iPhone 7/iPhone 7 Plus #Hissgate?

IIRedsunsII

Banned
Joined
Apr 23, 2001
Messages
4,463
Reaction score
1,510
I ran 3dmark icestorm extreme benchmark. The hiss is totally inaudible unless you purposely put yr ear to the back of the phone. And this only happens under extreme load like running a benchmark and you purposely put yr ear to hear it.
It cant be heard at all unless you go to extreme to find it.

I dont think its a problem at all. Some ppl are just overreacting on the net.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,322
Reaction score
6,583
It's the same issue like in coil whine inside graphic card.
 

stix

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2000
Messages
2,187
Reaction score
2
Anyone managed to change the phone? Is it a brand new boxed set?
 

chanbri

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2007
Messages
1,205
Reaction score
21
Run geekbench and sure can here. I don't hear it everytime I run Antutu
 

Conan1986

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
6,544
Reaction score
79
I thought that the #hissgate was a non-issue for me, it was very soft and only audible when placing the Apple logo beside my ear when I run the benchmarks like most people. However, I've tried recording videos in all resolutions and even for Live Photos, there is a considerably louder environmental noise in a silent room with nothing switched on. The noise is high pitched throughout so it might be the device producing this effect. Older Live Photos taken with 6s was nice and quiet compared to the 7 Plus as well..

I used my iPad to do the same recording and no such noise was present, it was nice and silent. I've airdropped the video I took with the 7 Plus to the iPad to confirm if its the speaker of the 7 Plus having more clarity but the noise is still very audible on the iPad..

Right now kinda disappointed with this issue but I'll have to see how much it'll affect the experience on a daily usage before deciding if it goes back to Apple.
 

newbish

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
1,999
Reaction score
4
I thought that the #hissgate was a non-issue for me, it was very soft and only audible when placing the Apple logo beside my ear when I run the benchmarks like most people. However, I've tried recording videos in all resolutions and even for Live Photos, there is a considerably louder environmental noise in a silent room with nothing switched on. The noise is high pitched throughout so it might be the device producing this effect. Older Live Photos taken with 6s was nice and quiet compared to the 7 Plus as well..

I used my iPad to do the same recording and no such noise was present, it was nice and silent. I've airdropped the video I took with the 7 Plus to the iPad to confirm if its the speaker of the 7 Plus having more clarity but the noise is still very audible on the iPad..

Right now kinda disappointed with this issue but I'll have to see how much it'll affect the experience on a daily usage before deciding if it goes back to Apple.

Just to confirm is it white noise, or hiss? Mine (week 37) has lots of white noise, not the same high pitch hiss that the CPU makes. Some users do get the hiss. Those are unfortunate. Still, not liking how loud the white noise is.

For comparison, I tried on a iPhone 6 recording in the same quiet room, both videos produces white noise, just louder on the iPhone 7+. Might be due to having more mic.
 

Conan1986

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
6,544
Reaction score
79
Just to confirm is it white noise, or hiss? Mine (week 37) has lots of white noise, not the same high pitch hiss that the CPU makes. Some users do get the hiss. Those are unfortunate. Still, not liking how loud the white noise is.

For comparison, I tried on a iPhone 6 recording in the same quiet room, both videos produces white noise, just louder on the iPhone 7+. Might be due to having more mic.
It might very well be white noise, I did hear the hissing itself which is very different from the high pitched white noise, though it was very much overpowered by the white noise itself. Still a terrible noise no matter what it is.. if I'm not mistaken, the number of mics remained the same from 6 to 7.. have yet to try recording with an "external mic" by attaching the stupid lightning EarPods but I wouldn't count that as a solution even if it works
 

newbish

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
1,999
Reaction score
4
It might very well be white noise, I did hear the hissing itself which is very different from the high pitched white noise, though it was very much overpowered by the white noise itself. Still a terrible noise no matter what it is.. if I'm not mistaken, the number of mics remained the same from 6 to 7.. have yet to try recording with an "external mic" by attaching the stupid lightning EarPods but I wouldn't count that as a solution even if it works

I'm on your side. Will get a replacement once I try a set which does not produce large amount of white noise.

I did some tests, I am able to produce a hissing/cpu sound in my video IF I cover the mic beside the camera with my finger. Without that, it is just white noise, which is the same for even past phones.

Is yours the same?
 

Conan1986

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
6,544
Reaction score
79
I'm on your side. Will get a replacement once I try a set which does not produce large amount of white noise.

I did some tests, I am able to produce a hissing/cpu sound in my video IF I cover the mic beside the camera with my finger. Without that, it is just white noise, which is the same for even past phones.

Is yours the same?
Yea our issues are the same. I think that when the rear microphone is covered, it starts picking up its internal noise much clearly.. kinda sucks. I would either live with it or go for a replacement at a much later date though as my 7 Plus is a week 39 production which means the issue might still exist for newly produced phones..
 

edm_11

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Messages
598
Reaction score
2
mine also hissing. I go stores like epi and nubox try they also emit hissing when i load a game.. have not tried on iphone 7 though but only plus versions
 

metamofia89

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
7,472
Reaction score
52
mine also hissing. I go stores like epi and nubox try they also emit hissing when i load a game.. have not tried on iphone 7 though but only plus versions

Did you get a replacement unit? Did Apple follow up on your issue?
 

Marcus19

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2016
Messages
873
Reaction score
1
I'm on your side. Will get a replacement once I try a set which does not produce large amount of white noise.

I did some tests, I am able to produce a hissing/cpu sound in my video IF I cover the mic beside the camera with my finger. Without that, it is just white noise, which is the same for even past phones.

Is yours the same?
Are you absolutely sure your fingers not moving at all? Slight movement at the mic grill will sure make sounds.

If normal use cannot hear, I'd ignore and don't even try listening...
 

GoToSea

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2008
Messages
961
Reaction score
0
u all got super hearing really, few years ago even got those people with super sight can differentiate the color gamut.
 

newbish

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
1,999
Reaction score
4
Are you absolutely sure your fingers not moving at all? Slight movement at the mic grill will sure make sounds.

If normal use cannot hear, I'd ignore and don't even try listening...

I can upload the video if you like, else you guys can try it out. Do a record in a quiet room normally. Next do a record with your finger blocking the mic beside the camera. There's a huge difference and the hissing is very whiny and audible.

I'm interested to know if there are phones out there that don't exhibit this symptom so that I know whether to go for an exchange or not.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top