Huawei AX3 Pro - Anyone bought and tried?

JuXn5566

Reaction score
Huawei AX3 Pro tear down: both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band have amplifiers.
https://root-nation.com/en/other-en/net-en/en-huawei-wifi-ax3-review/
Tear down picture for AX3 Quad Core Global version (WS7200-30), it is not very clear. I am searching for an article with proper picture and amplifier IC name. But from what I read in the thread, indeed the HW components used should be the same as the China version AX3 Pro (WS7200-20), which means there are external RF front end amplifiers for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/support-for-huawei-ax3-pro/66551/91

There is at least two version of the AX3 Quad Core Global.
WS7200-20 (CE)
  • Power: 12V DC, 1A
  • Power consumption: <12W
  • Input voltage: 100-240V AC
  • Input voltage frequency: 50-60 Hz
WS7200-30 (FCC)
  • Power: 12V DC, 2A
  • Power consumption: <24W
  • Input voltage: 100-240V AC
  • The frequency of the input voltage: 50–60 Hz
The one Singapore is selling is WS7200-20.
https://www.courts.com.sg/huawei-hw-ws7200-20-white-wifi-ax3-quad-core-3000mbps-ip166734https://www.amazon.sg/HW-WS7200-20-Quad-core-Revolution-Wireless-3000Mbps/dp/B08HHZ7V7X
As for the tear down comparison...
AX3 Pro China (WS7200):
wyoUIF5.jpg

AX3 Quad Core Global (WS7200-20):
YlbwtdO.jpg

If you look closely near to the 2.4GHz Antenna area, you will notice WS7200-20 is actually missing two IC. The missing IC number is 85333-11 which is a 2.4GHz amplifier.

For sake of comparison, here is AX3 non pro China (WS7100) and it doesn't have 5GHz amplifier:
gfxjfC3.jpg

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Your info is in line with what I read before. Somehow there is another global version WS7200-30 which seems to have the 2.4GHz amplifier.

So WS7200-20 is the local global version and does not have the 2.4GHz amplifier.

In any case, unless you are a SingTel ONT user, I will not recommend buying the local version.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Your info is in line with what I read before. Somehow there is another global version WS7200-30 which seems to have the 2.4GHz amplifier.

So WS7200-20 is the local global version and does not have the 2.4GHz amplifier.

In any case, unless you are a SingTel ONT user, I will not recommend buying the local version.
Global version has VLAN support right?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Global version has VLAN support right?

Yes, it is only useful for SingTel ONT users.

I have the China version of Huawei AX3 Pro. It can be a pretty decent AP. I can not use it as my main router since I am a SingTel ONT user.

Anyway, I am using Asus RT-AX82U as my main router and AX3 Pro is acting as a wireless bridge for me.

limpingsim98

Reaction score
Huawei AX3 Pro tear down: both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band have amplifiers.
https://root-nation.com/en/other-en/net-en/en-huawei-wifi-ax3-review/
Tear down picture for AX3 Quad Core Global version (WS7200-30), it is not very clear. I am searching for an article with proper picture and amplifier IC name. But from what I read in the thread, indeed the HW components used should be the same as the China version AX3 Pro (WS7200-20), which means there are external RF front end amplifiers for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/support-for-huawei-ax3-pro/66551/91
Think few thread back someone mention about the chip number. I check up the chip manufacturer. It is actually a front end switching unit. Vs use as a amplifier. I saw the hardware picture. The chip actually connect both 5G and 2.4G signal. My feeling is it is "sharing" the 5G and 2.4G antenna.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The SKY85333-11 is a highly integrated, 2.4 GHz front-end module (FEM) incorporating a 2.4 GHz single-pole, double-throw (SPDT) transmit/receive (T/R) switch, a 2.4 GHz high-gain lownoise amplifier (LNA) with bypass, and a 2.4 GHz power amplifier (PA) intended for high-power 802.11ax applications and systems.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The SKY85333-11 is a highly integrated, 2.4 GHz front-end module (FEM) incorporating a 2.4 GHz single-pole, double-throw (SPDT) transmit/receive (T/R) switch, a 2.4 GHz high-gain lownoise amplifier (LNA) with bypass, and a 2.4 GHz power amplifier (PA) intended for high-power 802.11ax applications and systems.

The issue is that local AX3 Global Version (WS7200-20) does not seem to have the two 2.4GHz FEM based on the reports, even though the other global version WS7200-30 does seem to have the 2.4GHz FEM.

My opinion remains: do not buy local global version, unless you are Singtel ONT users, or you intend to buy two to form a mesh, as the 2.4GHz coverage may not be good.

Last edited:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The issue is that local AX3 Global Version (WS7200-20) does not see to have the two 2.4GHz FEM based on the reports, even though the other global version WS7200-30 does seem to have the 2.4GHz FEM.

My opinion remains: do not buy local global version, unless you are Singtel ONT users, or you intend to buy two to form a mesh, as the 2.4GHz coverage may not be good.
Think the global version firmware does not support mesh but repeater mode only.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think the global version firmware does not support mesh but repeater mode only.

Hmm, that can not be true as it has the Hi-Link button. It should be able to mesh with itself.

But I do not have the global version, I only have the China version AX3 Pro and China version of WS5200 Quad Core version. I can form a mesh.

Do you have AX3 Quad Core version?

Edit to add:
Huawei Global site says AX3 Quad Core (Global version) supports Mesh.
The HUAWEI WiFi AX3 supports wireless networking, network cable networking, and the hybrid networking of wireless and network cables. After networking, multiple routers are automatically grouped under one Wi-Fi name, and the optimal Wi-Fi is automatically selected based on the device's location. The HUAWEI WiFi AX3 can network with old HUAWEI Wi-Fi routers (with H button) to expand network coverage at home.

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/routers/ax3-quad-core/

Last edited:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm, that can not be true as it has the Hi-Link button. It should be able to mesh with itself.

But I do not have the global version, I only have the China version AX3 Pro and China version of WS5200 Quad Core version. I can form a mesh.

Do you have AX3 Quad Core version?

Edit to add:
Huawei Global site says AX3 Quad Core (Global version) supports Mesh.
The HUAWEI WiFi AX3 supports wireless networking, network cable networking, and the hybrid networking of wireless and network cables. After networking, multiple routers are automatically grouped under one Wi-Fi name, and the optimal Wi-Fi is automatically selected based on the device's location. The HUAWEI WiFi AX3 can network with old HUAWEI Wi-Fi routers (with H button) to expand network coverage at home.

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/routers/ax3-quad-core/
Don't have, but play with the firmware menu with Huawei store machine. Can only see the repeater setup menu and no mesh setup menu.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't have, but play with the firmware menu with Huawei store machine. Can only see the repeater setup menu and no mesh setup menu.
There is no menu options I remember from the web GUI. Just click the H button will do.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is no menu options I remember from the web GUI. Just click the H button will do.

Huawei HiLink Mesh
https://consumer.huawei.com/en/routers/hilink-mesh/
More detailed instruction example: same for AX3 Global version, or AX3 Pro/AX3 China version. If you have SG Region of Huawei AI Life app, you will only see the SG region of Huawei routers like AX3 Global version. If you have China region of Huawei AI Life app, then you will see AX3 Pro/AX3 China version. For most of the users, it is just easier to use the H button. And to be safe, buy only routers from the same region to form HiLink Mesh.
https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/content/en-us00755682/https://consumer.huawei.com/eg-en/support/content/en-us11307414/
Huawei does not seem to support HiLink Mesh in AP mode, but based on my testing it actually works, just need to form HiLink Mesh in the normal way (main node in router mode), and then switch the main node to AP mode.

SandMan

Reaction score

Singaporeans First

Reaction score

SandMan

Reaction score
Yup I got the case fan too but unfortunately it couldn't solve my overheat issue. Heatsink solved the problem. In fact heatsink is so effective that I've now moved the ax3pro into enclosed db closet to hide it without problems.

jorje22

Reaction score
I hope all the master here can help me.

I got myself a AX3 (dual core, non-pro) from TB. ISP is M1 using the Huawei ONT. I cannot cannot access to Internet by connecting the LAN port of the ONT direct to the AX3 LAN port. It can only work now by connecting from ONT to my TP Link router then to AX3. By using this method I am able to access to the AX3 web management page. Tried changing from DHCP to bridge (AP) mode without success. Are there any other settings to set on the AX3 or problem lies with the M1 ONT.

Anyone can advise how can I connect direct from ONT to my AX3 without going through my TP Link router?

hairymonster

Reaction score
I hope all the master here can help me.

I got myself a AX3 (dual core, non-pro) from TB. ISP is M1 using the Huawei ONT. I cannot cannot access to Internet by connecting the LAN port of the ONT direct to the AX3 LAN port. It can only work now by connecting from ONT to my TP Link router then to AX3. By using this method I am able to access to the AX3 web management page. Tried changing from DHCP to bridge (AP) mode without success. Are there any other settings to set on the AX3 or problem lies with the M1 ONT.

Anyone can advise how can I connect direct from ONT to my AX3 without going through my TP Link router?
Request to M1 that you want to change your main router. They will ask you for your new router mac address. Give them the ax3 mac address.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.