Is it really over for Intel®?

Intel is ...

  • dead man walking, soon to be buried

    Votes: 58 50.9%
  • will bounce back, buyed Intc at $10 sure huat!

    Votes: 56 49.1%

  • Total voters
    114

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,349
Reaction score
1,503
Some kits are starting to have pads on the pmic. One OC friend got the 7200c36 24x2 mdie gskill kit and it had pads for the pmic. Still, feel it's quite stupid they didn't include it in the first place. Not sure if all future sticks will have them.
Yeah man totally stupid.
The only reason I am still using Gskill is because it seems to work better with Asus boards. The Teamgroup I tried once with my Apex was such a hardball. Alot of timings when lowered had weird stability issues even with increased voltage. Needed to loosen it quite abit to get it to work in which case I just went with Gskill and tore it down and blocked it and it's been golden. I really do not think the addition of the PMIC pad on Gskill will be a night and day as the adhesive they use to secure the sticks on the NAND is horrible. Totally close to no thermal transfer.
 

matique

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2017
Messages
797
Reaction score
786
Yeah man totally stupid.
The only reason I am still using Gskill is because it seems to work better with Asus boards. The Teamgroup I tried once with my Apex was such a hardball. Alot of timings when lowered had weird stability issues even with increased voltage. Needed to loosen it quite abit to get it to work in which case I just went with Gskill and tore it down and blocked it and it's been golden. I really do not think the addition of the PMIC pad on Gskill will be a night and day as the adhesive they use to secure the sticks on the NAND is horrible. Totally close to no thermal transfer.

Makes sense, since asus works closely with gskill, their sticks would be more compatible. For us that block ram, it doesn't matter much anyway since we would blocking it and using our own pads haha. your 8600 tune is very nice! More than fast enough. It's been over a year since i touched my ram timings etc, it's been rock stable so i don't bother with it.
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,349
Reaction score
1,503
Thanks! Yeah man same sentiments. I've not even updated my bios still on 9905 which is last year. New BIOS seems to be much more aggressive in observing powerlimit even if you switch it off. Plus you can no longer disable C-states on all the new BIOS. It is also arse to retune the memory on the new BIOS. I don't want to waste time doing that. If it's working, don't fix it. 8600 is plenty to see me through so far with everything I throw at it. 😁
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,035
Reaction score
8,286
I found the video I saw months back, Gskill actually does have PMIC pads installed for the CKD rams. Its the annoying glue thats the issue, V-color kits just come off without requiring anything.


he use the metal spudger also left marks inside the heatsink lol

when it comes to this kind u need to keep the heat on the ram while applying, he took his hair dryer away after heating.
 

fkchon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
932
Reaction score
466
he use the metal spudger also left marks inside the heatsink lol

when it comes to this kind u need to keep the heat on the ram while applying, he took his hair dryer away after heating.
lol he does it soaking in isopropyl alcohol and hairdryer, seems easier to just soak the ram huh
 

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271

fkchon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
932
Reaction score
466
Buy from world.taobao.com or app edition is always cheaper. Do picture/screenshot search of product.
Key in SG address it will liaise with their official forwarders, pay the fee and GST that's it. AliExpress is for the collective west.
wow thanks for that bought!

8yguDcZ.png


I always thought it was annoying to order off taobao because you needed to find a manual freight forwarder, didn't know its automatic.
 
Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
Thanks! Yeah man same sentiments. I've not even updated my bios still on 9905 which is last year. New BIOS seems to be much more aggressive in observing powerlimit even if you switch it off. Plus you can no longer disable C-states on all the new BIOS. It is also arse to retune the memory on the new BIOS. I don't want to waste time doing that. If it's working, don't fix it. 8600 is plenty to see me through so far with everything I throw at it. 😁
I think G.Skill has quite abit of custom PCB than reference based PCBs. So ease of training and its auto ODT/slope preset may be optimal or very suboptimal depending on MB vendor.
 

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
wow thanks for that bought!

8yguDcZ.png


I always thought it was annoying to order off taobao because you needed to find a manual freight forwarder, didn't know its automatic.
They will have a list along with estimated turnaround and fees, self collect point vs home delivery. After in-app arrangement its just waiting for item. GST is accounted for.
 

fkchon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
932
Reaction score
466
They will have a list along with estimated turnaround and fees, self collect point vs home delivery. After in-app arrangement its just waiting for item. GST is accounted for.
yeah that screenshot is all the fees included, so I paid less than aliexpress and I got the barrow leak tester in the order as well (I think watercool.de wanted 30 euro or something)
 

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
yeah that screenshot is all the fees included, so I paid less than aliexpress and I got the barrow leak tester in the order as well (I think watercool.de wanted 30 euro or something)
Checkout shows intl card fee etc, shipping is usually free domestically.

When the product has reached the official forwarder, there's shipping fee + GST which will be quite inexpensive.
Wait for all items to get registered in that section of the app (ready to fwd to sg) before paying shipping + GST, if not it will arrive in multiple bags if you have many items.
 

fkchon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
932
Reaction score
466
Checkout shows intl card fee etc, shipping is usually free domestically.

When the product has reached the official forwarder, there's shipping fee + GST which will be quite inexpensive.
Wait for all items to get registered in that section of the app (ready to fwd to sg) before paying shipping + GST, if not it will arrive in multiple bags if you have many items.
I think maybe more streamlined now, it shows on the screenshot its 0 shipping within china, and then 69 rmb for international shipping and tax is separate. When I was ordering it, there was an option called "Direct shipping - Air" which I assume goes directly to SG.
 

matique

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2017
Messages
797
Reaction score
786
thoughts on this if I was to go block my ram? https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005006385094033.html, its got a good sale going on atm
Check forums whether it is compatible with your board. Z890 Apex and x870e Apex don't support the standard 2 slot spacing, iirc unify-x also does not support. This flow through ram block is strictly 1dpc traditional spacing, unlike the older iceman ddr5 ram block where you can slide apart the ram a little.
 

fkchon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
932
Reaction score
466
Just saw a whole bunch of Chinese tech media talk about Intel Performance Optimization. It seems to be a preset that easily tunes the entire system.

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/30495519303

Theres also been a recent price drop on 265K/KF chip, so the cost to entry for this platform is now greatly reduced, coupled together with a good Mini ITX board like Asrock Z890i Nova won't even break $900 SGD.
6xzLCxC.jpeg
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,321
Reaction score
6,582
Yes, 265K now has a --S$50 drop liao. Just get the K, dun bother with the KF cpu.
 

fkchon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
932
Reaction score
466
The ram sinks and block from taobao are here, all I need is to see whether there will be a sale for Mora end of the month.

no6tB6T.png
 

matique

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2017
Messages
797
Reaction score
786
Watercool only conducts sales towards the end of the year traditionally, around 10-15% at most. Do consider cost of mora w/ accessories, add on shipping and GST cost. And then perhaps check local distributor Hydrocore to see if the local availability is there and if price is comparable. Ofcourse price would be slightly higher for your convenience, but you won't have to wait too long for it too.

I still think a mora for a cpu/ram combo is overkill, but it's your money lol do what makes you happy.
 

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
Even without attaching the tubings (running waterblock passively) all that surface area and copper already provides a significant thermal improvement
 

fkchon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
932
Reaction score
466
I could try just putting on the sinks on the ram but since this is a WC block and theres actually channels for fluid thats supposed to go inside wouldn't that make air cooling worse performance?

The mora upgrade isn't all for performance its also to reduce the noise level from the fans, I could possibly just get a smaller mora but since I'm getting one why not, just go for the bigger one.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top