HELP!! ): bad a level grades, h1maths vs h2maths, ntu/nus comp sci

sadgirl

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2014
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
studied computer-related diploma, got into NUS, totally slumped because the content is really different from poly content.

even took a semester off to do internship to get away from NUS.
ended up struggle through, just hoping to pass every mod.

she was not from CS, CM like me.
she's now an app developer with NCS and yes, she can code (she neither hates it nor loves it).

the only 2 people on this forum that I know is truly passionate in CS are moxlotus and deathangel.
mox is interested in algorithms i think, death is doing parallel computing if im not mistaken.
consult them if you need to.
consult jiawei for IS.

from what you said, i doubt software engineering is what you want, neither is networking nor database. probably not visual computing either.

it's fine you don't know which exact focus area you are truly interested in but really bottom line is
1) you dont come in thinking you're gonna build the next flappy bird (ok this is easy) or assassin creeds or facebook or whatsapp
2) you need to be able to do well in maths because CS relies on it a lot (except SE but you still need to clear them anyway)
3) you need to learn to accept programming into your life and not just copy codes from somewhere else without knowing what it does
4) 4 compulsory science modules, be prepared
5) be prepared to go on toe-to-toe with foreign students, namely indians, chinese and vietnamese because their dedication and foundation has been proven to be stronger than singaporeans in general (or from what i observed)

that said, the above are my opinions. good luck. :)

Software eng is like how de leh. You ask me what I am interested in. I cannot tell you imaginary stuffs unless I experience them what. You all seems to be struggling at comp sci leh. Why like no one here passionate about comp science one. Is it such a hateful course with full of struggles LOL. Idk if I should be intimidate and back off from this course now. All the comments sounds discouraging. But I really believe I would turn to love CS leh. Anyway that's a really great guide. I'm fine with intense maths and science. I actually prefer logical and factual stuffs more lol. Not expecting myself to create FB whatsapp dota. And yes I know it's full of foreign talent who are more dedicated. May I ask what do you like about CS?
 

sadgirl

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2014
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
I would be glad if anyone give me materials regarding CS so I can better decide on my choices thank you !
 

a&w_rootbeerz

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2013
Messages
45,067
Reaction score
4
Software eng is like how de leh. You ask me what I am interested in. I cannot tell you imaginary stuffs unless I experience them what. You all seems to be struggling at comp sci leh. Why like no one here passionate about comp science one. Is it such a hateful course with full of struggles LOL. Idk if I should be intimidate and back off from this course now. All the comments sounds discouraging. But I really believe I would turn to love CS leh. Anyway that's a really great guide. I'm fine with intense maths and science. I actually prefer logical and factual stuffs more lol. Not expecting myself to create FB whatsapp dota. And yes I know it's full of foreign talent who are more dedicated. May I ask what do you like about CS?

Take it with a pinch of salt.. Think positive and don't back off.. You will gain learning experience in the process..
 

mihawk

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
934
Reaction score
9
hi sadgirl,

seems like u took h1 math. i am an econs major, but i took h1 math also and took the bridging mod that for pple with no h2 math.

uni math is no joke. the bridging mod is practically the whole of h2 pure math syllabus in one semester. during my sem it was insanely difficult and consider that this bridging mod is probably the easiest math module around.

the difficulty of math in uni is often underestimated by jc students who are just coming into uni. when people say practice can survive (average grade) it sounds easy, but the intensity of practice in university required to survive is equivalent to the intensity of studying for A lvls everyday for the whole semester. if you are coming to NUS it is probably worse.

Also consider that H1 math background (only simple a maths + a little bit more) is as good as no math background.
 

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
98,516
Reaction score
15,585
Software eng is like how de leh. You ask me what I am interested in. I cannot tell you imaginary stuffs unless I experience them what. You all seems to be struggling at comp sci leh. Why like no one here passionate about comp science one. Is it such a hateful course with full of struggles LOL. Idk if I should be intimidate and back off from this course now. All the comments sounds discouraging. But I really believe I would turn to love CS leh. Anyway that's a really great guide. I'm fine with intense maths and science. I actually prefer logical and factual stuffs more lol. Not expecting myself to create FB whatsapp dota. And yes I know it's full of foreign talent who are more dedicated. May I ask what do you like about CS?

many ppl are only passionate about one part of CS, but not all of it.

Since the degree will teach u all the basic **** and some of the **** is not very interesting, it will be a struggle.

The struggle comes when the math is not good when some parts of the degree have HIGH involvment of math

I can tell u i am passionate about CS:Software engineering, but if u ask me to do a course on CS:algorithm , i will die in CS:Algorithm because of the math, i will also die in CS:Graphics because i cant draw for nuts and the matrix algebra for graphics is ****,

i will also die in CS: Parallel Computing because i am not interested in it.

of course u can choose ur modules, but i think i am overly specialized.. my grades are very extreme..

i can get 10A-/A in CS: SE but i can get C in CS: Algorithm i have mostly Bs in other aspect of CS but i can say SE is my strongest area

CS is a general computing degree..

hi sadgirl,

seems like u took h1 math. i am an econs major, but i took h1 math also and took the bridging mod that for pple with no h2 math.

uni math is no joke. the bridging mod is practically the whole of h2 pure math syllabus in one semester. during my sem it was insanely difficult and consider that this bridging mod is probably the easiest math module around.

the difficulty of math in uni is often underestimated by jc students who are just coming into uni. when people say practice can survive (average grade) it sounds easy, but the intensity of practice in university required to survive is equivalent to the intensity of studying for A lvls everyday for the whole semester. if you are coming to NUS it is probably worse.

Also consider that H1 math background (only simple a maths + a little bit more) is as good as no math background.

very true.
 
Last edited:

swordsly

Master Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
3,400
Reaction score
0
Software eng is like how de leh. You ask me what I am interested in. I cannot tell you imaginary stuffs unless I experience them what. You all seems to be struggling at comp sci leh. Why like no one here passionate about comp science one. Is it such a hateful course with full of struggles LOL. Idk if I should be intimidate and back off from this course now. All the comments sounds discouraging. But I really believe I would turn to love CS leh. Anyway that's a really great guide. I'm fine with intense maths and science. I actually prefer logical and factual stuffs more lol. Not expecting myself to create FB whatsapp dota. And yes I know it's full of foreign talent who are more dedicated. May I ask what do you like about CS?

some of us are intimidated by it.
of course on the flip side, there are those who love it, like the 2 i mentioned above.

like mgx say, CS is very math-inclined.
so there you have it; while we are interested in portions of comp science (or comp related stuffs), math is really a killer for us in NUS because we really suck at it.
for mgx, the burden of 4 science is even worst.

im from CM (now a focus area in CS, heng ah), which deals with a portion of CS and NM. you can read more from SoC web.
i went in for the games spec (even though i wanted SIT but heard that SIT drop-out rate is high due to the intense math modules).

i'll tell you why it's shitty for me (CM).
before i went in, there were a whole bunch of game-related modules like 3d game programming etc that i was attracted to, or rather "promised" because it was on the website. i wasnt bothered by the programming portion because if it's game-related, i will do my best for it.
go in, math killed me. science killed me (i only need 1 science though). i got a 2.38 cap for my 1st sem and that's a big blow considering my gpa from poly was 3.87.
so yes, through my 3-years, and still counting, math has always dealt critical hits on me. i did fairly okay with mods like data structures, comp graphics, human-comp interaction. (i've yet to finish my foundation modules because i intend to clear them over exchange because they are dry and competitive and meaningless to me to fight over for as i just need to satisfy the dreaded requirements).
the game development mod that i looked forward to was the biggest cheat of all when they placed a prof who knows nuts about game dev to teach game dev. you know how to spell "cheated"?
the only good mods that i truly enjoyed from SoC was CS3343 digital media production (which im a TA of, thereby exposing my identity here but who cares) that deals with filming and CS4340 digital special effects.

being a CM student, i have the choice to take NM mods and i must say NM mods are way more enjoyable even though they are full of theories (useless some) and essays. NM3216 game design was the only mod which was really close to my spec.

the only thing that kept me sane in NUS was my korean language mod; my sanctuary away from SoC.

so yes, while i do enjoy aspects of computing, i don't enjoy the math behind, nor the bias competition that looms in SoC. why bias? because they are already good at it. but heck i dont have affinity with math so who can i blame?

**take my advice, consult moxlotus and deathangel.
***btw, did you go for open house or even attempt to read the SoC web for information on each course? if you truly know nuts about computing, then what you are experiencing might be pure curiosity and not exactly interest. the difference is big. but again i'm only assuming.
 
Last edited:

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2010
Messages
12,336
Reaction score
0
hi sadgirl,

seems like u took h1 math. i am an econs major, but i took h1 math also and took the bridging mod that for pple with no h2 math.

uni math is no joke. the bridging mod is practically the whole of h2 pure math syllabus in one semester. during my sem it was insanely difficult and consider that this bridging mod is probably the easiest math module around.

the difficulty of math in uni is often underestimated by jc students who are just coming into uni. when people say practice can survive (average grade) it sounds easy, but the intensity of practice in university required to survive is equivalent to the intensity of studying for A lvls everyday for the whole semester. if you are coming to NUS it is probably worse.

Also consider that H1 math background (only simple a maths + a little bit more) is as good as no math background.

true story... know 2 person with A in h2 math got a C+ in a year 1 math module.

but no need to be intimated one lar... before i enter nus, tok to seniors during matriculation fair, open hse... everytime i mention i going stats they will give me a smile n tell me good luck, say very tough and alot of tiong to compete against... but now i yr 3 liao still surviving.
 
Last edited:

swordsly

Master Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
3,400
Reaction score
0
Take it with a pinch of salt.. Think positive and don't back off.. You will gain learning experience in the process..

i agree.
take our advices with a pinch of salt because every individual experience is subjective due to different bases and contexts.

but i do hope you find yourself at home if you really come in.
because honestly, i dont.

if you don't gain experience thru any process, then you're doing something wrong. (capt obvious :s8:)
 

sadgirl

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2014
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
hi sadgirl,

seems like u took h1 math. i am an econs major, but i took h1 math also and took the bridging mod that for pple with no h2 math.

uni math is no joke. the bridging mod is practically the whole of h2 pure math syllabus in one semester. during my sem it was insanely difficult and consider that this bridging mod is probably the easiest math module around.

the difficulty of math in uni is often underestimated by jc students who are just coming into uni. when people say practice can survive (average grade) it sounds easy, but the intensity of practice in university required to survive is equivalent to the intensity of studying for A lvls everyday for the whole semester. if you are coming to NUS it is probably worse.

Also consider that H1 math background (only simple a maths + a little bit more) is as good as no math background.

Will my o level A maths help a little? Sounds tough leh. Yea I do agree h1 maths is totally nth. It's even easier than a maths and e maths itself. Question is I don't get why nus accepts h1 maths students for comp science when it is so heavy in maths! So what now back to cbc at ntu uh LOL. Now I hear all your advices even I myself abit scared liao
 

swordsly

Master Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
3,400
Reaction score
0
Will my o level A maths help a little? Sounds tough leh. Yea I do agree h1 maths is totally nth. It's even easier than a maths and e maths itself. Question is I don't get why nus accepts h1 maths students for comp science when it is so heavy in maths! So what now back to cbc at ntu uh LOL. Now I hear all your advices even I myself abit scared liao

your jc math already more advance than o lvl math. you say leh?
im not a-math student but w/e i learnt in the past is only MA1301.

all those are really just the tip of the iceberg.

what you need is not the ability to memorize formulas.
you really need to be able to understand math concepts (not the abstract ones like math majors take) because that'll really help.

i just drill myself thats why i am barely surviving only.
 

sadgirl

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2014
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
i agree.
take our advices with a pinch of salt because every individual experience is subjective due to different bases and contexts.

but i do hope you find yourself at home if you really come in.
because honestly, i dont.

if you don't gain experience thru any process, then you're doing something wrong. (capt obvious :s8:)

I'm glad to know like both sides of story la. Cuz like next time who knows I end up in same situation also. Dying with maths. Now at least I know I won't make a choice I would regret ma. But really thanks for everyone who replied. It gives me a really good picture of what kind of **** I'm getting into haha! I would see see la still got 2 weeks to choose.
 

swordsly

Master Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
3,400
Reaction score
0
I'm glad to know like both sides of story la. Cuz like next time who knows I end up in same situation also. Dying with maths. Now at least I know I won't make a choice I would regret ma. But really thanks for everyone who replied. It gives me a really good picture of what kind of **** I'm getting into haha! I would see see la still got 2 weeks to choose.

oh but on a side note, i hearsay NTU comp science is easier than NUS.
but based on ranking, NTU also lower than NUS.

hearsay. :s22:
 

sadgirl

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2014
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
some of us are intimidated by it.
of course on the flip side, there are those who love it, like the 2 i mentioned above.

like mgx say, CS is very math-inclined.
so there you have it; while we are interested in portions of comp science (or comp related stuffs), math is really a killer for us in NUS because we really suck at it.
for mgx, the burden of 4 science is even worst.

im from CM (now a focus area in CS, heng ah), which deals with a portion of CS and NM. you can read more from SoC web.
i went in for the games spec (even though i wanted SIT but heard that SIT drop-out rate is high due to the intense math modules).

i'll tell you why it's shitty for me (CM).
before i went in, there were a whole bunch of game-related modules like 3d game programming etc that i was attracted to, or rather "promised" because it was on the website. i wasnt bothered by the programming portion because if it's game-related, i will do my best for it.
go in, math killed me. science killed me (i only need 1 science though). i got a 2.38 cap for my 1st sem and that's a big blow considering my gpa from poly was 3.87.
so yes, through my 3-years, and still counting, math has always dealt critical hits on me. i did fairly okay with mods like data structures, comp graphics, human-comp interaction. (i've yet to finish my foundation modules because i intend to clear them over exchange because they are dry and competitive and meaningless to me to fight over for as i just need to satisfy the dreaded requirements).
the game development mod that i looked forward to was the biggest cheat of all when they placed a prof who knows nuts about game dev to teach game dev. you know how to spell "cheated"?
the only good mods that i truly enjoyed from SoC was CS3343 digital media production (which im a TA of, thereby exposing my identity here but who cares) that deals with filming and CS4340 digital special effects.

being a CM student, i have the choice to take NM mods and i must say NM mods are way more enjoyable even though they are full of theories (useless some) and essays. NM3216 game design was the only mod which was really close to my spec.

the only thing that kept me sane in NUS was my korean language mod; my sanctuary away from SoC.

so yes, while i do enjoy aspects of computing, i don't enjoy the math behind, nor the bias competition that looms in SoC. why bias? because they are already good at it. but heck i dont have affinity with math so who can i blame?

**take my advice, consult moxlotus and deathangel.
***btw, did you go for open house or even attempt to read the SoC web for information on each course? if you truly know nuts about computing, then what you are experiencing might be pure curiosity and not exactly interest. the difference is big. but again i'm only assuming.

Yep I went to open house for both ntu and nus for computer science. And yea I did read up on modules. And yes you are right. What I am experiencing is probably just curiosity. Right now I'm listening to MIT open course computer science software lectures to see if I am really up for it lol. Seems like maths is making you crazy.
 

sadgirl

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2014
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
swordsly, did you regret taking cm? If u have a choice, what would you take up instead?
 

swordsly

Master Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
3,400
Reaction score
0
swordsly, did you regret taking cm? If u have a choice, what would you take up instead?

hmmm... tricky.

while i truly dislike the entire NUS curriculum and how CM has been screwed up and absorbed into CS,

my time in NUS was enjoyable due to unexpected events and the fun company i had.
it is also NUS that granted me the chance to access korean language, which i fell deeply in love with.
it is also NUS that i was exposed to CM seniors like fzh who gave me good advice.
it is also because im in NUS that i was exposed to stuffs that allowed me to mature more.
it is also because im in NUS that gave me a chance to be part of GIP 13, an external programme in SUTD on game development.
it is also in NUS that i met some.. special people.

time cannot be turned back.
i probably will choose CM again because such opportunities awaits me now that i'm already in the future.
but of course im not choosing CM because of its structure. the rest of the course just aint my cup of tea.

so yeah that pretty much sums it up.
there really is no point asking this question though because my answer would be heavily influenced by various relevant/irrelevant factors that somehow correlates things.
 

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
98,516
Reaction score
15,585
Yep I went to open house for both ntu and nus for computer science. And yea I did read up on modules. And yes you are right. What I am experiencing is probably just curiosity. Right now I'm listening to MIT open course computer science software lectures to see if I am really up for it lol. Seems like maths is making you crazy.

CS Software is NOTHING

try data structures and algorithms... which is the super basic stuff for IS/CS/CEG students

1st part (CS1010/1020 eq) - every1 in soc must take
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...nce-and-programming-fall-2008/video-lectures/

2nd (CS2010 eq) cs majors only
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...e/6-006-introduction-to-algorithms-fall-2011/

if u can handle that then u can consider

if u freaking dun understand wtf is going on, stay away :s22:
 
Last edited:

Death4ngel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2008
Messages
10,920
Reaction score
0
i believe la. for maths i no problem one. cuz maths n sci always my strongest since young. i hated humans subjects and english alot alot. love logical factual stuffs. yea i hear from everyone discrete structures is a killer LOL. so hows comp sci lectures? did you regret not taking information systems? why would you prefer IS instead? in the first place what have made you choose comp sci?

Please do not link Pre-U Math with Math. :s13:

TYVM.
 

Death4ngel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2008
Messages
10,920
Reaction score
0
CS Software is NOTHING

try data structures and algorithms... which is the super basic stuff for IS/CS/CEG students

1st part (CS1010/1020 eq) - every1 in soc must take
Video Lectures | Introduction to Computer Science and Programming | Electrical Engineering and Computer Science | MIT OpenCourseWare

2nd (CS2010 eq) cs majors only
Introduction to Algorithms | Electrical Engineering and Computer Science | MIT OpenCourseWare

if u can handle that then u can consider

if u freaking dun understand wtf is going on, stay away :s22:

CS2020 is basic CS rice bowl. :s13:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top