jogging and motivation thread

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,805
Reaction score
1,809


No plate super trainers shootout. Just take as reference rather than absolute truth becuz from all the Xiaonian reviews i seen, this is the only guy that feels the Xiaonian is best for zone 2 runs and not good for speedworks.

I recently did a fast run in the Xiaonian, avg pace 3:51/km for 3.8km, felt it could sustain, of course not as power as carbon plate but not that much different as opposed to say the amount of effort I need to put in to maintain such pace if I use an eleos or a novablast
 

rECKleSSfElla

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
9,717
Reaction score
1,060
I recently did a fast run in the Xiaonian, avg pace 3:51/km for 3.8km, felt it could sustain, of course not as power as carbon plate but not that much different as opposed to say the amount of effort I need to put in to maintain such pace if I use an eleos or a novablast
Yar. I hit my personal target for 3k and 5k running in the Xiaonians, while nursing slight runner's knee. When finish felt quite effortless. Now working towards 10k target. This shoe wants you to go fast. No way i can do Zone 2 in the Xiaonians. Tried running in the 6-7mins range in them and i cant settle into any kind of rhythm and just feel the shoes are working against me all the way.
 

VonDeVous

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2003
Messages
1,127
Reaction score
300
Yar. I hit my personal target for 3k and 5k running in the Xiaonians, while nursing slight runner's knee. When finish felt quite effortless. Now working towards 10k target. This shoe wants you to go fast. No way i can do Zone 2 in the Xiaonians. Tried running in the 6-7mins range in them and i cant settle into any kind of rhythm and just feel the shoes are working against me all the way.
what about after u chiong a hard run, and do a short cool down, maybe 2km. will u feel its normal to maintain 6-7min range?
 

rECKleSSfElla

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
9,717
Reaction score
1,060
what about after u chiong a hard run, and do a short cool down, maybe 2km. will u feel its normal to maintain 6-7min range?
I try not to go slower than 6mins when i run in the xiaonians. I do most of my runs in gym and stadium where i bring along an extra pair of shoes so if i need to do slower stuff i just switch out.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,354
Reaction score
7,992
I recently did a fast run in the Xiaonian, avg pace 3:51/km for 3.8km, felt it could sustain, of course not as power as carbon plate but not that much different as opposed to say the amount of effort I need to put in to maintain such pace if I use an eleos or a novablast

Yar. I hit my personal target for 3k and 5k running in the Xiaonians, while nursing slight runner's knee. When finish felt quite effortless. Now working towards 10k target. This shoe wants you to go fast. No way i can do Zone 2 in the Xiaonians. Tried running in the 6-7mins range in them and i cant settle into any kind of rhythm and just feel the shoes are working against me all the way.
For me, I am fine with 6 -7 min/km pace with the dynafish xiaonian.. The rocker does wants to make you up your cadence.
 
Last edited:

rECKleSSfElla

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
9,717
Reaction score
1,060
Anyone changed the stock insole of the Xiaonians to something thicker and noticed a difference? The stock insole is 2mm and i ordered the 5mm 大毛牛 from xiaonian. Dont know if it will make any difference but only paid around $7 with free shipping from PDD so why the hell not.
 

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,805
Reaction score
1,809
Anyone changed the stock insole of the Xiaonians to something thicker and noticed a difference? The stock insole is 2mm and i ordered the 5mm 大毛牛 from xiaonian. Dont know if it will make any difference but only paid around $7 with free shipping from PDD so why the hell not.
@xllms He maybe changed. I know he uses diff soles. For me, I never take out soles of shoes unless cleaning haha
 

GlassDoor

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Messages
702
Reaction score
1,233
Last time there are weird distance run like the Straits Time run 18.45km, and the Adidas KOTR run at 16.8km. There're also use to have these Chinese new year run with distances ends with 8.

I will likely go for the 21km eco run. Discount code. The 15km run is likely part of the 21km route. One year I ran the eco run and due to the starting the run after 7:30pm, it got too hot and decided to DNF at 15km check point. Which is one of their valid end point. Just rest there, with Iso tonic til the bus pick us up to the race village to collect our bags.
there is a discount code for the 21km? me not income client.
 

GlassDoor

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Messages
702
Reaction score
1,233
@xllms He maybe changed. I know he uses diff soles. For me, I never take out soles of shoes unless cleaning haha
I replaced XN's insole after about 110km or so. basically the forefoot area of the insole was totally flatten. Also the insole sort of a sweat sponge. Replaced with an old boston 12's paper thin insole. Ponding in the shoe seems to have reduced drastically. YMMV
 

xllms

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2001
Messages
9,237
Reaction score
5,130


No plate super trainers shootout. Just take as reference rather than absolute truth becuz from all the Xiaonian reviews i seen, this is the only guy that feels the Xiaonian is best for zone 2 runs and not good for speedworks.

i agree with him, Xiaonian is a better shoe for zone 2, zone 3 long distance runs than speedwork cos forefoot too thick.
 

winningeleven

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
10,910
Reaction score
3,993
All the while . I just run and don't be any speed training . 1st time doing interval and just did a yasso 800m. I just did 6 sets x 800m but I felt I should able to go total of 8 sets . I stopped because I wanted to fetch my wife after work . I hope in future I can improve to do more sets and have a shorter rest time. Today I aim 800m below 3mins 45 sec and rest of 2 mins. Happy that I actually ran faster today
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,503
Reaction score
11,671
All the while . I just run and don't be any speed training . 1st time doing interval and just did a yasso 800m. I just did 6 sets x 800m but I felt I should able to go total of 8 sets . I stopped because I wanted to fetch my wife after work . I hope in future I can improve to do more sets and have a shorter rest time. Today I aim 800m below 3mins 45 sec and rest of 2 mins. Happy that I actually ran faster today

Great stuff. A fair amount is actually better neuromuscular recruitment/drive if that is the case.....something like "beginner's gains" in this area. Hope that you can also develop even better form also and aid some RE, which translates into more speed. Of coz your muscular strength also need to be able to tahan and hold this for the distance you are doing.

You can even put some cherry and whipped cream on the top with some SITs, or if you are a firm believer that such high speeds are high risk for injury for those who are older, then do strides. Anything "new" that you do = tendency to improve.
SITs can be done with just 50-60m distances and short reps (I dont exceed 4, but i have been doing them with my kid long before Covid believe it or not).
Strides also not supposed to be really taxing, dont turn them into yasso 800s or any interval based style training, that is not the aim. But they are longer than SITs, just search on youtube on how to do these 2.....but personally i think since you are into longer distances, SITs dont need to do that many reps and 50-75m really sufficient liao. If scared about injury, you can lower it with hills, 40m-50m. Also, you can do it like strides style of acceleration and deceleration, but then aim towards 75-100m with the start and ending not as explosive.


If anyone thinks this is BS and time wasting and does not believe it'd help HM or FM long distance, then go see how Bekele does them strides, most famous example. Other notable egs include Haile Gabrielsee or Mo Farah. Lagi a few dozen reps and multiple times a week, not just the few reps that most runners would do and only on speed day which might even be just once per week.
But no need to spend too much volume or time, even a little goes a long way from beginning stage. If find them interesting and it is for you, can invest more time.

Some folks do not think this is effective training. You go regular neighbourhood stadium or PCN or what and see who does them, less those doing structured / coached sessions. Think we similar talked about glute max exercises before also at the stadium, similar story,,,,
 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,503
Reaction score
11,671

IVP Track & Field Championships 2026 - Men 10000 Meter Run​

Institute-Varsity-Polytechnic (IVP) Games Track & Field Championships 2026

 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,503
Reaction score
11,671
VO2max tested for Truett Hanes. (WR push up holder now trying for Olympic Trials for marathon)

68.9.
Not a pro, but i think might not be good enough for a 2:15 and below, after accounting for some buffer needed. But i guess he knows that (that's why he still has 2 more years) and aiming to improve
In fact if i am not terribly wrong, best to get above 60 for sub 3, so that this is no way a limiter. If you are mid 50s then you gotta be terribly efficient in 2-3 other areas

 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top