jogging and motivation thread

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,322
Reaction score
11,587


Just wondering, have you been able to get your pull ups nailed or still doing workouts for them?

I just came across the original / good pull up tutorial explaining in details that i used to train off from....so tot of sharing with you. Nowadays many of the shorts dont explain in details enough and so might delay beginners in getting their first pull up (or never at all).
Also, 1 more detail that this video missed, dont do the grip that the lady is using (ie suicide grip). Instead, use your thumb to wrap around the bar and position the thumb over the index finger or just beside it, also warp your fingers starting with the pink, then ring, middle, index finger and ending with the thumb last.
This is esp crucial if your deadhang grip strength isnt high as the grip is foundational.

And also, next time when you get more reps in, you can even use a semi false grip, ie rotating your hands/knuckles forward when gripping in addition to things like liquid chalk. This is supposed to get you chest/high pull ups too (im not till that level yet). But this needs additional strength training for the wrist flexors....but as usual, nothing is impossible if you progressively overload.

 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,322
Reaction score
11,587
Seems like no Runmax uncle footage this year round........he did private pacing duties to do sub-3 for a school group
Another runner's POV footage



Runmax uncle just posted 15 mins ago.

Private pacer duty for One Tokyo School this time round

 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,322
Reaction score
11,587
Cried
Nowadays so many folks so emotional in Marathons.......

But it did take 6 years for Mary I guess.....and she is approaching age 50 already.
Also prob coz her watch said 3:00:01 :crazy: (official 3:00:01 rounded up next day to 3:00:02)

 
Last edited:

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,215
Reaction score
1,104
Saw SRY vlog of him pacing Ann Pow. This Ann Pow run 3.15 also like nothing. Although no footage from 30km onwards, I think her splits are pretty even.

Btw, Ann Pow quite chick lol hahahah
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,322
Reaction score
11,587
First intermediate brick session

The kang shi bo honey green tea seems to be good, totally no issue when tested at these (race) paces. 500ml = 37g
Regardless, before that also ate 2 bananas (got potassium) after dinner and also salty enough dinner.

Too warm also not feeling too good at the end part, cut short the run, was wanting to over distance to 7 or even 8km. Or also possibly over-paced it, without iced water also.
Checked it, heat index was 32 deg C.


Q1Prrbe.jpg


xwZ1ogv.jpg
 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,322
Reaction score
11,587
Wah......this guy (Stu) also likes the Feidian series. Challenger 4 and 5.

He got the 5 off taobao, seems like no issue in Aus nowdays. Direct Air ship available. But private seller, that's why cheaper than official.


 
Last edited:

Kuudere

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
25,954
Reaction score
17,193
Actually gonna use 2XU to run 4.15-4.16 pace and see how long I can last haha.

Training have not been going smooth since my injury. But I am still hopeful
Depends on your goals, I wouldn’t go all out if injured unless you don’t have many upcoming races lined up. Or you really have no choice but to race competitively for income (pro runner). Otherwise, much rather take things easy, if not injury doesn’t recover and keep relapsing.
The book has a paragraph or two on tune up races and explain the rational of tune up races. You can decide what to do after reading it.
Screenshot-2026-03-05-080431.png


Did my lactate threshold run yesterday, will be aiming for 4.05 min/km 8km tune up and 4.08 min/km 10k tune up race. Seems like a realistic goal later on.
Is this a hack



just lean forward? No extra effort to get more performance huh?

A slight forward lean is the right way to run. But as people run longer, their running form dips over time. It’s important to condition yourself to stick to the forward lean running form as you get more tired. I have this issue as I run further, but I just remind myself no matter how tired I am, I need to adjust my form to forward lean. Takes a lot of runs to get used to it.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,322
Reaction score
11,587
Interesting new nuance on fuelling.

The crossover point from using predominantly glycogen to fat stores with intakes of 60, 90 and 120g/h.
She felt the best with 120g/h. This is Holly Archer, ex decathelete, present (EU, national) elite grade runner and Hyroxer, iirc 32 min 10k and first FM last year 2:39.

In the past, they did test with 1 x GCN guy presenter (Connor) and 1 x GTN lady presenter and Connor was an ex-pro actually and still in good fitness currently, and found the usage rate was around 45g/h. This is the actual oxidation/usage rate (not intake, not GI tolerance)


For me i think i shall just stick to bananas or similar (slightly more complex carbs vs HFCS or honey which is still glucose fructose mix at similar enough ratios) and then kang shi bo honey green tea which is super easy to intake esp on the bike it's literally second nature, seems no issue at fast paces. Cheap and good and still easy to eat.
Think every weekend 2 x full meals of porridge, prata, fishball noodles, indo bakmi etc super trained liao > 100 times liao in the past 1 year plus. :crazy:
(sometimes even mutton curry or malay green chilli chicken rice but that's towards the end part).......though of coz that's at lower intensities.


At 120g per hour, I experienced:
✔ Lower perceived effort (RPE)
✔ Better perceived energy levels
✔ Improved fluid retention
✔ Less body mass loss
✔ A delayed shift toward fat oxidation

This matters because carbohydrate produces more energy per litre of oxygen than fat, making it the more efficient fuel at marathon pace. When fuelling at 60g per hour, I lost 1.4kg of body mass, likely mostly fluid, and showed an earlier shift toward fat use, meaning less efficient energy production for the same effort. This is why fuelling shouldn’t be guesswork.

ps. Some might note that is for Holly, an elite fast athelete. The researchers noted that it's the same or even more important that average athletes fuel the same, coz they are out there on the course for even longer, so delaying that carb -> fax oxidation switch point till a latter stage is even more advantageous.

 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,322
Reaction score
11,587
A slight forward lean is the right way to run. But as people run longer, their running form dips over time. It’s important to condition yourself to stick to the forward lean running form as you get more tired. I have this issue as I run further, but I just remind myself no matter how tired I am, I need to adjust my form to forward lean. Takes a lot of runs to get used to it.
Is this a hack



just lean forward? No extra effort to get more performance huh?

Put it this way, the ground contact times and "braking forces" and biomechanics, vertical bounce blah etc aide .......if cadence is exactly the same, then the difference between 4:15 and 6:00 is that the stride length is different. Stride length is the "end product" of all those factors, no ways around that, it's just basic physics.
Also, though it does not seem obvious from the A-B video, the heel lift and knee lift for 4:15 is a bit higher than 6:00.....this one you cannot help one with faster paces (so do your strengthening for hammies and TFL/illiopsoas etc lol...which can also have better economy effects).


Also gonna be different power (watt, kJ)....which of coz affects your body's energy system(s) production, which affects HR...... But there is no way, i think even for elite athletes, to be doing 4:15 and 6:00 at the same HR.
Ultimately HR is a very good indicator of how much energy (effort) you are using.


Of coz, even for the same person, there will be differing running economy at difference paces with such tweaks in running form, but they are in the single digit percentages (doesnt cross beyong 10%)........ also depends on how much you strength trained and any other things you have done like plyo in which different paces also possibly would have different RE based on differing assistance from the SSC mainly due to your achilles tendon and aided by simi muscle/tendon as a whole unit and neuro factors.

I dont think that "braking force" mechanism would also be that much different.

I also can stick to say 180 cadence (listen to dnb music lah) and do 4:15 and 6:00 pace, you can too if you try it.

Expanding on 1 point above.
AI :
Yes, different running paces can have different running economy (RE) responses to plyometric training, primarily because faster running speeds rely more heavily on the stretch-shortening cycle (SSC), which plyometric training specifically improves. Plyometrics increase muscle-tendon stiffness and neuromuscular power, leading to better energy storage and return at high speeds, which improves the efficiency of high-speed running more significantly than slow-paced running.
PubMed Central (PMC) (.gov) +3
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,322
Reaction score
11,587
Is this a hack



just lean forward? No extra effort to get more performance huh?


Ultimately, dont get too worried about all the minor details, you can see from the above, it's really too much, it's not something that one can pick everything up in just 3-6 months . And if you try to put your mind to learn and force it coz of points A - Z listed, the more you cannot learn or just take longer to learn.....unless if you are really talented and have a gift for running and hence can "absorb" every points listed from A-Z.


Just do your strides, with a bit of short 40-60m sprints (if pro and strong and fast liao then extend to 75m). Hill sprints might lower injuries from sprinting to be lower too.
These do reinforce neuromuscular good form, or put it this way when you just jog you are just much more likely to learn bad form.

Also dont forget, you and others might have some wierd funny biomechanical quirks....we all have, just a matter of how much and how many only. Your body has a good ability to sort itself out tho , same thing with cycling.......so just do strides, do your strengthening to aid and that'd be about it. Your foot strikes etc all will more or less naturally sort itself out as it'll try to find the most comfortable and efficient way to run but it will take time. You'd also really need to aid that process with strengthening esp with faster running, cant stress that enough, even though it's unpopular with a fair number of runners....go google what are the standards needed for various muscles.


Able to properly lean forward and maintain for a good distance also depends heavily on you core strength, which acts as the stabilizer between your legs as the "force producer" and the upper parts being propelled forward. Might not seem intuitive but this becomes more and more important when you try to run fast and longer, also indirectly aiding overall RE etc.
Probably also why some folks cannot / find it difficult to run fast when they are sloppy, weak.
This also plays out in a similar manner in cycling. maybe to a much smaller degree ba.......but it's also foundational.


All these things do add up ultimately, quite foundational

ps. Try to run 2-3k first (if you have been doing long distances of 8-15k at slow 8-10 min paces and not solely/only being health focussed, really best to regress it down), or even fast intervals, build it up. When one is not strong enough (strength training) tries to gun so far, the fatigue just Fs things up and you'd never learn.
Strides reinforces and build good form via neuromuscular, and then good neuromuscular muscle memory from then on.......also difficult to kena very bad form liao. If you are still a NSmen as in young enough, there is really no reason why cannot run fast, even if BMI is high.
Wont take very long also, after which you can do longer distances and slower paces of your choosing to build up aerobic base.

But of coz this is if you are interested in running form and stuff, if you are just after aerobic base and duration rather than speed/efficiency, then probably anything is fine as long as you are not injured.
 
Last edited:

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,215
Reaction score
1,104
Depends on your goals, I wouldn’t go all out if injured unless you don’t have many upcoming races lined up. Or you really have no choice but to race competitively for income (pro runner). Otherwise, much rather take things easy, if not injury doesn’t recover and keep relapsing.

Screenshot-2026-03-05-080431.png


Did my lactate threshold run yesterday, will be aiming for 4.05 min/km 8km tune up and 4.08 min/km 10k tune up race. Seems like a realistic goal later on.

A slight forward lean is the right way to run. But as people run longer, their running form dips over time. It’s important to condition yourself to stick to the forward lean running form as you get more tired. I have this issue as I run further, but I just remind myself no matter how tired I am, I need to adjust my form to forward lean. Takes a lot of runs to get used to it.
Actually my end goal not just sub 90 haha. Looking to hit sub 88 this year. Must dare to dream in order to hit it.
 

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,793
Reaction score
1,799
Actually my end goal not just sub 90 haha. Looking to hit sub 88 this year. Must dare to dream in order to hit it.
Actually for me just realised that whenever I have goals leading up to races, I end up cramping or not achieving anything. My sub 20 5km, pbs for half and 10km last year was when I went into the races thinking I will just do my best without having a goal in mind.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,345
Reaction score
7,979
Actually for me just realised that whenever I have goals leading up to races, I end up cramping or not achieving anything. My sub 20 5km, pbs for half and 10km last year was when I went into the races thinking I will just do my best without having a goal in mind.
Strangely, my 5km PB was an unexpected too, it was 21:39 during the covid opening up period. Basically for almost two years, I did no high intensity training and did a 100% very strict MAF training where I kept my HR below 128bpm. Zero high intensity workout. It was also these two years I built the most mileage/year in my lifetime due to this very low intensity runs and the covid shut down that gave me too much time plus no goals to aim for coz no race. When the stadium finally opened up for public, I decided to check how much of my lactate threshold have degraded. I surprised myself, coz prior to MAF, I just barely reach 22:30.
 

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,793
Reaction score
1,799
Strangely, my 5km PB was an unexpected too, it was 21:39 during the covid opening up period. Basically for almost two years, I did no high intensity training and did a 100% very strict MAF training where I kept my HR below 128bpm. Zero high intensity workout. It was also these two years I built the most mileage/year in my lifetime due to this very low intensity runs and the covid shut down that gave me too much time plus no goals to aim for coz no race. When the stadium finally opened up for public, I decided to check how much of my lactate threshold have degraded. I surprised myself, coz prior to MAF, I just barely reach 22:30.
Maybe the body does better with less pressure/ stress?
 

GlassDoor

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Messages
702
Reaction score
1,233
Decathon's new range of Kiprun shoes worth checking out.
Tried their new range in store yesterday.. reallly like kiprun kipride max's feel, cushioned and smooth ride. But did not buy on the spot cos the padding is abit excessive. confirm sweat sponge and pond on longer runs for me.
But for new runners doing 30-40mins daily runs.. worth checking out.
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,215
Reaction score
1,104
Maybe the body does better with less pressure/ stress?
But do you feel pressured or stressed when you want to hit your goal timing?

I only get excited haha. But anyway your training will dictate the results. Got to train at your goal pace and see how your body feels. For me, I know sub 90 is way off now since my HR is spiking whenever I run at 4.15 so I know that’s not sustainable for HM for now.
 

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,793
Reaction score
1,799
But do you feel pressured or stressed when you want to hit your goal timing?

I only get excited haha. But anyway your training will dictate the results. Got to train at your goal pace and see how your body feels. For me, I know sub 90 is way off now since my HR is spiking whenever I run at 4.15 so I know that’s not sustainable for HM for now.
I think marathon especially. At start line starting the run, hr alr 166. Was unsustainable. Probably cause of dnf previous marathons and thinking whether can maintain goal pace.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top