iPhone 7/iPhone 7 Plus #Hissgate?

newbish

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
1,999
Reaction score
4
u all got super hearing really, few years ago even got those people with super sight can differentiate the color gamut.

Wide colour gamut is only introduced in iPhone 7, what do you mean by few years ago?
 

newbish

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
1,999
Reaction score
4
only concern is video recording esp 4K. will the hissing sound be recorded as well?

For those iPhone 7+ with hissing, including myself, hissing sound will not be recorded unless you cover up the mic that is beside the camera.

Videos attached below, first normal shooting, second shooting with mic covered. Sound is not from my fingers moving like people imagine.

No hissing


Hissing


(Turn up your volume if you don't hear it)
 

edm_11

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Messages
598
Reaction score
2
Did you get a replacement unit? Did Apple follow up on your issue?

I went QCD. They listened and said its not normal. There is no stock for 256gb 7plus matte black. they say once stocks come in will call me down for replacement. I doubt the stock will also be the same

Sianzzz no official word from apple yet
 

metamofia89

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
7,472
Reaction score
52
I can upload the video if you like, else you guys can try it out. Do a record in a quiet room normally. Next do a record with your finger blocking the mic beside the camera. There's a huge difference and the hissing is very whiny and audible.

I'm interested to know if there are phones out there that don't exhibit this symptom so that I know whether to go for an exchange or not.

I do have the hissing on my 7 as well. If I record a 4K video in a very silent room, the clicking noise can be heard which accompanied a hiss and static noise. It's not the baseline noise, it is the hiss.

I went to MacRumors and it seems like it's a widespread issue after all. Two senior advisors told me 2 different things. I won't bother checking with them anymore. Apparently for us, it's up to the ASP to repair or replace. Apple cannot overpower them, for some reason. I'm not sure if I should be angry or confused.
 

newbish

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
1,999
Reaction score
4
Update: I tried on an iPhone 7, record 4K, no hissing sound recorded using the same method.. Waiting for more people to try.

@edm_11: The hissing you show the people at QCD is to listen at the Apple logo?
 

oyama85

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
1,186
Reaction score
0
Just play a youtube video, put mute, see if you can hear any hissing sound at the apple logo area. Put next to your ear, do remove your case.

Its ez to hear on mine, in a silent room. Tested mine in shop, no problem, go home then can hear. Sigh. T-T
 

blues7

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
30,535
Reaction score
1,596
Oh dear

Too eager to order iPhone

Forget about hissing sound problem when order online

How?

Hope no such problem

:(
 

runestyx

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2003
Messages
899
Reaction score
29
I ordered 1, it had hiss. The hiss is slightly above the apple logo, heard under heavy load. Wondering for those who heard hiss, have you heard of any iPhone 7/plus without any hiss?
 

newbish

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
1,999
Reaction score
4
I ordered 1, it had hiss. The hiss is slightly above the apple logo, heard under heavy load. Wondering for those who heard hiss, have you heard of any iPhone 7/plus without any hiss?

Yes, have tried on an iPhone 7 without audible hiss, but I'm pretty sure the hiss would be audible if I amplify the Apple Logo.

So if your hiss requires you to listen with the Apple Logo right against your ears, don't think it's an issue unless it gets recorded by the camera under normal conditions. (Test in quiet room. Note white noise is not hiss!)
 

BenZiii

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2016
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
I had try all sort of method to replicate the issue.
But I dun seem to notice this issue.
Nonetheless, I got apple care + as protection hence not too worry about it.
 

quantumhz

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
57
Reaction score
2
Is there anything conclusive regards to whether this is a 1) hw or 2) sw or a 3) hw & sw issue ?
 

newbish

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
1,999
Reaction score
4
Is there anything conclusive regards to whether this is a 1) hw or 2) sw or a 3) hw & sw issue ?

HW issue if you have an audible coilwhine sound even without placing your phone directly at your ear.

Doesn't affect phone performance but might be recorded in videos.
 

Conan1986

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
6,544
Reaction score
79
Is there anything conclusive regards to whether this is a 1) hw or 2) sw or a 3) hw & sw issue ?

this is definitely a hardware issue.. of course Apple can release an update to downclock its A10 on the 7+ which will minimize the issue, but that would be counter productive as not all 7+ suffers a loud hissing issue..

I can confirm that the hiss is softer on mine when I turn on low power mode, which limits the clockspeed of the CPU but I would definitely not want it to be downclocked permanently

anyways, you guys can run this benchmark on Safari to check if your device hisses loudly

https://developers.google.com/octane/
 

yongjing05

Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Messages
456
Reaction score
0
For me I just ran the test. Seems fine like no sound
Mine is iphone 7 128gb gold.
Do u mind to list down the model and Color plus memory?? I was thinking could it be Colour and model plus memory specific?
 

chanbri

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2007
Messages
1,205
Reaction score
21
This is prominently in iPhone 7 plus. I have a 256gb Black and I have notice it too. My friend has a 32gb silver 7+ and also have the issue. Another friend with iPhone 7 Black don't have it
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top