Historical Rolling Returns - DCA into STI

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
26,802
Reaction score
24
Your chart doesn 't make sense

i dont claim credit for these charts. Its MikeDirnt78's data.

i think it makes a lot of sense.

Your returns is not fixed. it really depends when you invested. Your returns will follow a distribution curve.
 

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Messages
23,388
Reaction score
4,316
It is -0.3x % without commission charge for 5 years, comes with 2-3 % of dividend yield. The current figure if including all the commission charge should be around mid 2.x % only. Definitely not as high as 4 %

Idunno...with a basic buy and hold strategy, I have 7.95% unrealized gains on the STI ETF as of last Fri's prices...if you include the dividend I've collected so far, it's 8.88%...I think it's pretty good!
 

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Messages
23,388
Reaction score
4,316
DCA simulation results by mikedink78
whXJaWA.png

yup looks normal, it's a gaussian curve. but why u exclude dividend? :s11:
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
I can get super return if I manage to buy at low and sell at high every year. :)

Idunno...with a basic buy and hold strategy, I have 7.95% unrealized gains on the STI ETF as of last Fri's prices...if you include the dividend I've collected so far, it's 8.88%...I think it's pretty good!
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
Annualized return makes more sense for discussion. :)

i dont claim credit for these charts. Its MikeDirnt78's data.

i think it makes a lot of sense.

Your returns is not fixed. it really depends when you invested. Your returns will follow a distribution curve.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
Seems like everyone thinks sti etf is low risk high return, what is your view?

Now we know the returns, i am really curious about risks as well.

I measure risk not as standard deviation, but as maximum equity drawdown.
I am hoping someone can also do such studies
 

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
26,802
Reaction score
24
Asphodeli wrote:
Idunno...with a basic buy and hold strategy, I have 7.95% unrealized gains on the STI ETF as of last Fri's prices...if you include the dividend I've collected so far, it's 8.88%...I think it's pretty good!
lucky you
you fell on the right side of the distribution curve

not everyone so lucky
 

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
26,802
Reaction score
24
Seems like everyone thinks sti etf is low risk high return, what is your view?

returns are in 5% region, that's low-mid returns
risk, i dunno..... you can come up with some study to measure the risk?


for me, already fail the high return criteria.
 

Mecisteus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2002
Messages
55,819
Reaction score
12,254
Good job wahkao. Yes those returns are annualized.

yyhwin, if you don't understand anything, stop flooding this thread. Last reminder.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
Ern, you are just trying to discredit me here.

So your 5 years cagr is positive now? :)!

I thought your return is rolling return? So perhaps you can explain Wakao charts to me now? :)

Good job wahkao. Yes those returns are annualized.

yyhwin, if you don't understand anything, stop flooding this thread. Last reminder.
 
Last edited:

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
If your table is indeed the rolling return, your 5 years annualized return is still a negative without taking into consideration of transaction cost.

If taken dividend into consideration, the 5 years annualized return can be a positive number, but that is a positive number of 3.x % at most.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
Wakao, can you try enlighten me on your charts since the return is rolling return but not simple annual return?
 

Mecisteus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2002
Messages
55,819
Reaction score
12,254
Ern, you are just trying to discredit me here.

So your 5 years cagr is positive now? :)!

I thought your return is rolling return? So perhaps you can explain Wakao charts to me now? :)

For someone who studies Mathematics, the charts are self explanatory.

If you are a newbie, I don't mind explaining.

Due to your egoistic attitude, I will refrain from explaining to you any further.

So please stop your flood. Can you give way to others who are interested to learn about DCA into STI?
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
Since you do not want to explain, then I won't ask further. I think rolling return is quite straight forward.

5 years rolling return based on your table is a negative number and you have no idea how to make sense of Wakao graph as well, that's why you refuse to answer me.

I am not flooding the thread. I purely sharing what I believe to be the true return of sti etf in recent 5 years. I didn't make up the negative number, I got it from your table, the first row. Rolling return for 5 years dca.

Feel free to have a debate with me and clear my doubts if you think other wise. Thanks!

For someone who studies Mathematics, the charts are self explanatory.

If you are a newbie, I don't mind explaining.

Due to your egoistic attitude, I will refrain from explaining to you any further.

So please stop your flood. Can you give way to others who are interested to learn about DCA into STI?
 
Last edited:

Mecisteus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2002
Messages
55,819
Reaction score
12,254
Since you do not want to explain, then I won't ask further. I think rolling return is quite straight forward.

5 years rolling return based on your table is a negative number and you have no idea how to make sense of Wakao graph as well, that's why you refuse to answer me.

I am not flooding the thread. I purely sharing what I believe to be the true return of sti etf in recent 5 years.

Feel free to have a debate with me and clear my doubts if you think other wise. Thanks!

Go on with your delusion and mis-understanding.

Wahkao, I understand your graphs. Good job again.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
If you understand, can you tell me how to make sense of it since your calculated return in your table is based on rolling return but not normal annual return?

Go on with your delusion and mis-understanding.

Wahkao, I understand your graphs. Good job again.
 

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
26,802
Reaction score
24
i explain! IN LAYMAN TErM!!!

to determine if DCA works, the best way to do is to sample a group of people who did DCA in the past. You want to sample As many as possible.

Now these people may buy at different time. And have different time periods of purchase.

Some may have done DCA for 5 yrs. Some 20 years.
some may have started in June. Some started in Aug
So many combinations! How to determine? The way to determine is to grab all their results and see the pattern.

For me, I think a distribution curve is the best way to visualize.
whXJaWA.png
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top