Is it really over for Intel®?

Intel is ...

  • dead man walking, soon to be buried

    Votes: 58 50.9%
  • will bounce back, buyed Intc at $10 sure huat!

    Votes: 56 49.1%

  • Total voters
    114

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
To early to tell how good or how bad Intel 18A will be.

Even the above article mentioned the following.


That being said, personally I think Intel should indeed split and Intel Product will still be a good company with good future. Intel Foundry will still be able to stay afloat with the help of the US Government but I tend to think it will difficult to be able to compete with TSMC or even Samsung any time soon.
I feel there is so much you can do if the yield is poor. If it is rumored at 10% now, I am not sure how easy it will be to raise it to something like 60% in 6 months to a year. If you look at Samsung's fab, they have been struggling with poor yield for a number of years now, and don't seem to have a way out of it even today. I don't think the rumor is that far off because even Broadcom also mentioned about the poor yield with Intel 20A that will likely impact any derivative of it, i.e. 18A.

That's why I always think that Pat's strategy to focus on Intel's foundry business is a very bad mistake. Their foundry business will certainly ensure that the government will bail it out (so it is like a safety net) if it tanks, but it will result in continuous financial bleeding, especially when their fab yield is not good and there is no significant customers signing up for it.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,322
Reaction score
6,583
Combination of many things. 200S also from TSMC you see how it performs in gaming. Now intel is fighting fire on their 200S. I just got news that ASrock is working on a update to improve 200S performance.

Still... i went with a 265K and a Z890. I hope intel at least try to fix what went wrong. lol.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Combination of many things. 200S also from TSMC you see how it performs in gaming. Now intel is fighting fire on their 200S. I just got news that ASrock is working on a update to improve 200S performance.

Still... i went with a 265K and a Z890. I hope intel at least try to fix what went wrong. lol.
I am looking forward to see what Intel can do to salvage the situation, but if motherboard makers are trying to do some optimization, I rather they don't do it. So far, "optimization" by motherboard makers tends to mess with voltage and overclocking, which is not ideal. After all, they don't design the chip to understand the ins and outs of how it works, and so the only way they "optimize" it is by brute force.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I vote for no more e core
I agree. But given the direction to stop using HT/SMT, the only way ahead to make up for the lack of threads will be to leverage on these cheaper E cores. To be honest, I am not sure if having to design both the P and E cores is actually cost effective from an R&D standpoint though.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,028
Reaction score
8,285
I agree. But given the direction to stop using HT/SMT, the only way ahead to make up for the lack of threads will be to leverage on these cheaper E cores. To be honest, I am not sure if having to design both the P and E cores is actually cost effective from an R&D standpoint though.

Intel should just go back to having HT and using real cores.

What's the point of marketing 24 core, when 16 (66.67%) of them are fake?

The worst part is that they expect Microsoft and Software Developers to come up with a plan to fully leverage their unconventional design.. you see that time where they make some manual or instructions and send them out lol.
 

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
20,354
Reaction score
10,222
some are asking for 32-48 e-cores because ARL ecores are very good already, design by famous isreal team.

ARL problem is mainly in games because of the chiplet latency

Intel 200s cpu are very strong, just not good for games :o
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,322
Reaction score
6,583
I am looking forward to see what Intel can do to salvage the situation, but if motherboard makers are trying to do some optimization, I rather they don't do it. So far, "optimization" by motherboard makers tends to mess with voltage and overclocking, which is not ideal. After all, they don't design the chip to understand the ins and outs of how it works, and so the only way they "optimize" it is by brute force.
ASrock knows what they are doing, hence i went with them. Anyway, intel fix should also carry thru bios update so it's alright.
 
Last edited:

philips107

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2002
Messages
1,096
Reaction score
733
I can mod this forum better and faster with the 265K.
If you are using Anaconda/python/pandas/numpy, Intel CPUs are much faster than Ryzens.

This is because the default math library used by Anaconda for Linear Algebra is the Intel Math Kernel Library (MKL), which unsurprisingly is optimized for Intel CPUs.
 
Last edited:

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,271
Reaction score
12,286
i still thinking if i should invest in intc, or amd.. which one has potential to be multi trillion company? 🥱

Maybe neither one.

IMHO AVGO (Broadcom) and QCOM (Qualcomm) may have better chance to become a trillion company in the future.

AMD may have higher market value than Qualcomm now, but personally I feel Qualcomm has better potential down the road.

Not into stock market though, it is said 80% of the people are losing money.
 

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
20,354
Reaction score
10,222
50-industry-resumes-1.png


Its over for intel. :o
Can’t believe still Pat was forced out at the last stretch
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top