HDTV talk - antenna and reception issues [consolidated]

xllms

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your TV seems to be only for receiving DVB-T/DVB-C only leh. So going by what your TV are receiving, those scrambled signals are actually from the StarHub's antenna box on the wall. So that means your TV is receiving this channels by DVB-C already.

Buying an external antenna will not add extra channels to your reception since the air's DVB-T channels are only channel 5, channel 8 and channel news asia.

There is no need for u to buy external antenna.

Hi Kiwi8,
in this case, will i be able to watch those scrambled programs like CNN, Discovery, etc, if I get a
Digital Receiver like the Draco DVB-T2 7300 or the Akira HDVB-T2A1 Digital Setup Box?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

xllms

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi Kiwi8,
in this case, will i be able to watch those scrambled programs like CNN, Discovery, etc, if I get a
Digital Receiver like the Draco DVB-T2 7300 or the Akira HDVB-T2A1 Digital Setup Box?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

xllms
The Blackbox lor... illegal of course.

hindhede

Reaction score
Signal issue on Draco ANT600 and HDT2-7300

Hello guys..really need some help here. Just bought the Draco HDT2-7300 with bundled Antenna (ANT600). It worked well for a few days until yesterday where i totally lost all channels.

DXC0CdP.jpg

I set POWER ON to antenna and the antenna showed a Blue LED light. However, i have zero signal quality and strength..

alphaone

Reaction score
Hi all!

DVB noob here, needing your help pls :)

I bought a Sony TV with DVB-T2 tuner built in. To receive FTA HD channels, I'll just need to buy an antenna ya? Tried connecting to my HDB coaxial points (the one for StarHub signals) but yielding nothing :(

Would like to learn more on:

1) Ideal antenna length? Read something about 1/4 wavelength?

2) Antenna impedence. To get 50 ohm or 75 ohm?

3) Where's a good place to buy the antenna?

Thank you very much :)

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

alphaone

Reaction score
@mrsun18, thanks for the quick reply!

Oh darn... my area is not Indoor Reception ready :( So that'll mean no way for me to receive HD over the air? Wanted to cancel my StarHub cable TV subscription and switch to free OTA.

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
...Tried connecting to my HDB coaxial points (the one for StarHub signals) but yielding nothing

What do you use to connect between your new TV & your HDB coaxial point?

By right, MediaCorp have not turn off the conventional method of broadcasting FTA channels (I forgot what the proper term is); so I think simply plugging in a coaxial cable to your wall coaxial point & doing the typical scanning should still work.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Oh darn... my area is not Indoor Reception ready :( So that'll mean no way for me to receive HD over the air? Wanted to cancel my StarHub cable TV subscription and switch to free OTA.

May be you can just keep the 3 basic groups with HD upsize and cancel the rest.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

No harm buying an indoor antenna now to try now as you still need to buy one eventually, if you really wanted to cancel your starhub subscription. Quite good chance the antenna will work if you are on high level, or if the house is fairly open (ie with lots of windows and open balconies). Sticking the antenna out of window will pretty assure you of getting T2 reception :)

alphaone

Reaction score
No harm buying an indoor antenna now to try now as you still need to buy one eventually, if you really wanted to cancel your starhub subscription. Quite good chance the antenna will work if you are on high level, or if the house is fairly open (ie with lots of windows and open balconies). Sticking the antenna out of window will pretty assure you of getting T2 reception :)

Ok, gonna just gamble that $20 haha.

Any particular model to recomd?
Not urgent, so I don't mind shopping online (Qoo10, Lazada etc) and wait for delivery, to save a little moolah :)

alphaone

Reaction score
What do you use to connect between your new TV & your HDB coaxial point?

By right, MediaCorp have not turn off the conventional method of broadcasting FTA channels (I forgot what the proper term is); so I think simply plugging in a coaxial cable to your wall coaxial point & doing the typical scanning should still work.

I used a long coaxial to connect frm TV > StarHub coaxial point on the wall. Also tried connecting to another coax wall point called "FM". So yeah, 2 coax points on my wall. Both nothing at all :(

If analog, yes scanning can detect non-HD channels. But nothing for my Digital scans.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not urgent, so I don't mind shopping online (Qoo10, Lazada etc) and wait for delivery, to save a little moolah :)

FTA channel contents are very limited and often showing at bad timing, too late or too early.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

Nothing in particular. If you don't mind, post what is found attractive to you here for comments.

alcatrazz

Reaction score
"so I think simply plugging in a coaxial cable to your wall coaxial point & doing the typical scanning should still work."

Sorry...I don't think it will work...I tried but no channels available....

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
"so I think simply plugging in a coaxial cable to your wall coaxial point & doing the typical scanning should still work."

Sorry...I don't think it will work...I tried but no channels available....
That's right. As you said before..."Tried connecting to my HDB coaxial points (the one for StarHub signal) but yielding nothing". The reason being that the point only carries Starhub signals in analogue and DVB-C, but not the terrestrial DVB-T2 signals.

Last edited:

alcatrazz

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, mrsun18!
But i do have a friend's LG tv that plug straight into the wall socket and got DVB-T2 signal.
Turn out that the wall socket is using MATV antenna, not Starhub signal. For me, I am using AC Ryan Play-on Live! with AC Ryan booster antenna....All T2 7 channels can received plus 1 test channel. (showing animals).

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, mrsun18!
But i do have a friend's LG tv that plug straight into the wall socket and got DVB-T2 signal.
Turn out that the wall socket is using MATV antenna, not Starhub signal. For me, I am using AC Ryan Play-on Live! with AC Ryan booster antenna....All T2 7 channels can received plus 1 test channel. (showing animals).
You see, there are 2 types of wall plates, the MATV type conveys terrestrial signals while the SCV type carries Starhub signals. Not all MATV type have T2 signals though. And eventually when MediaCorp analogue tv transmission stops, the HDB MATV will also be shut down at the same time. This will not affect you since you are already receiving T2 with your AC Ryan ;)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.