xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Post updated in Sept 2023

Top models if you have to use wireless backhaul (triband AX):
1) Asus ZenWiFi Pro XT12
2) Netgear Orbi RBK860SB series
3) Netgear Orbi RBK850 series
4) Asus ZenWiFi XT8 (good WiFi performance but weak CPU).
5) Netgear RBK750 series
6) Asus RT-AX92U

Note:
1) There are also Netgear Orbi Pro series (SXK80).
2) Of course you can also use Asus Aimesh with triband AX router modes like GT-AX11000, GT-AX11000 Pro. For example, GT-AX11000 Pro + ZenWiFi XT8 will be a poweful system and it also sorts out the weak CPU issue of the ZenWiFi XT8.
3) Linksys MX4200 Velop has mixed reviews from the users in this forum.

Low cost triband AX mesh system:
TP-Link Deco X68
TP-Link Deco X75
Xiaomi AX9000 (S$239 when on offer)

Good options if you can use Ethenet backhaul:
Asus AIMesh (dual band models will be good enough, eg: GT-AX600+RT-AX82U).
You can use Moca adapters as Ethenet backhaul if you have the Coax Cable (SCV/Starhub Cable system).

Asus ZenWiFi XD4/XD4S/XD5/XD6 can be used as well and people may like the form factor but the performance is usually less then their counterpart Asus AX router (eg: XD6 is worse than RT-AX82U or TUF-AX5400, XD5 is not as good as RT-AX58U and TUF-AX3000, XD4 is not as good as RT-AX55). It is also not recommended to use ZenWiFi XD4/XD4S as the main router as they only have 256MB RAM. I will aslo do not recommend using Asus RT-AX53U/RT-AX55/RT-AX57/RT-AX3000P as the main rotuer due to the fact that they only have 256MB RAM. You may encounter issues even with Ethernet backhaul. However, they will be okay to be used as AImesh nodes if they are behind a more powerful Asus router (eg: TUF-AX4200, TUF-AX6000, RT-AX86U or better).

You can also choose Netgear Orbi RBK350 series and Netgear MK60 series, TP-Link Deco X20/X25/X50/X50 Pro/X55/X60/X80/X90/etc.

Special solution with Powerline backhaul (lower performance but good coverage if you do not have LAN ports in the rooms):
Asus Zenwifi XP4 (AX1800+AV1300)
TP-Link Deco PX50 (AX3000 + G.hn G1500)

Top WiFi 6 Mesh System from Dongknows
https://dongknows.com/best-wi-fi-6-mesh-systems/

Top WiFi 6E Mesh System from Dongknows (not yet popular in Singapore)
https://dongknows.com/best-wi-fi-6e-mesh-systems/

+++++++++++++++++
A long but pretty good write-up for the mesh system vs others, and Ethernet backhaul vs wireless backhaul.

From DongKonws.com
https://dongknows.com/mesh-wi-fi-system-explained/

1) Wired backhaul: The only way to get the best performing mesh

The best way to implement a mesh is by using network cables to link the hubs together in a wired backhaul setup. In this case, you’ll always have the best possible Wi-Fi speeds throughout.
You don’t need to worry much about how to arrange the hubs in a wired backhaul setup. Within reason, no matter the distance or placement, you’ll get the same performance.

2) Wireless backhaul: Super convenient but can be temperamental

Running network cables can be hard or even not possible at all. So wireless mesh setups are popular. In this case, how you arrange the hubs is crucial. That’s because, over the air, the connections between them can vary a great deal.

To deal with that, there are two things to consider, the distance and the topology.
++++++++++++++++++

Related thread:
1) Netgear Orbi discussions
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/is-the-orbi-good.5561625/page-23

2) TP-Link Deco discussion
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-x20-x50-x55-x60-x68-x75-x90-x95-etc.6723167/

3) Linksys Velop disussion
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/linksys-velop-wifi-that-sets-you-free.5605530/

4) Asus ZenWiFi XT8 and ZenWiFi Pro XT12
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/maylyn-networking-asus-zenwifi-xt8.6177953/
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/asus-zenwifi-pro-xt12-in-singapore-discussion.6737682/

5) Aimesh capable AX routers
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-tuf-ax5400-rt-ax5400-and-tuf-ax4200.6315347/
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...ax55-rt-ax53u-rt-ax1800hp-rt-ax1800u.6394549/

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mesh routers to be avoided if using SingTel.

No 1 to avoid is Google Nest WiFi (or the old Google WiFi).

Two major problem:
1) if used with ONR, Google does not support mesh in AP mode, so you will face Double NAT.
2) if used with ONT, it does not support SingTel VLAN, so again you need to use it after VLAN capable router, so Double NAT will happen again.

No 2, avoid Askey/Airties/Arcadyan unless you need wireless connection for the SingTel TV box.

They are heavily tied to SingTel network as you need to be on SingTel network for firmware updates

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Post updated in Sept 2023
Best mesh system from DongKnows in 2023 for reference -- some models are not available in Singapore,

For dual band WiFi mesh sytem, even though he recommends Asus ZenWiFi XD5/XD6, but if you do not mind large form factore, it is actually better to use Dual Band Asus AX routers, for example, the following combination.
GT-AX6000 + RT-AX82U (high performance)
TUF-AX4200 + TUF-AX4200 (good performance)
TUF-AX4200 + RT-AX55 (low cost yet good performance)

https://dongknows.com/best-wi-fi-6-mesh-systems/1. Dual band (better for those who can use Ethernet backhaul)
TP-Link Deco X55 Pro (not available in Singapore)
Asus ZenWiFi XD5
TP-Link Deco X4300 Pro (not available in Singapore)
Asus ZenWiFi XD6
Netgear SXK30 Orbi Pro Mini (not available in Singapore)

2. Triband (better for those who have to use Wireless backhaul)
Asus ZenWiFi Pro XT12

TP-Link Deco X5700 (not available in Singapore)
Netgear Orbi RBK750
Linksys Velop MX4200 (some negative feedbacks in this forum by Starhub users).
AmpliFi Alien Mesh Kit (not available in Singapore)

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dedicated mesh vs Asus AIMesh, Xiaomi Mesh and Huawei HiLink Mesh

Dedicated mesh solution: usually nicer looking with internal antennas, got triband options, ease of use, potentially limited features (eg: TP-Link Deco, Linksys Velop, Netgear Orbi; exception is Asus ZenWiFi).

Normal router based mesh solution: not many triband options, more complete features

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mesh systems which have good track record.

Top models if you have to use wireless backhaul (triband): Netgear Orbi RBK85x, Asus Zenwifi XT8; Netgear RBK75x; Linksys MX4200

Good options if you can use Ethenet backhaul: Asus AIMesh (dual band models will be good enough).

Special solution with Powerline (lower performance but good coverage if you do not have LAN ports in the rooms): Asus Zenwifi XP4 (AX1800+AV1300), TP-Link P9 (AC1200+AV1000)

Netgear Orbi: RBK50, RBK752/753, RBK852/853 triband
Orbi RBK353 (dual band)

Linksys Velop compatible triband (avoid them if using SingTel ONT as they do not support SingTel Vlan): MX5300, MX4200, Velop triband

Asus Zenwifi: CT8 AC and XT8 triband; XD4 and XD6 dual band; ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12 is the top end triband AX11000 now but pretty expensive.

TP-Link Deco: AC: M4/M5 if can use Ethernet backhaul, if not Deco M9+ triband
AX: Deco X20, X25, X50, X55 and X60
AX triband: Deco X68, X75 and X90

Asus AIMesh: excellent choice if with Ethernet backhaul (mostly dual band, except expensive AX11000 which is triband)

Xiaomi AX6000, Xiaomi AX3600 (China version and Global version), AX3000 (global version), Xiaomi AX1800, Redmi AX5400, Redmi AX6, Redmi AX6S, Redmi AX3000 and AX5 (no mesh in AP mode, not recommended for SingTel users), low cost dual band solution, very good if using Ethernet backhaul

Xiaomi AX9000 (China version and Global version) : high end triband

Huawei AX3 Pro and Huawei AX3 China version, as well as Huawei AX3 QuadCore Global version: one of the lowest cost dual band solution, pretty good for the price. But the global version seems to be of very limited stock or no more stock as in March 2022.

Xiaomi AX3000 dual pack global version (around S$169) seems to be of very good value now that Huawei AX3 Quad Core Global version is out of stock.

Last edited:

RunningWater

Reaction score
Hi How about D-link mesh system? currently looking at COVR-X 1870 to replace my SH routers?like to go with the wifi 6 mesh system.TQ

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi How about D-link mesh system? currently looking at COVR-X 1870 to replace my SH routers?like to go with the wifi 6 mesh system.TQ

No idea. Hopefully users of D-Link can chime in. Very few mentioning of D-Link Mesh solution in this forum. In reality there are very few discussions on D-Link routers other than the old Starhub DIR-868L in this forum.

stephenbishop

Reaction score
xiaofan, what do you think of AX11000 as the main router + Asus XT8 triband as nodes with ethernet backhaul? For a large (say about 8000 sq ft) 3 storey house with lots of walls and floors?

Or would AX11000 as the main router + RT-AX92U be a better choice?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
xiaofan, what do you think of AX11000 as the main router + Asus XT8 triband as nodes with ethernet backhaul? For a large (say about 8000 sq ft) 3 storey house with lots of walls and floors?

If you can use Ethernet backhaul, I will suggest you save the money and get RT-AX58U as mesh nodes.

RT-AX11000 as main node.
2* RT-AX58U as mesh nodes for the other two floors.

XT8 and RT-AX92U are triband and overkill for your use case.

stephenbishop

Reaction score
Yes, I can use ethernet backhaul.

I will not see better wireless performance with XT8 or RT-AX92U + RT-AX11000 as the main router/main node given that the RT-AX11000 is tri-band?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, I can use ethernet backhaul.

I will not see better wireless performance with XT8 or RT-AX92U + RT-AX11000 as the main router/main node given that the RT-AX11000 is tri-band?

Ethernet backhaul is always better than wireless backhaul.

Triband is more meaningful for wireless backhaul.

BradenHeat

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Always have a budget and expectation : cheap means limited or with draw backs

Now is the time to go 80% all in if housing is all done

All the folks I’ve introduced to from my work place into the world of mesh initially complained of the $800 and holy figures, once dust is settled all kept quiet without streaming or dead spots

From not getting connection to near dead spots to now steaming 4K without issue on multiple device ( zen xt8)

Still multiple room and common corridor LAN ports > tri band mesh > one powerful “gaming router” > other recommendations

Had one colleague almost got conned by those singtel fiber sales, saying they need mesh when just one

ax82u was enough to fill up their moderate sized place

And mind you, it was the Low end Linksys mesh :s22:

Good thread as fate would have it, with the lock down still in place, more average family folks are looking into better solution to work from home and study from home

Posted from PCWX using iPhone12,5

BradenHeat

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Though the suggested answer is very good, I would throw in this

Get the 3 node ax mesh systems

Expensive AF but long haul is gonna be easier

Orrrrrrr you might consider asking some of the bros here for “pro Summer” AP =:p :o

stephenbishop

Reaction score
Though the suggested answer is very good, I would throw in this

Get the 3 node ax mesh systems

Expensive AF but long haul is gonna be easier

Orrrrrrr you might consider asking some of the bros here for “pro Summer” AP =:p :o

Which 3 node AX mesh systems do you have in mind?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which 3 node AX mesh systems do you have in mind?

I assume you already got the Asus GT-AX11000, right?

If not you can consider cheaper RT-AX88U as the main router. Then add mesh nodes.

2* RT-AX82U AX5400 if you want to be more future proof as it has 4*4 AX 160 MHz support for 5GHz band.

2* RT-AX58U AX3000 is good enough for now. It has 2*2 AX 160 MHz support for 5GHz band.

Currently all AX devices are 2*2.

If you have not got AX11000, you can also consider 3 * Zenwifi XT8.

stephenbishop

Reaction score
I assume you already got the Asus GT-AX11000, right?

If not you can consider cheaper RT-AX88U as the main router. Then add mesh nodes.

2* RT-AX82U AX5400 if you want to be more future proof as it has 4*4 AX 160 MHz support for 5GHz band.

2* RT-AX58U AX3000 is good enough for now. It has 2*2 AX 160 MHz support for 5GHz band.

Currently all AX devices are 2*2.

If you have not got AX11000, you can also consider 3 * Zenwifi XT8.

Yes, xiofan- I bought GT-AX11000 a couple of months ago- got a decent price with platform discounts, etc from Shopee.

Your recommendations above are all if I have not got the GT-AX11000? What would be the best option if I already have the GT-AX11000? 2* RT-AX82U AX5400 if I want to be more future proof and don't mind paying a little more?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, xiaofan- I bought GT-AX11000 a couple of months ago- got a decent price with platform discounts, etc from Shopee.

Your recommendations above are all if I have not got the GT-AX11000? What would be the best option if I already have the GT-AX11000? 2* RT-AX82U AX5400 if I want to be more future proof and don't mind paying a little more?

Yes I will say 2* RT-AX82U will be a good match for you in this case.

Just want to double check your network configuration. Hopefully you are not using Singtel ONR.

Idealy:
ONT -- AX11000 in first storey living room -- patch panel in living room -- LAN ports in 2nd/3rd storey-- RT-AX82U in 2nd/3rd storey

More complicated case:
ONT in DB box -- patch panel in DB box -- LAN port 1 in first storey living room -- AX11000 -- LAN port 2 in first storey living room -- patch panel in DB box -- switch (you need to buy a switch) in DB box -- LAN ports in 2nd/3rd storey-- RT-AX82U in 2nd/3rd storey

stephenbishop

Reaction score
Yes I will say 2* RT-AX82U will be a good match for you in this case.

Just want to double check your network configuration. Hopefully you are not using Singtel ONR.

Idealy:
ONT -- AX11000 in first storey living room -- patch panel in living room -- LAN ports in 2nd/3rd storey-- RT-AX82U in 2nd/3rd storey

More complicated case:
ONT in DB box -- patch panel in DB box -- LAN port 1 in first storey living room -- AX11000 -- LAN port 2 in first storey living room -- patch panel in DB box -- switch (you need to buy a switch) in DB box -- LAN ports in 2nd/3rd storey-- RT-AX82U in 2nd/3rd storey

I am using a Singtel ZTE ONR which functions as an ONT.

I have a fairly challenging setup as the premises is large. In addition to the main router, I am currently using 6 APs (yes 6- 3 Singtel Airties in AP mode, 1 Singtel Airties in AP mode meshed with one of the Singtel Airties in AP mode, and 2 old Asus AC68 routers now doing AP duty) all sharing the same SSID but not in a mesh config (except for 1 Airties AP meshed with another Airties AP). It works okay as, for the most part I do not notice the dropouts but wireless speeds are not great.

The premises has quite a few gigabit ethernet wall connectors all going back to switches in the DB room which connect to the router which connects to the ONR in ONT mode.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using a Singtel ZTE ONR which functions as an ONT.

I have a fairly challenging setup as the premises is large. In addition to the main router, I am currently using 6 APs (yes 6- 3 Singtel Airties in AP mode, 1 Singtel Airties in AP mode meshed with one of the Singtel Airties in AP mode, and 2 old Asus AC68 routers now doing AP duty) all sharing the same SSID but not in a mesh config (except for 1 Airties AP meshed with another Airties AP). It works okay as, for the most part I do not notice the dropouts but wireless speeds are not great.

The premises has quite a few gigabit ethernet wall connectors all going back to switches in the DB room which connect to the router which connects to the ONR in ONT mode.

I see. It is good that you already have the infrastructure ready including the switch in the DB Room.

You can always try the AX11000 plus two AX82U to form AIMesh first. Then you can still add more AX82U or RT-AX58U if needed.

In fact you can still reuse your AC68U as well as it supports AIMesh.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.