jogging and motivation thread

sales69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2003
Messages
13,555
Reaction score
8,988
OK bah...its all about value proposition. This Runsifly is being compared as a budget Asics Metaspeed for race days and its only costs 1/3 of a Metaspeed. Currently using my Xiaonians as an all round do it all instead of having multiple different types of shoes in the rotation. Much as i want to get a pair of Superblast 2 on the cheap from PDD, think i rather just get another pair of Xiaonians because they really are that damn good.
Ya Xiaonian really is jack of all trades and does it exceptionally well. Super value!
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,275
Reaction score
11,572
OK bah...its all about value proposition. This Runsifly is being compared as a budget Asics Metaspeed for race days and its only costs 1/3 of a Metaspeed. Currently using my Xiaonians as an all round do it all instead of having multiple different types of shoes in the rotation. Much as i want to get a pair of Superblast 2 on the cheap from PDD, think i rather just get another pair of Xiaonians because they really are that damn good.

If really got need (coz run volume is not low), can get another pair and stock up. Coz like the Plaid 1.0, a similar one might not come round again.
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
Try our neighbouring countries. Aims certified one. All the major marathons, even if ballot also quite expensive including air tickets, hotels,etc
all the SEA marathon all start at 230 , only sg start at 430. I am keen to do the Da Nang Marathon , but need to see my CEO, whatever races she signs up , I need to accompany
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
First race of the year confirmed going.

Cycling race in KL where I came in 14X/ 1100 last year.
Hopefully able to finish below 100 position this year.

For running - might go for mt fuji marathon again , but will need to see if can get the slot
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,344
Reaction score
7,973
Yea i more or less understand the time goal thingy. Srsly continue what really interests you....think you can follow training plans better, then just do rinse repeat. If it comes, it comes....... It might be a certain genetic ceiling based on certain other factors that you cannot control, but based on aerobic fitness that possibly might already be the genetic ceiling. Heck, even to get close to the ceiling that itself might be a challenge, dont even talk abt reaching it. I think i remember you saying that your 5k you can do like around 22 mins, that is already more or less close to a 4 hrs FM. So if there are certain limiters for your 5k that you cant get past, then lagi for FM distance it is probably going to be even more challenging.

The "unfortunate" thing about marathons is that this distance, by the nature of its long distance and also lolca racing context is not easy to achieve, for eg only happens once a year ie SCSM which is what...the only properly verified race distance. I mean, yeah other distances have their own speciifc challenges as well of coz, not saying the others are easier...just different challenges. But for SG working local context, the time needed to properly train for FM already is a big limiter specifically coz this is a really long distance.

5km is not a good indicator for Marathon timing. If any, I think HM timing will be a better indicator.

I think @Ender HM timing is around 145-150. So definitely Sub 4 is achievable. But then again, running a marathon is a different ball game.
So frustrating when most recent HM performance indicates it is a realistic goal. I also checked two ladies runners with 10KM and HM PB slower can achieved sub 4. LOL. Endurance truly lacking.
 

Kuudere

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
25,951
Reaction score
17,189
Haha I am trying to think of the ideal mileage for my training block. Signed up for Hatyai 21. Will begin my training block on 1st March so that’s around 10 weeks of training.
I have a conservative mileage increment for my training block. I was averaging 70k/week for 2 months in Oct-Dec, though I started my training block at end September for my HM race.

Going into 18 week/55 miles, it will peak at 88km/week and the average mileage including taper and race week is 72km/week average. Should be manageable for me, because I am not changing it a lot from my previous block.
Will u be doing 15km or half at NTUC? haha. How's the training for your marathon in goldcoast? Hope your pfitz plan is going well!
15km only, I know 100% I willn't cramp during the race. The worst that can happen is GI issues, but I intend to fix this with early morning runs + gels.

I fell sick + left knee injury after doing 2 weeks. I was about to reach the end of 2 weeks then the left knee injury + illness persisted for a while.

Now, I am just on track to finish week 1, and then all the rain happened. But I have 2 runs to go then I am done for the week.
As with any sports pursuits, is generally the interest and making it as a hobby lah. So it becomes a lifestyle.

For some it might just be a hobby based pursuit, while for some, they find it interesting to chase performance goals/figures.

If for health gains, i know it is difficult to prioritise exercising sessions over other recreational interests in life or family commitments. But if family is able to do it together with you, it is easier.

Of coz, if the day job is demanding and/or commuting is jialat, then most bets are off. By the time if reach home is 8+ to 9+pm period already, no way. The next priority then is sleep. I feel the best is if can reach home by 7pm, so that quick shower and makan is 8pm you'd have free time already. So 8.30 earliest can go out. Either that or sleep early but wake up early the next morning.
Ya if you reach back at 8-9pm, it's better to eat dinner and then chill for the night. Maybe do strengthening exercises or plyometrics. Become a morning runner. It's much better since eating late means higher chance of GI issues. If you sleep late, no energy for work the next day.
I used the Pfitzinger entry plan in the first SCSM after covid (2023?), think it's the 18/55. It was really hard for slow runners like me. Trimp score was too much for me. I made it thru though, with thoughts of giving up and need for massage and foam rolling. I think this plan is suitable for those already in the sub 3:45 full marathon aiming for sub 3:30. I was a 4:30 then aiming for sub 4, but it got me to 4:18 then. Still I find it was too hard for my level. TAO has lesser TRIMP score for me, plan was easier, and it brought me to 4:14 without the urge to look for massage or foam rolling.
I guess the Pfitzinger plan should suit you, being a faster and stronger run.
I am going to follow this pace for pfitzinger:

recovery: 6.11
aerobic: 5.42
long run: 5.27
marathon: 4.57
LT: 4.13

I am going to try to space out the rest so that I can run without getting injuries. Interestingly, there's 8-15k race inside the plan. I am going to do the 15k race in income eco run, so that counts as one. Might run 10k and 8k for the other two respectively. :ROFLMAO:

I have to monitor training load or TRIMP score as well. Will see how it goes, since I am aiming for sub 3:30 full marathon.
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
all the SEA marathon all start at 230 , only sg start at 430. I am keen to do the Da Nang Marathon , but need to see my CEO, whatever races she signs up , I need to accompany
Danang marathon next month wor. Think you need wait next year Liao. I wanted to go but kena injury
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
So frustrating when most recent HM performance indicates it is a realistic goal. I also checked two ladies runners with 10KM and HM PB slower can achieved sub 4. LOL. Endurance truly lacking.
I think you should know the reason. Your TAO training plan lack of long runs aka 28-32km runs. I think you need minimum 4 of these runs to be comfortable going into a marathon to hit your goal
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,275
Reaction score
11,572
So frustrating when most recent HM performance indicates it is a realistic goal. I also checked two ladies runners with 10KM and HM PB slower can achieved sub 4. LOL. Endurance truly lacking.

Actually for races, esp big scale races with very high participation rates, i really like and at the same time dont like the masses one.

1. Masses = fun, for sure. Atmosphere, can raise spirits up when the grinding gets tough.

2. Performance = Other than slow starts and whatnots, did i tell you someone just suddenly stepped out in front of me at AHM 2023 without checking and he continued to slowly jog ie not overtaking smartly, so i had to jam brake at around 4:00 pace flat? IIRC at the Marina Barrage bridge after turning left, that asphalt area frequent runners and esp cyclists (rolling down mah) would know even that asphalt area is ever so slightly downhill one. Then just along BEG just before Sheares bridge i got ITBS pain liao, whether anything to do with the jam brake, i dont know.

^^^^^^
For road cycling, such very slow overtaking and not checking prior, also not really zai/steady and can piss off other fellow cyclists. Vast majority of cyclists HATE braking, if not for safety reasons like avoiding cars or red lights...heck many of them will cheong even red lights. For me, i am always aware of this, hence i do check before "venturing out", even over at MBS area which is not even dedicated cycling lane or on the road. coz habit is there.
Really good habit to form, it's already like muscle memory for me, whereby on the road it's for survival, not only coz of cars but not holding your line would cause accidents with other cyclists on the leftmost same lane.
(can get shouted at by other cyclists one, coz high consequences)


Ok itchy finger, go ask AI. Sometimes also dont know whether true or not, this google AI. 🤣
Everything like also Yes yes yes......basket.


AI Overview
Yes, sudden hard braking during running can absolutely trigger Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS), or cause a sudden flare-up of the condition. While ITBS is considered an overuse injury that usually develops over time, a sudden, high-intensity action like breaking sharply can cause immediate, acute irritation.
Torquay Sports Medicine Centre +3
 
Last edited:

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
OK bah...it’s all about value proposition. This Runsifly is being compared as a budget Asics Metaspeed for race days and its only costs 1/3 of a Metaspeed. Currently using my Xiaonians as an all round do it all instead of having multiple different types of shoes in the rotation. Much as i want to get a pair of Superblast 2 on the cheap from PDD, think i rather just get another pair of Xiaonians because they really are that damn good.
Lol I got Evo SL, Xiaonian and Lining redhare 9 ultra.

Evo SL retired at 600km. Out of these 3, I like lining the most. Very bouncy and responsive.

If I am going for a long run, red hare 9 ultra will be my choice for non plated shoe. I think Xiaonian is more like an easy day shoe for me but at 110 sgd, really can’t complain considering that Evo SL is 210 sgd
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
I have a conservative mileage increment for my training block. I was averaging 70k/week for 2 months in Oct-Dec, though I started my training block at end September for my HM race.

Going into 18 week/55 miles, it will peak at 88km/week and the average mileage including taper and race week is 72km/week average. Should be manageable for me, because I am not changing it a lot from my previous block.

15km only, I know 100% I willn't cramp during the race. The worst that can happen is GI issues, but I intend to fix this with early morning runs + gels.

I fell sick + left knee injury after doing 2 weeks. I was about to reach the end of 2 weeks then the left knee injury + illness persisted for a while.

Now, I am just on track to finish week 1, and then all the rain happened. But I have 2 runs to go then I am done for the week.

Ya if you reach back at 8-9pm, it's better to eat dinner and then chill for the night. Maybe do strengthening exercises or plyometrics. Become a morning runner. It's much better since eating late means higher chance of GI issues. If you sleep late, no energy for work the next day.

I am going to follow this pace for pfitzinger:

recovery: 6.11
aerobic: 5.42
long run: 5.27
marathon: 4.57
LT: 4.13

I am going to try to space out the rest so that I can run without getting injuries. Interestingly, there's 8-15k race inside the plan. I am going to do the 15k race in income eco run, so that counts as one. Might run 10k and 8k for the other two respectively. :ROFLMAO:

I have to monitor training load or TRIMP score as well. Will see how it goes, since I am aiming for sub 3:30 full marathon.
talking about training load, i think it is not a good performance indicator for me, i can suddenly increase my load, but I dont feel really fatigued. At least for cycling, for running , I go try to see if can suddenly increase load.

0yNuIOE.jpeg
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
Actually for races, esp big scale races with very high participation rates, i really like and at the same time dont like the masses one.
1. Masses = fun, for sure. Atmosphere, can raise spirits up when the grinding gets tough.
2. Performance = did i tell you someone just suddenly stepped out in front of me at AHM 2023 without checking and he continued to slowly jog ie not overtaking smartly, so i had to jam brake at around 4:00 pace flat? IIRC at the Marina Barrage bridge after turning left, that asphalt area frequent runners and esp cyclists (rolling down mah) would know even that asphalt area is ever so slightly downhill one. Then just along BEG just before Sheares bridge i got ITBS pain liao, whether anything to do with the jam brake, i dont know.

^^^^^^
For road cycling, such very slow overtaking and not checking prior, also not really zai/steady and can piss off other fellow cyclists. For me, i do check before "venturing out", even over at MBS area which is not even dedicated cycling lane or on the road.


Ok itchy finger, go ask AI. Sometimes also dont know whether true or not, this google AI. 🤣
Everything like also Yes yes yes......basket.


AI Overview
Yes, sudden hard braking during running can absolutely trigger Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS), or cause a sudden flare-up of the condition. While ITBS is considered an overuse injury that usually develops over time, a sudden, high-intensity action like breaking sharply can cause immediate, acute irritation.
Torquay Sports Medicine Centre +3
I personally dont cycle on PCN, alot of bobo people around GTBB area . I scared to crash inside PCN seen alot happen.

For road racing , is more tricky I just avoid people who "look tired"
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
I personally dont cycle on PCN, alot of bobo people around GTBB area . I scared to crash inside PCN seen alot happen.

For road racing , is more tricky I just avoid people who "look tired"
Now that I work around that area, I always run there after work. Hardly see those professional cyclists at that timing. Mostly is those hellobike tourists.

I always look behind when running lol. Afraid those cyclists just buang into me.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,275
Reaction score
11,572
Ya if you reach back at 8-9pm, it's better to eat dinner and then chill for the night. Maybe do strengthening exercises or plyometrics. Become a morning runner. It's much better since eating late means higher chance of GI issues. If you sleep late, no energy for work the next day.

Even if no GI issues, going out after 9.30pm sure affect sleep to a certain degree. Personally i no issue even if i return at 11-12mn and then sleep at 1am if it's a long but easy ride.
But any workouts unless if you can get out to do at 8 = good luck sleeping.

It's the adrenaline. Coz there were times in which i raced with boy boys on fixies or PMDs or heck even PMAs (some can go nearly 40kmh one, met before at BEG lol), couldnt sleep, even though length is only 1.5km BEG, then cross MB bridge and after that is GBTB, not say race lah......but "pacing". 🤣
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,275
Reaction score
11,572
I personally dont cycle on PCN, alot of bobo people around GTBB area . I scared to crash inside PCN seen alot happen.

For road racing , is more tricky I just avoid people who "look tired"

Yeah...... actually witnessed 2x SCDF ambulance episodes,, i shared before photo of the ambulance, runner and bicycle too for the GBTB one near the toilet area, the bends. I think hand broke for the runner coz of the way she was trying to support the hand, she was sitting on the cycling lane.

The other crash i witnessed was at Bay East Garden near the Marina Barrage bridge, the slope down + the slight curves there quite tricky if one is not paying attention and not "keeping left" from their respective directions.
That one i saw the crash directly, i cannot forget the crash sound, quite scary actually......i do drive but cars different coz got protection. Bikes vs bikes head on is.... ouch.
 

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,787
Reaction score
1,794
I have a conservative mileage increment for my training block. I was averaging 70k/week for 2 months in Oct-Dec, though I started my training block at end September for my HM race.

Going into 18 week/55 miles, it will peak at 88km/week and the average mileage including taper and race week is 72km/week average. Should be manageable for me, because I am not changing it a lot from my previous block.

15km only, I know 100% I willn't cramp during the race. The worst that can happen is GI issues, but I intend to fix this with early morning runs + gels.

I fell sick + left knee injury after doing 2 weeks. I was about to reach the end of 2 weeks then the left knee injury + illness persisted for a while.

Now, I am just on track to finish week 1, and then all the rain happened. But I have 2 runs to go then I am done for the week.

Ya if you reach back at 8-9pm, it's better to eat dinner and then chill for the night. Maybe do strengthening exercises or plyometrics. Become a morning runner. It's much better since eating late means higher chance of GI issues. If you sleep late, no energy for work the next day.

I am going to follow this pace for pfitzinger:

recovery: 6.11
aerobic: 5.42
long run: 5.27
marathon: 4.57
LT: 4.13

I am going to try to space out the rest so that I can run without getting injuries. Interestingly, there's 8-15k race inside the plan. I am going to do the 15k race in income eco run, so that counts as one. Might run 10k and 8k for the other two respectively. :ROFLMAO:

I have to monitor training load or TRIMP score as well. Will see how it goes, since I am aiming for sub 3:30 full marathon.
all the best! Sounds tough but very doable for u! Hope the injuries are behind u
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top