soundbar, LG SN8YG (eARC port IN).

All the connections are via ATZ HDMI v2.1 Ultra High Speed cable.

Issue: The soundbar only displayed "EARC" and is connected during boot-up. Regardless which app (Plex or Kodi 18.9) with audio pass-through enabled on app, box and TV, still, it just display "EARC" without any DD, AC3, DTS, ATMOS and etc.

So I'm suspecting that the TV box is the issue. As I'm still waiting for my new box (H96 Max based on Amlogic S905X4 with HDMI 2.1 and Android 10) to arrive to test out.
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,454
Reaction score
6,007
I hope this thread are talking about legit contents like video and movies.
Android box issue is the content, I never own them since I know
the content quality are bad.

Since PS4 now supports Apple TV, if I want to rent for example
Wonder Woman 1984 I can rent in 4K HDR with Atmos support.
Point here is simple, you need content with lossless surround
format as well as device that is able to do passthrough like game console
such as PS4 or Apple TV 4k.

Videos downloaded or stream from certain sites/box, yes you
can use software codec to enabled DTS/Dolby Atmos.
If compare with native track from the movie, native track will sound
better than using software codec to enable loseless format.

BTW seems some here think DTS-X, Dolby Atmos are the best surround sound format which is not true.
DTS-X, Dolby Atmos are loseless surround format with object positioning.

I play Netflix through my Sony Bravia X8000E which only supports Dolby Digital Plus, does this means Dolby Digital Plus is inferior to Atmos?
No, it still dependent on the movie I play.

For example Predator 1984 this old film have been remaster with Atmos.
However if I play in Atmos, there are some cracking sound so I revert back to Dolby Digital Plus and it sound fine.

Point here is if movie is recorded in Dolby Digital/DTS it will sound fine but the remastered/upscale to Atmos track there will be some issues.
If you want best picture and sound is not android box but Blu ray disc.

To many disc is outdated technology but Blu ray movies are close to cinema quality.
Legal way to enjoy movies is through Apple TV or video rental from Rida Video center at Coronation Plaza.

Rent movie is around $5, I'm here to promote legal contents.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top