Is it really over for Intel®?

Intel is ...

  • dead man walking, soon to be buried

    Votes: 58 50.9%
  • will bounce back, buyed Intc at $10 sure huat!

    Votes: 56 49.1%

  • Total voters
    114

fkchon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
931
Reaction score
466
Try swapping the sticks around the slots and try again.
Always use the lower serial number closer to the CPU then the other one next to it.

If still have errors, likely you need to tune IMC Voltage and TX Voltage to get it to work.
Also, try reducing your SA down abit as I heard the default SA for 285K is pretty high.
Yeah I had the sticks with lower serial number closer to the GPU from the start and tried swapping them around too.

Initially I tried VCCSA 1.3 (what I normally use on the Apex) and also tried auto. Just gets orange light then red light won't post. Swapped back to the Biwin non CUDIMM kits and it just works.

Tried clear cmos and just loading XMP also doesn't work.
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,342
Reaction score
1,491
Yeah I had the sticks with lower serial number closer to the GPU from the start and tried swapping them around too.

Initially I tried VCCSA 1.3 (what I normally use on the Apex) and also tried auto. Just gets orange light then red light won't post. Swapped back to the Biwin non CUDIMM kits and it just works.

Tried clear cmos and just loading XMP also doesn't work.
Bios 1602 is crap.
Use 1501 posted by safedisk.
Here is the link. Switch to secondary bios and flash and start fresh.



If this doesn't work, means your CPU or board just can't handle it. But good chance it might as 1602 had alot of users downgrading back to 1501.
 

fkchon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
931
Reaction score
466
Bios 1602 is crap.
Use 1501 posted by safedisk.
Here is the link. Switch to secondary bios and flash and start fresh.



If this doesn't work, means your CPU or board just can't handle it. But good chance it might as 1602 had alot of users downgrading back to 1501.

It wouldn't explain a 8200 non CUDIMM kit running 8800C38 and this wouldn't though, but yeah I will try to downgrade to 1401 as I get some audio crackles with SPDIF running 1501 (fixed in 1602).
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,342
Reaction score
1,491
It wouldn't explain a 8200 non CUDIMM kit running 8800C38 and this wouldn't though, but yeah I will try to downgrade to 1401 as I get some audio crackles with SPDIF running 1501 (fixed in 1602).
Not sure about that but everyone I know is using 1501 as memory oc is better. But yeah try 1401 or 1501 and see if that works at least.
 

fkchon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
931
Reaction score
466
Downgraded to 1501, GSkill 8800 XMP boots in, instantly get hundreds of errors on TM5 though.

On side note new bios for Taichi OCF finally dropped, the last stable release was Nov 2024, took them 4 months to release something. Meanwhile my AMD board X670E-A gets more bios updates in 2 months than the entire Taichi OCF did in its life.

I will try to find out the max bootable single stick with Teamgroup and OCF soon, then strip off the stock coolers and put the ice mans on.
 

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
Taiwan Influenza A was very serious. There's a possibility bios team got swept out along with Nick Shih, since he mentioned he was sick for a long time.

Would give some benefit of the doubt and hopefully the bioses catches up.
 

fkchon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
931
Reaction score
466
Spent more time on Z890 Apex and the GSkill 8800 kit, 8800 no matter what I do its just not stable, 8600 needed 1.5v to stabilize. The same Teamgroup DIMM could do 8800 with 1.3v stable. I contacted Gskill to see what they say.
YwfsEol.png


Also updated firmware on Taichi OCF. Amazing update for me so far, all this waiting really paid off.

First time ever booting XMP2 without changing any settings, this Teamgroup DIMM has hidden 9466G4 profile at 1.45v.
mzCx5Cq.png


9066G2 with tight timings wasn't stable before and needed 1.5v, now its relatively stable at 1.45v (passed 3 cycles of TM5 and I just exit)
9sE34CG.png


9133G2 with any timings never booted before, now it boots with tight timings at 1.5v but its not stable. I think I probably need around 1.6v to stabilize this one or massively bring down the thermals.
gNLJA77.png

I think cold (dram temp) boot test is a good yardstick at least thats how I check and compare against the experts this gen. If someone can stabilize 9333, 95xx / 96xx is usually in their bootable range.

Usually -200 to 400MHz of the max single stick bootable frequency can be stabilized assuming no training/odt/slope issues. Slot B has better signal than A. It depends on how much time you want to put into mem testing. I do max boot test on slot B 1 by 1 and then worse stick match with slot B, better stick in slot A.

max bootable MHz with only primaries set (based on the experts, C38-42 seems to be the gold standard around 9000MHz) at maybe 1.6-1.65v VDD rest autos.

Don't boot into OS though, disable the boot disks if necessary. Unstable memory is bound to break OS. There's a good chance of BIOS corruption requiring rom flashback during experimentation, not exactly for the faint hearted.

From the way it scales likely in the high 30-low 40c's, and how well it trains and boots will usually give you a good yardstick on how well the chip cold scales. If it just walls at a low (sub 1.6 voltage) where it frequency doesn't respond to more voltage, its usually not worth blocking the ram.
I tried this as well, max bootable for my dimms are 9200G2 with 1.5v. 9266 with 1.6 won't even boot. I did them one at a time on Slot B. But this was prior to updating bios so maybe things have improved idk.

Think these sticks are good to take off heatspreader, void warranty and put on the Iceman Direct Die kits?
 

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
If tibcsi is 9333 with skews ODT and stuff and you're targetting around 9000 its a fair number, can consider going for it or wait till he's on 117 and the updated MRC and see much of a buff he got.

Looks like ASRock did a good job integrating the MRC and other subsystem firmware updates. Veii reported ODT improvements and SA/IMC voltage usages may have changed.
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,342
Reaction score
1,491
What he said about updating the BIOS and it'd be fine for the 14th and 13th Gen for Intel, that's not something I can trust lol...

Link to just one of the many Intel RMA horror stories

If you want to keep your board and switch to a CPU with no problems, perhaps consider a 12900K bah.
I wouldn't. If you run static voltage, the new bioses force you to use C-states. You can't disable it anymore. That's why I didn't update mine. I've been running fixed frequency and voltage for a while now and no degradation or crashes. Prefer c-states disabled as I find the system is much more responsive. I don't leave my system on overnight or leave it on idle for extended times.
 

alauz

Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2001
Messages
168
Reaction score
66
I wouldn't. If you run static voltage, the new bioses force you to use C-states. You can't disable it anymore. That's why I didn't update mine. I've been running fixed frequency and voltage for a while now and no degradation or crashes. Prefer c-states disabled as I find the system is much more responsive. I don't leave my system on overnight or leave it on idle for extended times.
For pro users like you who know how to manage voltage to keep your CPU from dying then it's okay, but unfortunately less than 90% of the buyers did it the wrong way. One wrong setting, end up only manifesting months down the line, it's frustrating to see others experiencing it, much less experiencing it myself.
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,342
Reaction score
1,491
Spent more time on Z890 Apex and the GSkill 8800 kit, no matter what I do its just not stable, 8600 needed 1.5v to stabilize. The same Teamgroup DIMM could do 8800 with 1.3v stable. I contacted Gskill to see what they say.
YwfsEol.png


Also updated firmware on Taichi OCF. Amazing update for me so far, all this waiting really paid off.

First time ever booting XMP2 without changing any settings, this Teamgroup DIMM has hidden 9466G4 profile at 1.45v.
mzCx5Cq.png


9066G2 with tight timings wasn't stable before and needed 1.5v, now its relatively stable at 1.45v (passed 3 cycles of TM5 and I just exit)
9sE34CG.png


9133G2 with any timings never booted before, now it boots with tight timings at 1.5v but its not stable. I think I probably need around 1.6v to stabilize this one or massively bring down the thermals.
gNLJA77.png


I tried this as well, max bootable for my dimms are 9200G2 with 1.5v. 9266 with 1.6 won't even boot. I did them one at a time on Slot B. But this was prior to updating bios so maybe things have improved i
Think these sticks are good to take off heatspreader, void warranty and put on the Iceman Direct Die kits?a

For pro users like you who know how to manage voltage to keep your CPU from dying then it's okay, but unfortunately less than 90% of the buyers did it the wrong way. One wrong setting, end up only manifesting months down the line, it's frustrating to see others experiencing it, much less experiencing it myself.

Then the new bioses will suit these people. But it's very aggressive as it downclocks heavily to prioritise power limits.
 

alauz

Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2001
Messages
168
Reaction score
66
Then the new bioses will suit these people. But it's very aggressive as it downclocks heavily to prioritise power limits.
If it clocks down that heavily, do you think maybe a 12900K would out-perform it in gaming? Multi-core I think 12900K still lose since 14900K has more E-Cores.
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,342
Reaction score
1,491
If it clocks down that heavily, do you think maybe a 12900K would out-perform it in gaming? Multi-core I think 12900K still lose since 14900K has more E-Cores.
12th Gen has low clocks so I don't think it will out perform in gaming. It's a very stable and robust CPU for its time. Don't forget ring ratio on the 12th gen is also lower due to architecture together with poorer Ecores. So I'd say 13th/14th Gen is still a very potent gaming CPU if you know how to run it. I would go so far to say it's just easier to get AMD if you're not familiar or do not like to tinker with bios settings. It just works flawlessly.
 

alauz

Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2001
Messages
168
Reaction score
66
Unfortunately so, how about the Core Ultra 200 series have you tried it yet?
 

fkchon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
931
Reaction score
466
People often forget how much more increased L2 cache Arrow Lake brings so that increases the performance alot depending on workload. I think gaming in 4K tuned 14900K, 9800X3D or 285K will be more or less the same, 9800X3D will definitely pull ahead on games that favor 3DVCache.

But then theres the microstuttering on the X3D chips, tuning memory helps reduce it alot but my experience is even tuning 6400 C28 1:1 I can still feel it. Arrow Lake despite also being chiplet design with higher latency in memory I don't feel it.

If they could make Arrow Lake compute die with memory controller on the same die, that will be the best CPU.

power-idle.png

Power user like me don't care too much about idle power, but hey maybe you spend alot of time just idle on desktop or you WFH just doing word processing maybe it adds up.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,305
Reaction score
6,572
His channel is for common users so most pro users won't be following his settings.

My 265K just works. No X3D burn up. No BSOD.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top