Huawei P40 Series

davidwong

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,739
Reaction score
0
Bro it’s not a static answer each time it’s been patch it may break gms and then the previous way to sideload of gms may not already

But I will let other bro who has the latest gms working on the latest emui/ hms to answer you on that

Any issues with Google services using Huawei phone?
 

only_lonely

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
18,871
Reaction score
1,746
Bro it’s not a static answer each time it’s been patch it may break gms and then the previous way to sideload of gms may not already

But I will let other bro who has the latest gms working on the latest emui/ hms to answer you on that

I haven't buy the phone and this is the only concern. Saw the GSM patch steps tedious long.
 

tanby1413

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I am using p40p+ now. Awesome excellent phone!
(this is my choice after using S20Ultra, find X2 pro, m30p, p40p & iPhoneXSproMax)

I had side-loaded (I am techie enough so why not).
Google is consciously making it harder harder to do so although, personally, I still find it easy enough. However, you have to manage your expectations!
The real challenge is on 2 aspects after side-loading:

1) Apps using google map APIs.
-some will work with side load (like Grab)
-others will not (like Fave, Foodpanda, Deliveroo)
*take note that the apps work, just not the map or location pinpointing portion
-there are workarounds by utilizing internet browsers

2)Notifications issues with app using Google API
(not a lot of discussion about this currently but this is the most painful roadblock now)
-the apps work, just that you will not be getting notifications
-Singpass cannot work due to this
-all apps that uses Google api for notification (like slack for e.g and a lot of apps out there, govn apps are almost all on this api as well) will not or wont work well (app launch setting tweaks will not help)
*apps like whatsapp, telegram, wechat, etc don't uses google api for notifications luckily (so app launch settings will help)
**There are workarounds and I had managed to get passed (most, not all) this notification issue so my Singpass & Slack are working.
Trace together still refuses to work...lol.
(sorry, I am not posting any guides because they are not fool-proof or 100% working, go research and do it at your own risk. I am still in the midst of trial and error as well.)

However, the workaround may or may not messed up your google based mapping functions and certain apps that uses google notification API might still not work

So in conclusion, there will be inconveniences and things will probably get worse on the google side of things (seeing that Google is making progressive effort to lock down their licensed services) if you go the GMS route.

Solution:
-HMS get enough traction to push all apps makers to go HMS api or 3rd party neutral api
-USA reconcile with China (T_T) for the greater good of global economy
(Dont fight during covid lah, its a lose-lose)

Do not get the wrong idea that I am bashing the phone. No point sugar coating. Use the info above to manage your expectations.
P40p+ is my primary phone now (& highly likely for the rest of 2020 at least) and I love it.
I am fairly google reliant (my company is on google services =p) and so far, with some efforts, I live by with some minor inconveniences.
...and I am prepared to further tinker on in time...
Android is an open source afterall
Bro, on item 2) "Notifications issues with app using Google API. ....-Singpass cannot work due to this". Can share your workarounds or advise where to go research for solution? Otherwise PM me, ok?
 

99heyho

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,123
Reaction score
0
Anyone can recommend a good and cheap phone case for p40 pro? prefer to buy online. thank you!
 

dingdung

Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2005
Messages
416
Reaction score
1
Last edited:

only_lonely

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
18,871
Reaction score
1,746
I tried GSM and cannot activate it.
Anybody can share the guide how to enable Google services?
 

Yuripa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
18,425
Reaction score
3,468
I followed the similiar one.
Cannot activate.
很抱歉,当前不支持该设备

Check to make sure your firmware can sideload GMS.

If not, then have to wait for new sideload methods.

When you check YouTube videos for sideloading, make sure you view the latest videos.

Posted from PCWX using GAGT
 

only_lonely

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
18,871
Reaction score
1,746
Check to make sure your firmware can sideload GMS.

If not, then have to wait for new sideload methods.

When you check YouTube videos for sideloading, make sure you view the latest videos.

Posted from PCWX using GAGT

Already tried many method. Mine emui is 10.1
All stuck at the Google assistant. Can't even see activate button.
With data and app cloned from my old Huawei phone, I only need grab, gojek, drive works. The rest works good.
Will try a few more methods. If failed, anybody wanted to buy it PM me.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top